Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm picturing a light on the side of the house. Sides of houses are as few as 10 feet away from each other. Fronts and backs of houses are usually much further apart. Front porch lights and carriage lights on the front of suburban houses are common and come standard. The OP installed this light himself. There is a difference between a porch light across the street and a side yard light 10 feet away, maybe closer.
Maybe. Maybe not. A drawing or picture showing the general area and dimensions would be worth 1000 more words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Agreed, a picture from the OP would likely clear this up.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Interestingly enough, natural light, such as what comes from the moon is much less bothersome than artificial light. I am assuming that some of the posters here are used to having their sleep disturbed by artificial light and either deal with the sleep issues or just suffer through it. Lots of us who live somewhere where artificial light isn't an issue have no problem with sleep issues, even with a full moon.
I LOVE the Moon.... any time, anywhere. But I detest a bare, glaring lightbulb, even in a person's home. If I ended up being somewhere that had glaring bulbs, I would need to sit somewhere where it would not be in my line of vision, look away, close my eyes.. leave.. (if unable to ask them to shut it off and by the looks of it, some would be offended). So, shoot me for not enjoying glare. (Not surprising that this has been used as a tactic by investigators to get one to admit to a crime).

Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. A drawing or picture showing the general area and dimensions would be worth 1000 more words.
It looks like the OP has not been back since Monday evening.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:36 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I was just thinking the same thing.
Off topic but you can set the page length if you want. For me this is only seven pages long.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A small light will not deter a burglar, it will help him see what he is doing.

I do not believe in night time light pollution. Laws are starting to be made to deal with this.
What states have laws that would deal with the OP’s situation? A quick Google search didn’t come up with any.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What states have laws that would deal with the OP’s situation? A quick Google search didn’t come up with any.
Maybe you used different search terms, because I found lots of websites that talk about light pollution and light trespass laws. Here's just one of them:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environ...pollution.aspx

Scroll down the page a bit and you will find the laws and explanations for different states. And as I mentioned, there are a lot of other websites with similar information about state laws regarding this issue.

In addition, I agree with some others - I think it would be very interesting if the OP would post a picture of the light we are all hearing so much about. How about it, OP?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Maybe you used different search terms, because I found lots of websites that talk about light pollution and light trespass laws. Here's just one of them:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environ...pollution.aspx

Scroll down the page a bit and you will find the laws and explanations for different states. And as I mentioned, there are a lot of other websites with similar information about state laws regarding this issue.

In addition, I agree with some others - I think it would be very interesting if the OP would post a picture of the light we are all hearing so much about. How about it, OP?
Yeah, I looked at that one. Did you actually read the provisions for the states listed? NONE of them address the OP’s situation.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's a typical trait of so many people today ... a refusal to consider a situation from the other person's side. Refusing to walk a figurative mile in another person's shoes.

Basically you don't like being told what to do, right? Is that it? That sure is what it sounds like.

You've already cast this woman as the villain in your scenario, and as soon as another poster agreed with you, you then latched onto one word they used that you forgot to include in your description of your neighbor ... snowflake ... which you then began to use in almost every subsequent post about her.

There are a lot of very obvious and easy things that have been suggested here that you could do to make the situation better instead of worse. But you seem hell bent on assuming you're right and digging in your heels against this supposedly horrible woman next door.

The bigger picture here that you are refusing to see is that you responding to this very simple situation with resistance and sarcasm isn't going to make this world or your life better. It'll make it just a tiny bit worse.

So congratulations! Way to start off the new year!
This, pretty much. The new LED streetlights are directional and don’t spew light pollution on all the surrounding houses. Use one of those instead of being a d-bag neighbor. Be glad you’re not in redneck country where somebody fixes their light pollution problem with a shotgun.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I LOVE the Moon.... any time, anywhere. But I detest a bare, glaring lightbulb, even in a person's home. If I ended up being somewhere that had glaring bulbs, I would need to sit somewhere where it would not be in my line of vision, look away, close my eyes.. leave.. (if unable to ask them to shut it off and by the looks of it, some would be offended). So, shoot me for not enjoying glare. (Not surprising that this has been used as a tactic by investigators to get one to admit to a crime).
Ditto! We have neighbors with NO regard for ANYONE around them. Our homes, I'm going to estimate, are way closer then 10 feet. Literally, on top of one another. We can see directly inside each others windows, I can hear a sneeze, you name it. Their front entrance is on the side of their house, which faces almost every window in our house, including both bedrooms. They have a blaring light that they keep on at all hours all the time which shines directly into our bedroom through the blinds and into the side of the window. They sometimes leave it on ALL night or now it's on a timer, so when they come home at 2 am, we get woken up by either the slam of their front door (which is 100% done on purpose) and then the blaring light which is almost like a fog light, that goes into our bedroom. And this has been going on for 5 years! I recently made a post about the last incident with them, so talking to them nicely about the light will do squat. Op, depending on the "mentality" of your neighbor, yes I would say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships