Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:23 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times

Advertisements

I knew a guy who bragged about "nailing" a girl who was passed out. Sorry. I just could not be friends with someone who would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 AM

564 posts, read 448,929 times
I wouldn't want to continue an acquaintance with someone I discovered was so narrow minded that they couldn't tolerate a person who voted for a candidate they disliked.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We all have them-- things that just make us think "oh, I don't think we can be friends..." Just the sort of lifestyle choices that belie the fact you ultimately don't have much common ground as fellow humans. Sometimes you find these things out late in the game. And sometimes they crop up right away. They may seem petty to others, but they really often do point out incompatibilities.

So what are yours? Some of mine include--

Being an adult who loves Disney and wants to spend a lot of time there. This is especially true if you are shocked that I have never been, have zero desire to go, and then pressure me to join you on your next trip.
I love Disney. It's fun. I also love Disney movies and Harry Potter. I'm a kid at heart and refuse to grow up.
Telling me all about how much your wedding cost or being a wedding photographer.

Wanting to go drinking every night well into your 30s or 40s.
Once or twice a week is cool though right?
Ordering food or drinks for a table and never offering to buy a round. OR figuring out the bill to the last penny and not leaving a tip.
Agree with the not leaving a tip part but my friends tend to order much more expensive meals than I do, why should I have to split things evenly. How about each person pays for what they order.
Being a big fan of certain TV shows ("Master of None" on Netflix is a good litmus test. If you think its brilliant, there is a good chance we won't get along.)
I love Master of None. Aziz is fantastic.
What are some of yours?
We totally would not be friends...lol! See above in pink.

Mine would be: being rude to the waitstaff/not tipping
Being judgmental about what people like/don't like. I don't care if someone doesn't like the same things I like, so long as they are not douchey about it.
Overly political people on both ends of the spectrum also irk me. I'd rather not talk about politics or religion.
People who don't read--like any books at all and/or think reading is stupid, especially telling me that reading fiction is stupid.
People who always have to have it their way
People who do not like animals. I understand having allergies, but being a jerk to animals is a big No no.

Other than that, if you are a nice person, who treats others with respect we'll get along just find, regardless of what you like or don't like.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Couple of years ago, someone stopped being my friend because...wait for it...wait for it....
I love classic movies! Bogart, Cagney, Edward G, Bette Davis, you name 'em. 1930s, '40s, that era. Their claim: "You live in the past!"
LOL. I was talking about 80s movies like Breakfast Club one day and I friend was like, I don't watch old movies. I just looked at her and said well you're missing out, that's not even old! Old are my real faves like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. She looked at me like I was crazy for watching Black and White movies. LOL.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I wouldn't want to continue an acquaintance with someone I discovered was so narrow minded that they couldn't tolerate a person who voted for a candidate they disliked.
If a person voted for one of the following two 2016 presidential candidates - i.e. the Republican candidate or the Libertarian candidate - it vividly shows the state of one's psyche, level of knowledge, level of intellect, level of information held, level of with whom one identifies, and values.

So yes, it's important, and I wouldn't relish a friend of these values and level of information about society, history, politics, sociology, psychology, goals of society.

It's not a matter of being narrow-minded, it's a matter of values and knowledge.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-05-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 03:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If a person voted for one of the following two 2016 presidential candidates - i.e. the Republican candidate or the Libertarian candidate - it vividly shows the state of one's psyche, level of knowledge, level of intellect, level of information held, level of with whom one identifies, and values.

So yes, it's important, and I wouldn't relish a friend of these values and level of information about society, history, politics, sociology, psychology, goals of society.

It's not a matter of being narrow-minded, it's a matter of values and knowledge.
This! It's my life and I can stop being someone's friends for any choice I decide that's a dealbreaker.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
This! It's my life and I can stop being someone's friends for any choice I decide that's a dealbreaker.
Once again you misread and misinterpreted the content of my post. This is the 2nd time in 2 or 3 days you've done this!

that's okay, carry on.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM

388 posts, read 474,179 times
I hate it when people talk when they have food in their mouths. Disgusting.

Everyone slips occasionally, but someone who does this at every meal - yuck.

There's a few people I like who do this so I always get together with them when there will never be an opportunity to eat. Getting together at the library works.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

My personal opinion is I don't care who you voted for as long as we are friends, or I like you and we have other things in common. I don't talk politics as everyone has strong opinions about their beliefs and candidates. There is no right or wrong in these arguements, I mean discussions. I respect everyone's choices and I bow out of political conversations or gripe--sessions. Am I reading your response correctly that if I voted for either of the 2 parties you mentioned that you think I am psycho, ignorant, stupid, uninformed, less than human, and morally corrupt?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
People of any political persuasion who think they "know it all" because their version of the facts is completely pure and error free because their preferred information sources told them so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships