Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So, all cleaning can be done days in advance. There should be no cleaning at all the day of the party. How the hell did I get into this conversation? Oh yeah, it's Sunday morning and I am drinking coffee and need to tell people how to live. So let me continue. No cleaning the day of the party. And I am a firm believer in catering any party over 15 people. And I usually hire a family member to be the bartender. So food and drinks are a complete breeze.

Most of my parties are outdoor parties. So that setup can all be finished well before the "day of". And believe me, my setups are more involved than yours. My last big party had 30 feet of truss, stage lighting, and 15 speakers. Oh yeah, the neighbors loved me that day.

But, the point is, I cannot enjoy a party if I am working on it the day of. Oh yeah, there's always a few thing to do on the "day of". But 95% can be done before that.
Well, duh, if you hire a caterer for any parties over 15 people no wonder you do not have many last minute preparations, as the caterers are doing all of the work. Over the years most of my parties were 25 to 40 people (with a few larger than that) and we never hired a caterer or a bartender so, of course, our preparation was different. Also, all of our parties were inside our house or apartment so, of course, that was different preparation, too.

Frankly, I only knew one person who ever hired a caterer for parties, and his parties were massive, usually 50 to 100 people. IMHO, most people do not hire caterers if they are just having 15 or so friends over for a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well, duh, if you hire a caterer for any parties over 15 people no wonder you do not have many last minute preparations, as the caterers are doing all of the work. Over the years most of my parties were 25 to 40 people (with a few larger than that) and we never hired a caterer or a bartender so, of course, our preparation was different. Also, all of our parties were inside our house or apartment so, of course, that was different preparation, too.

Frankly, I only knew one person who ever hired a caterer for parties, and his parties were massive, usually 50 to 100 people. IMHO, most people do not hire caterers if they are just having 15 or so friends over for a party.

Try a caterer next time you have 30 people over. It's great. They cook, they serve, you pay them, they leave. And you get to enjoy your own party. They are so worth it. And I usually give a niece or nephew or cousin 100 bucks to take care of the bar. When guests come over to my house, I actually want to talk to them and pay attention to their presence. Not messing with ovens and serving spoons and grilling burgers. About the only thing I'm doing is taking music requests, but other than that the point of a party is to socialize, not play with food and booze.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Try a caterer next time you have 30 people over. It's great. They cook, they serve, you pay them, they leave. And you get to enjoy your own party. They are so worth it. And I usually give a niece or nephew or cousin 100 bucks to take care of the bar. When guests come over to my house, I actually want to talk to them and pay attention to their presence. Not messing with ovens and serving spoons and grilling burgers. About the only thing I'm doing is taking music requests, but other than that the point of a party is to socialize, not play with food and booze.
And now, it seems we've come full circle in this discussion. That's what we all want to do to, at our own parties. Have a chance to enjoy the guests and not be messing with ovens and serving spoons when they arrive.

And if they'd just arrive on time, and not 45 minutes early, well, mission accomplished.

When I have a party I want to have delicious food, fun friends and good drinks but I don't want to spend the kind of money you're talking about here - hiring caterers to bring and serve food, $100 for some person to fix drinks, etc.

So anyway, full circle. For those who are hosting parties in their homes, it's best that guests not arrive early before we can enjoy them.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And now, it seems we've come full circle in this discussion. That's what we all want to do to, at our own parties. Have a chance to enjoy the guests and not be messing with ovens and serving spoons when they arrive.

And if they'd just arrive on time, and not 45 minutes early, well, mission accomplished.

When I have a party I want to have delicious food, fun friends and good drinks but I don't want to spend the kind of money you're talking about here - hiring caterers to bring and serve food, $100 for some person to fix drinks, etc.

So anyway, full circle. For those who are hosting parties in their homes, it's best that guests not arrive early before we can enjoy them.

And if you simply schedule all preparations to be totally complete 2-3 hours before your start time, you won't be thrown by an early guest. In fact, you'll welcome early guests. A chance to socialize one on one before the crowds arrive.

And for the love of God, people, don't invite 30 people over when you can only comfortably seat 20 people. I promise you, guests are hating you and wondering why you would be so stupid.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
And if you simply schedule all preparations to be totally complete 2-3 hours before your start time, you won't be thrown by an early guest. In fact, you'll welcome early guests. A chance to socialize one on one before the crowds arrive.
We have a lot of brunches and I'm not getting up at 6am so i can lounge around at 9am for three hours.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:55 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Don't answer the door, or put a sign on the door that the party begins PROMPTLY at 4:00 or "Can't wait to see you at 4:00." People can wait in their cars until then, or if you have a front porch with seating, "Please have a seat and relax until 4:00", place lemonade and glasses there as a subtle hint.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
Marc definitely does not have chest hair.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Marc definitely does not have chest hair.
I like people who don't body shame in party threads.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
We have a lot of brunches and I'm not getting up at 6am so i can lounge around at 9am for three hours.
Then don't invite me. I am not standing around while you burn the food that I expected to eat at 12:30. Only on City-Data would you find intransigents defending to the death their right to be bad unprepared hosts. I love this place!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I am usually "one of the first" to leave a party too. I should say "not the first" but when I see a few people saying their "thank you's" and good bye's, then I am ready to leave as well. I try never to be the first one to leave. When you have a guest who stays long after you hint it's time for them to hit the road, then I think that is being rude to keep the host/hostess up, long after everyone has left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships