Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times

Advertisements

ALWAYS ask for separate checks (we usually mention separate checks when we place our orders so the wait staff can put the orders on two slips)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The couple asked if more was needed and offered their debit card. The other set of friends were classy and said no.
Not sure that classy is the reason else the OP would never have known about the ensuing shortage unless the friends complained about it when they realized it.

Separate checks would have solved this situation but there would have been no situation to solve if the other couple's two college age sons had paid their share. It's not reasonable for the other couple to expect their sons' share to be split among the group so they should have stepped up and offered to cover them. They may have offered their debit card but it may have been an offer they knew (or hoped) would be declined. I'm not buying that they could be $50 short and not know it. Maybe $5 or $10, not $50.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
My wife and I went to dinner to celebrate our new born daughter with some friends.

I hate to say this but i think the couple pulled a fast one by taking advantage of the chaos. No one was drunk and how hard is it to figure out a bill. Bizarre What do others think?
Don't invite a large group next time!

I would say the group was caught up with a cash shortage so out of embarrassment the party chalked it up to bad math.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Sounds like they pulled a fast one for sure. It's not hard to figure out that when you are giving the same amount (or less) as the other couples but you have four people, that you are scamming someone. I'd ask for separate bills next time.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Very strange.
When I invite people for dinner for my celebration I expect to pay for the whole event. Why do you think they should pay? They were invited, no? Would you expect them to reimburse your expenses if the dinner was at your home?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
One of my pet peeves and a reason I never drink in a bar is the practice of "buying rounds". I refuse to buy/accept a drink. When I go to a bar I want to have control over how many drinks I consume and how much money I spend. Some folks think I am a jerk because of that. Oh well ". . .you and the horse you rode in on".

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Very strange.
When I invite people for dinner for my celebration I expect to pay for the whole event. Why do you think they should pay? They were invited, no? Would you expect them to reimburse your expenses if the dinner was at your home?
OP already said this more a mutual gathering of friends than an invitation event. OP did not pick the time or place. This was not a dinner at home.

And no, I don't expect to pay for everyone just because I suggest to some of my friends that we get together for dinner and drinks.

Besides, that just takes the problems to a whole other level. Instead of being resentful over paying for the most $5 drinks you can be resentful for hosting the most $500 events as there will always be the ones who never "host" or host at a cheap happy hour.

In any event, it should be crystal clear when an invitation is at the expense of the inviter or a pay your own way thing. Doesn't sound like there was any confusion or misunderstanding on that in this case so it's really irrelevant to the question at hand.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
This is kind of confusing - because it was a celebration of a child's one year birthday - it does make it unclear whether it was a hosted event or whether it was every man for himself.

BUT. I've been going to restaurants for a long time, and it used to be difficult to get waiters to split the tab. It was extra work, and there was no benefit to the waiter.

These days, it's assumed the tab will be split. If it's a grouping of couples/add-ons, the waiter asks if it will all be on one check.

Because they've learned. The days where the patriarch of the family paid the whole thing and then tipped grandly are over. If you give the table a check, it's highly likely they'll barely cover the actual cost, and there will be no tip because people pretend they don't know that drinks (even tea or coffee) cost money, and there's tax on top and then a tip.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
BUT. I've been going to restaurants for a long time, and it used to be difficult to get waiters to split the tab. It was extra work, and there was no benefit to the waiter.
The benefit is the same as the benefit to laying out silverware for each diner rather than dumping a pile in the center of the table and letting everyone reach for it. It's called service. Better service yields better tips. As the rest of your post pointed out, they have figured that out.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,014 times
So you all gatherd to celebrate YOUR family milestone...perhaps they thought that you and your wife were hosting this dinner...thus covering the expenses. Since no one advised the waitstaff that it would be "separate checks", perhaps this tab should have been on you. Most couples-guests, make it clear on how a tab will be divided. Sounds like a huge misunderstanding.

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships