Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 03:40 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
OP, quit while you're ahead. You are starting to sound like a different type of person: mean spirited and petty. Move on and keep your dignity.

I empathized with the OP earlier in this thread, but after catching up, have to agree with the above.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:38 AM

723 posts, read 571,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
OP, quit while you're ahead. You are starting to sound like a different type of person: mean spirited and petty. Move on and keep your dignity.
Good advice, but I am pretty sure that ship has already sailed.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Very sad. You sound like a mean person.
Why are they mean? Because their taste in mailboxes is different than yours?

I can only imagine what this hunk of metal looks like; tacky might be an understatement.

Where I live some snowbirds (and locals) have the most God awful, ugly mailboxes, but that's their business; not mine. They're not forcing their concrete manatees or pelicans or giant sea horse mailboxes on me and trust me, I'm thankful for that!

While you thought you were doing a nice thing, and maybe you were, the end result is that your mailbox is ugly, and the neighbor doesn't like it. Does she have to say thank you? No, she doesn't..it wasn't a gift to her...you benefit from it as much as she does.

People who give gifts or do nice things for others, out of the kindness of their hearts, do not expect anything in return; warranted or not.

You just want to be fawned over by your neighbors and are offended because they're not.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Ha Ha. I went outside to snap a pic of their decorations and was fooling around with my camera and they turned the lights off! Probably saw me with a camera pointed at their house!
Please get a life. Etiquette coach, outdoor decorator, neighborhood enforcer - unless city ordnance or HOA do not allow inflatable decorations it is not your decision what is tasteful and what is not. Decorate your house according to your taste. You expect a cozy neighborly environment but think it is funny to run around snapping pictures and post hateful comments on a public forum.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Anyway, I think it is very rude if someone asks you a question that you know the answer to, and because you don't want to be bothered, you withhold the answer - thus refuse the opportunity to help someone. I see this as a kind of "greediness" of spirit. It is not nice, in any case.
So where's the link to the artist's website that was requested upthread? We're all genuinely curious what these mailboxes look like, and you might drive some business his/her way!

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-19-2017, 07:20 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I would love to show them, but for anonymity's sake, cannot (they are too distinctive).

In the meantime, said neighbors put their Christmas decorations up - very gaudy - huge, inflatable Santa on roof - all kinds of garish things. I was thinking of taking a picture of that, just to prove I am not the one with the questionable taste!
So it would be OK with you to post a picture of your neighbors' Christmas decorations (which might identify their house if they're distinctive), but you can't post a picture of the mailboxes? Just HOW distinctive ARE they? I mean, give us a little hint, please? Do the mailboxes involve large animal figures (i.e. seahorses, cats, manatees, etc.), or floral displays (tree branches, large flowers, trunks, etc.)? Do they have suns and moons painted on them? Or are they patriotic with the stars and stripes on them? After these many pages extolling how very artistic they are, you can at least give us an inkling about their artistic design or direct us to the artist's website. It's only fair. And after all, if you know and don't tell - it's mean.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:39 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
What I would think if I was this lady.
I'm just a neighbor. I'm not your friend nor relative. I have my own life, family, work, business. I did not chose specially to leave near you, it's just what I can afford.
Now, you, a complete stranger, giving us something that worth hundreds of dollars. Why are you doing it? What is the reason? Maybe you want to f my husband? Maybe you want to f me? Maybe you want to get closer to our teenage daughter? What do you want? Do I need now to go and buy for you something that worth 500$ also? I planned to buy a laptop with this money, and now I need to spend it on a complete stranger.
You see, there are a lot of questions and complicated thoughts that could be avoided if you were minding your own business, messing with your own stuff and leave the common property alone.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
When I thought she was going to come over, I was looking forward to discussing our mutual hobby (which we had discussed at the mailbox, which is the only time I ever speak to her - or when she is working in her yard).
Why not be direct? Invite her over to talk about the mutual hobby. It isn't that hard.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why are they mean? Because their taste in mailboxes is different than yours?

I can only imagine what this hunk of metal looks like; tacky might be an understatement.

Where I live some snowbirds (and locals) have the most God awful, ugly mailboxes, but that's their business; not mine. They're not forcing their concrete manatees or pelicans or giant sea horse mailboxes on me and trust me, I'm thankful for that!

While you thought you were doing a nice thing, and maybe you were, the end result is that your mailbox is ugly, and the neighbor doesn't like it. Does she have to say thank you? No, she doesn't..it wasn't a gift to her...you benefit from it as much as she does.

People who give gifts or do nice things for others, out of the kindness of their hearts, do not expect anything in return; warranted or not.

You just want to be fawned over by your neighbors and are offended because they're not.
We have no idea how the boxes look so it's unfair to call them ugly.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Anyway, I think it is very rude if someone asks you a question that you know the answer to, and because you don't want to be bothered, you withhold the answer - thus refuse the opportunity to help someone. I see this as a kind of "greediness" of spirit. It is not nice, in any case.
That point upthread was about gossip. You think that someone who refuses to spread gossip isn't nice and they have a greedy spirit?

You must live in opposite land from where I live. Gossips are not looked upon favourably in my circles.

Quote:
In the meantime, said neighbors put their Christmas decorations up - very gaudy - huge, inflatable Santa on roof - all kinds of garish things. I was thinking of taking a picture of that, just to prove I am not the one with the questionable taste!
Now this? Not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships