Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 10:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Actually several of the houses had flood lights on.
On the side of the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 01:12 AM

579 posts, read 368,297 times
Buy some drapes or blinds and hand the gift to the neighbor.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM

388 posts, read 474,296 times
Lots of older people cannot stand glare. It blinds them and literally hurts their eyes. My aunt has this problem.

That said, let her put up some curtains. Sheesh.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 711 times
I had a neighbor who started making small comments/requests about a month after she moved in--issues similar to OP's. Initially I'd make the change just to keep the peace but quickly realized that she WAS the entitled type and like to tell people what they HAD to do, needed to fix, were doing wrong. Meanwhile her yard looks like a trash heap. My advice would be to nicely suggest she get blinds are not look at the light. If you give in to unwarranted requests you can create a monster.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I am a bit surprised by all the comments that suggest the OP is responsible for this neighbor's demand that OP stop using side lights on their home.

I think in a civil court the fact that the cranky neighbor has done nothing to mitigate the lights coming into her own home, such as drapes or shades would definitely be in the OP's favor.

It is our responsibility to mitigate circumstances. Any compromise between these neighbors should start with the complaining neighbor utilizing common sense, starting with normal window coverings.

OP, what's the update on this situation?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I am a bit surprised by all the comments that suggest the OP is responsible for this neighbor's demand that OP stop using side lights on their home.

I think in a civil court the fact that the cranky neighbor has done nothing to mitigate the lights coming into her own home, such as drapes or shades would definitely be in the OP's favor.
I can see why you would think that, but that's not the way most municipalities' nuisance laws are written.

If it ever got that far, this could fall under a private nuisance, which is the loss of the use or enjoyment of property without an actual physical invasion of that property. The nuisance also has to be "substantial and continuous." Not sure that applies here.

Quote:
It is our responsibility to mitigate circumstances.
Sure, it is the OP's ethical responsibility. It's not necessarily the neighbor's LEGAL responsibility.

Quote:
Any compromise between these neighbors should start with the complaining neighbor utilizing common sense, starting with normal window coverings.
As you can see from this thread, not all people believe window coverings are "normal."

But a compromise is definitely needed, and most judges would try to arrange a compromise between the two. "You, tone down the light. You, put up some shades."

Old 01-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:

It is our responsibility to mitigate circumstances. Any compromise between these neighbors should start with the complaining neighbor utilizing common sense, starting with normal window coverings.
Why should the neighbor have to go out and spend money because of a problem the OP is causing? I don't know how many windows the OP's light is effecting, but it would not be a cheap fix if the neighbor has to buy thick black out curtains for multiple windows. The better solution would be for the OP to redirect their light so its not shinning into their neighbor's house. Or better yet, turn off the light.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why should the neighbor have to go out and spend money because of a problem the OP is causing? I don't know how many windows the OP's light is effecting, but it would not be a cheap fix if the neighbor has to buy thick black out curtains for multiple windows. The better solution would be for the OP to redirect their light so its not shinning into their neighbor's house. Or better yet, turn off the light.
OMG enough with the hyperbole...it's ONE soft non-floodlight. IIRC, 40W. You and other are assuming something drastically different. Both the OP and their neighbor might be wound a little too tight, but this is a tempest in a teacup.

And what does a light do to affect a window? If you can merely see a light from a window...??

Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
OMG enough with the hyperbole...it's ONE soft non-floodlight. IIRC, 40W. You and other are assuming something drastically different. Both the OP and their neighbor might be wound a little too tight, but this is a tempest in a teacup.

And what does a light do to affect a window? If you can merely see a light from a window...??
What hyperbole? The neighbor’s complaint is that the OP’s light is shinning into her windows. Just because it’s not a floodlight, doesn’t mean it can’t be annoying to have light shinning directly into your house in the middle of night when everything else is dark.

Why is it such a problem for OP to redirect the light so it’s not shinning into the neighbors house, or to even turn off the light when it’s not being used?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Well, any light you could see from your window would technically be shining into your window. Being free of visible lighting is just not a realistic expectation in almost any kind of neighborhood where homes are relatively close.

The OP states he/she is already using the lowest watt, non-directional soft light.

Now I suppose it could be the case that the light and the neighbor's window are so uniquely positioned in relation to each other that such a small light could hurt her neighbor's eyes (as stated), but I guess we'll never know.

In any event I dare anyone to use a light meter and measure the intensity of such a small light at a reasonable distance...it falls off very quickly, inverse square law and all that.

But again...when the starting point is a soft, low watt light we've already greatly reduced the likelihood of this situation rising to the level of a nuisance. The hyperbole comes in with suggestions that this light is more intense, directional, bigger, or harsher than the OP has ever described...that it's an open and vile nuisance...that the neighbor is massively grieved...etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships