Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,730,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
It costs money to form a meetup. About $10 a month.
Hopefully the new company will go back to having a usable app again. The new one has been horrible for a year or two. Now it is awful to navigate and so easy to miss events because they are filled by he one you see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,070,750 times
Quote:
agreed there is a cost to form a group, no cost to be a user
(except for the groups that charge dues, to distribute that cost to viable participating members)

let's see if the new company does something crazy and stupid, like:
a) charge $25/mo form a group
b) charge members $1/event
c) charge no-shows $5 for flaking
d) charge $100/mo to groups with more than a 1000 members
e) force us to watch ads ala Youtube before we can see the content we want
f) manditory Facebook, valid credit card#, and retina eyeball scans to become a user/login

Old 12-04-2017, 07:48 AM

1,097 posts, read 590,362 times
Quote:
I think it's at least $12, maybe more by now.

As a friend of mine points out, the cost is a bit absurd given that all they do for you is provide space on a web site. What is all that money used for?

It makes you wonder why nobody has formed a much cheaper alternative.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,903,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I think it's at least $12, maybe more by now.

As a friend of mine points out, the cost is a bit absurd given that all they do for you is provide space on a web site. What is all that money used for?

It makes you wonder why nobody has formed a much cheaper alternative.
Main reason? Supply and demand. In this socially disconnected society of ours, social connections are hard to come by. So the market allows Meetup to charge the prices it does. Alternatives do exist, such as Meetin, but they're barely a blip on the radar. Even Meetup itself didn't go mainstream until 2 years ago. Before then, if you walked into a restaurant looking for "Meetup", the workers would give you blank stares.

With the acquisition by WeWork, I sort of expect Meetup group organizers to get a price break or even a free group, provided that they rent a WeWork office space for it. (Which isn't a bad place to host board game nights, as long as you can BYOB.) News reports so far said that Meetup will remain what it always was, much like Waze is still Waze, even under Google ownership, albeit with new Google features.

I'm really hoping Meetup doesn't go away. With all my long-time friends getting into LTR's and dropping off the social radar, Meetup was my lifeline for the past 2 years and counting.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,075,752 times
Meetup has been 'mainstream' for more than 2 years.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Meetup has been 'mainstream' for more than 2 years.
Hmm, perhaps you live in a more urban area than me, or in a region where Meetup became popular earlier. In my world, it's only by 2015 where it became a recognized brand. When I first got into Meetup in 2011, and tried to find my groups at restaurants, the servers had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it. Perhaps Meetup's false reputation as a dating service slowed its awareness.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,239,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

or it will change to something that costs money, its popularity will wither and die...
if you start a group on meetup there is a fee you have to pay. you can pay it monthly or for a few months at a time i think. i took over a group for a short time and i had to pay to keep the group going. nobody was showing up for it so i quit being an organizer. someone else took over for a short time. again, no one was showing up so she quit too and the group died.

it's free to join a group but it is not free to keep a group going for the organizer. that's why some groups charge a fee to members, to help keep the group going.

edited: oops, i see others have already mentioned the fee to start a group and keep it going. sorry!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:33 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times
I think they're fabulous for bringing together people who want to pursue an actual hobby or interest together, particularly if it's something that actually requires other people. I would feel a little funny joining something called "Friends Over Forty" or "Socializers Over Fifty" or "Find a Date" or whatever. There's just something sad about being so obvious? Of course, if you make friends or find a lover organically in the course of jointly pursuing interests, that's great (it's also the best way TO make friends or find a lover), but I would personally hesitate to join a group with that express purpose as its whole reason for being.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think they're fabulous for bringing together people who want to pursue an actual hobby or interest together, particularly if it's something that actually requires other people. I would feel a little funny joining something called "Friends Over Forty" or "Socializers Over Fifty" or "Find a Date" or whatever. There's just something sad about being so obvious? Of course, if you make friends or find a lover organically in the course of jointly pursuing interests, that's great (it's also the best way TO make friends or find a lover), but I would personally hesitate to join a group with that express purpose as its whole reason for being.
Why would you hesitate, and why would it be "sad"? That's been the spirit of Meetup since its founding.

Most of my groups are general socialization groups for people in their 20's and 30's, not unlike the "Friends Over Forty" example you gave. (Interest-specific groups, such as board games or hiking, have an older crowd.) And they've been my social lifeline for the past 2 years, after my long-time friends got into relationships. We go to bars, we sing karaoke, we play Cards Against Humanity, etc. I've even made some "organic" friendships through Meetup.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know why so many would sign up, but not show, though I've heard it's not unusual for a small group of serious participants to have trouble getting a group off the ground for this reason. I think some people sign up, thinking it would be a great activity, but when the time comes to actually attend, other things may get in the way.
This is true. I signed up for one, was going to go to one then backed out. I haven't really used the app of late due to possibly dating someone but that seemingly fell through. Maybe I'll start up after the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships