Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 PM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
funeral business is another racquet anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, it's a racquet..
It's racket, not racquet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,005,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, I could not disagree more. Always follow the wishes of the deceased person.

And I strongly disagree that wanting no funeral is selfish.
And I agree with this. There will be no funeral for myself or my spouse. We firmly believe in making the most of our days here on earth, for as long as they last. Anything after that is just superfluous IMO. Anybody who wishes to remember us in their own way is welcomed to do so, but it won't be via a funeral.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,788,006 times
My mom did not want a funeral.

My dad wanted to have a funeral for her.

My dad NEEDED the support of a gathering of his community after he unexpectedly lost his wife of almost 50 years.

Not having a funeral for my mom would have killed my dad.

My mom had a funeral.

No regrets.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,080,154 times
I find it extremely disrespectful to someone if they had specifically requested no funeral and then the relatives held one anyway. To me, they are the ones being selfish thinking only of what they want. Of course the deceased isn't going to know but that is not the point.

If someone feels a need to have a gathering then I think the idea of having a memorial service at another time is a nice idea.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,677,822 times
Sometimes family members have been hurtful to the deceased and they may feel it would be hypocritical to "pay respects," since there was little respect given in life.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,251,455 times
I don't care whether there is a funeral for me or not. I certainly don't want one, but if my family and friends want to hold a funeral, who cares? I certainly won't know anything about it. They can do whatever they want.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,913,145 times
When I say “funeral” I don’t necessarily mean having a casket and everything. My aunt will be cremated which is fine with me. But why request no service at all? I personally will request to be cremated, but I see no reason to ask for no service.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,913,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My mom did not want a funeral.

My dad wanted to have a funeral for her.

My dad NEEDED the support of a gathering of his community after he unexpectedly lost his wife of almost 50 years.

Not having a funeral for my mom would have killed my dad.

My mom had a funeral.

No regrets.
I feel the same way for my grandmother. She’s already lost 2 daughters.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM

19,595 posts, read 9,593,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I seek not to be sarcastic but if the funeral services are to be paid for totally by the deceased it should be their choice alone shouldn't it? Rich or poor, isn't it much easier to say that it is selfish on the part of the living to demand a funeral service? That is, of course, unless they have offered to pay for the services themselves.
I agree. There was a distant relative I heard about through another family member that they would be ok with having a funeral. Went to a lot of expenses and no one showed. I knew another that went to the expenses to include some kind of meal at a restaurant wherein this one family ordered up all the most expensive wines and dinner entrees. I only heard it was costly from one of the relatives. It seriously gets me to rethinking whether I'd want to go through with that. If I had money left over, I'd rather donate it to a good cause.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,677,822 times
So, OP, you asked people for reasons, they gave them to you, and you have discounted them all and "still don't understand?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships