Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 PM

301 posts, read 295,876 times

Advertisements

I retired fairly high up in the military (which when you retire is basically management). But much lower than many of my friends and colleges that were no where near as smart or talented and by most peoples opinion, I always had higher quality work.

My advice:
1. Ask you college what she meant if it is truely bothering you. It may have initially meant something sarcastic meaning she knows how much effort you put in and your manager gave you crap.
2. Expect that kind of treatment from managers... at every level. In fact I caught more crap in higher management than I did early in my career because higher managers have more to lose and are often more cutthroat.
3. Sometimes **** happens. Get over it. The sooner you learn not to take a nasty boss personally the better. If they are violating HR protocall then definitely bring it up. If not, bring it up if 1. You think it will aid your career or you have a personal (friendship) with the person and feel that not addressing it will hurt your friendship more than it could by addressing it.
4. If you are in doubt about this affecting your promotion, ask your supervisor or manager. I saw supervisors who had to comment on every little thing like that. It may affect your promotion which sucks, but there is always next time. In the military there was no sugarcoating it. If we failed to meet a standard expected, it was much more than a harsh e-mail. It absolutely affected promotion. Sometimes greater responsibility was given to people we expected to be promoted early. If something was wrong, they were let known, and promoted the next time around.

Bottom line, communicate more with your boss if you truly want to know. But bottom line you were given a project at a level of responsibility higher than normal, and you had a typo. Sucks. Could happen to anyone (and has happened to me) But your supervisor didn't seem to be overly critical, no personal attacks, no sexism or racism. So if they don't promote you because of it there isn't anything you can do (other than get your team and others to speak up for you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:38 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Haha, you must be joking right?!

Did you read what I wrote in my post? Do you know what a "typo" is? Do you know what proof-reading is for?

It was not a typo due to a lack of understanding of the material, otherwise it would not be called a typo but an actual mistake.
This was not a mistake of substance. It was a typing mistake - like - casr instead of cars!

My colleague said I did it perfectly and even congratulated me (adding my manager in copy).
Do you really think he would have submitted the work had the proof-reading showed substantial calculation mistakes? Are you serious?

Do I need to ask for guidance to write a series of figures correctly now? It was not a calculation error or a procedural one.
No. He is not joking. You supplied a product to your biggest customer that was useless.

Spin it any way you like but they could not use the product that they needed.

You may have legitimate complaints about the type of job you were given, the lack of training, the lack of assistance and the proofreading failure but that does not change the outcome.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. He is not joking. You supplied a product to your biggest customer that was useless.

Spin it any way you like but they could not use the product that they needed.

You may have legitimate complaints about the type of job you were given, the lack of training, the lack of assistance and the proofreading failure but that does not change the outcome.
It was not a product, nor was it submitted to the customer.

As stated, two batches out of the three went through right.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
It was not a product, nor was it submitted to the customer.

As stated, two batches out of the three went through right.
OP, I'm not sure what more you want from the responders on this thread. You've received a lot of very kind and compassionate support, and you've received some very honest and apparently difficult to hear feedback from some too. All of it is valuable for you to consider, but that doesn't mean you need to agree with it.

There is no need to further defend yourself, in my mind. I suggest you take what's helpful and move on.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
If people are responding still, why wouldn't I be allowed to?

Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
If people are responding still, why wouldn't I be allowed to?
Well of course you can do whatever you like. I'm just asking you to consider why you're continuing to defend yourself, when most people have already provided you with lots of support.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Man the heck up, and do better next time.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
OP,

Just ignore the people who can't grasp the difference between a typo and an inability to do the work. They must be real peaches to work with.

The most bizarre thing, is that your manager talked about learning a "lesson". What is the lesson supposed to be? It's such an illogical statement.

Is the lesson to never make a typo again? That's impossible for 100% of humans.

Is the lesson to check your work? You did that.

There is no lesson, except an ongoing lesson in office politics and communication. I like the suggestion someone gave about asking your manager to set up better proofreading protocols.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
OP,

Just ignore the people who can't grasp the difference between a typo and an inability to do the work. They must be real peaches to work with.

The most bizarre thing, is that your manager talked about learning a "lesson". What is the lesson supposed to be? It's such an illogical statement.

Is the lesson to never make a typo again? That's impossible for 100% of humans.

Is the lesson to check your work? You did that.

There is no lesson, except an ongoing lesson in office politics and communication. I like the suggestion someone gave about asking your manager to set up better proofreading protocols.
I'm still curious about that. It would be great to get an explanation. The comment makes no sense. Was she supposed to reject the assignment? Or submit her work to a second proof-reader? Clarification clearly needed.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is a huge difference in the ability to understand and execute a task versus a typo. A single freaking typo!

ALL human being make typos because NO human beings are robots.

NO ONE subscribes to some irrational standard that a typo means a person isn't capable. You can't possibly believe that the person who usually does this project never makes typos. And you can't tell me that the manager never makes typos.

If a single typo means someone isn't up to the task, then everyone everywhere should be fired from their job right now. That includes you.
Sometimes a typo is the difference between life and death.

Ask an astronaut about a simple typo. My friend Leland Melvin could give you an earful about a simple typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships