Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,213,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

It makes you wonder why nobody has formed a much cheaper alternative.
In many of the groups I've been in, the organizer has kept the group on meetup for maybe 6 months or a year, and then moves the group to facebook so that they don't have to keep paying for meetup.

As far as joining a group and not attending events, I'm guilty of this too. I'm surprised that anyone would be bothered by it. I understand that if you RSVP for an event and don't attend, that's rude, but I don't think just joining the group is equivalent to an RSVP at all. I often will automatically click "join" if the group topic is something I'm interested in, even if I don't want to attend any of the meetups that are already posted for that group. That way I'll get notifications about the events when I open the app, in case one comes up in the future that I want to go to. I never really feel like going out on week days, so I tend to wait until a weekend event is posted. For whatever reason, many meetups seem to focus on week days rather than weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 PM

939 posts, read 790,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
...Why join if you don't intend to go????

They probably join with the best of intentions, just as people join a gym and never go, or maybe go just a couple of times, and that's only because they shelled out a hefty sum of non-refundable money.

I read somewhere that some buy cookbooks and only use them once, if ever!

It's easier for some to want to do new things than actually do them.

In addition to not wanting to do a specific event, some check the reservation list to see how many may or may not be there.

I think they may even be able to check how many attended the last several meetings, then ultimately fuzz-out.

Why not require that a CC deposit is placed on permanent hold...10-20 bucks.

It stays in limbo indefinitely unless you are a no-show, or don't cancel within a 24 hour time frame, if in fact the host has to reserve a function such as a restaurant in advance.

Also, the event should probably have a certain amount of attendees, depending on the function, or it gets cancelled, with no charge to the others.

Minimum of 6 is probably OK for a restaurant, because there others at other tables making noise and creating atmosphere, alleviating that potential dreadful silence.

10-12 if it's in a plain room or hall specifically designated for that particular meeting.

This helps ensure newbies won't be too uncomfortable in their first couple of events.

A first-timer shows up to an event in a plain old room with four or five strangers and you don't like any of them...awkward.

Even then, people seem to be less and less dependent on face to face interactions.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:58 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
They probably join with the best of intentions, just as people join a gym and never go, or maybe go just a couple of times, and that's only because they shelled out a hefty sum of non-refundable money.

In addition to not wanting to do a specific event, some check the reservation list to see how many may or may not be there.

I think they may even be able to check how many attended the last several meetings, then ultimately fuzz-out.

It stays in limbo indefinitely unless you are a no-show, or don't cancel within a 24 hour time frame, if in fact the host has to reserve a function such as a restaurant in advance.

Also, the event should probably have a certain amount of attendees, depending on the function, or it gets cancelled, with no charge to the others.

Minimum of 6 is probably OK for a restaurant, because there others at other tables making noise and creating atmosphere, alleviating that potential dreadful silence.

10-12 if it's in a plain room or hall specifically designated for that particular meeting.

This helps ensure newbies won't be too uncomfortable in their first couple of events.

A first-timer shows up to an event in a plain old room with four or five strangers and you don't like any of them...awkward.

Even then, people seem to be less and less dependent on face to face interactions.
A CC deposit for a meetup with a 24-hour cancellation? I don’t go to meetups that are in restaurants or that require people to hold a spot. They are for outdoor activities, typically, and often have a waitlist. I often cancel within 24 hours because the weather is not great or I don’t feel all that well, but I do take the time to at least go in and cancel on the meetup site. I’m also sure that the organizers would rather have someone who doesn’t feel well who could hold up the group cancel within 24 hours than show up and be a nuisance and not keep up.

I know a lot of meetups that simply kick you out if you don’t attend three meetups without canceling on the meetup site, which I think is the most reasonable option. There are some I’ve joined where you have to pay in advance as well if it is for some sort of pay activity.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,537,050 times
I have joined a couple, attended one or two get togethers and knew these were not people that I wanted to hang out with. Don’t always remember to officially quit the group. That may well be the case for a lot of folks.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post

This won't work. Maybe I'm tired after work that day. Maybe i left work because of illness. Maybe I was called in for work and i wasnt expecting it. Maybe I was asked to stay later at work. Maybe there was traffic due to some major accident. There are a lot of reasons why. FYI, not all meet ups require seats. Not all are restaurants that have a struck we need to reserve 10+ seats ASAP.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

939 posts, read 790,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A CC deposit for a meetup with a 24-hour cancellation? I don’t go to meetups that are in restaurants or that require people to hold a spot. They are for outdoor activities, typically, and often have a waitlist. I often cancel within 24 hours because the weather is not great or I don’t feel all that well, but I do take the time to at least go in and cancel on the meetup site. I’m also sure that the organizers would rather have someone who doesn’t feel well who could hold up the group cancel within 24 hours than show up and be a nuisance and not keep up.

I know a lot of meetups that simply kick you out if you don’t attend three meetups without canceling on the meetup site, which I think is the most reasonable option. There are some I’ve joined where you have to pay in advance as well if it is for some sort of pay activity.

Quote:
A CC deposit for a meetup with a 24-hour cancellation?
Not an actual deposit that gets immediately billed, but more like a hotel that requires a deposit in addition to the actual room charges.

When you checkout, they don't have to perform an actual refund proper after the fact, as it never showed on your billing statements in the first place.

I've never attended a function through Meetups, so I'm just basing it on what I've read in this thread and heard by others in person.

You RA, do the right thing in relation to not showing up, however, I hear others are just plain no-shows, which can slowly bring the group to a halt.

Quote:
I’m also sure that the organizers would rather have someone who doesn’t feel well who could hold up the group cancel within 24 hours than show up and be a nuisance and not keep up
What I implied in my previous post, without the under the weather reason.

Quote:
I know a lot of meetups that simply kick you out if you don’t attend three meetups without canceling on the meetup site, which I think is the most reasonable option...
Reasonable and gracious of them picking the three strike penalty, if it's a smaller member group that I was using in my example.

The larger member groups that you are familiar with probably wouldn't notice several or so no-shows every meeting.

Several decades ago a cooking magazine had an article advocating singles groups that meet at various upscale restaurants.

It did warn however that many dining around town singles groups have professional or paid people posing as life of the party singles to keep the interest up, as there's a good chance the leader is probably getting some kind of compensation from the restaurant.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say some of those faux members aren't too hard on the eyes, either.

Last edited by noregon98; 12-10-2017 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,861,488 times
When you join a "group" only to realize they are way weirder than you are it's time to jump ship lol. It's good to mingle with people when you have no one, but it's not good to mingle with total weridos with ulterior motives.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,604,526 times
I started one for a group that it was said many people would like to join if it was created. The first few meet-ups were very tiny. I had faith more would start coming when they got the alerts it had been created. I asked for a DONATION of $1 or $2 after it got going well for the fees. I made it super clear it was NOT required to come, but that it would simply be very helpful to keep it going. I truly welcomed anyone whether they donated to the fees or not. It's a little difficult at first playing hostess to complete strangers, but it's very important to pay attention to all new- comers. Soon I had co-organizers to help with all that. no-shows were of no consequence for our type of group.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 AM

22,035 posts, read 13,063,881 times
I've joined a few to pursue my ACTUAL HOBBIES, many of which must be done in numbers or are safer and/or more enjoyable in numbers. Some Meetup groups seem to be just for sitting around talking (or going out to eat or drink and sit around talking), which is not my cup of tea -- no pun intended.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:00 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,314,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
When you join a "group" only to realize they are way weirder than you are it's time to jump ship lol. It's good to mingle with people when you have no one, but it's not good to mingle with total weridos with ulterior motives.

Agreed..i've been to a couple where the interaction was more or less forced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships