Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times

Advertisements

Was he sentenced to 10 years & has done 9?

That’s actually unusual. Is the 2019 date stated as his next parole hearing or is it a “mandatory release date”?

Our state has a “red flag” option where you can be put on a list to be notified prior to release. I was on one for a stalker that was in prison for what he did to me & another woman & they did call me but I was only given 5 days notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:10 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

That’s actually unusual. Is the 2019 date stated as his next parole hearing or is it a “mandatory release date”?

Our state has a “red flag” option where you can be put on a list to be notified prior to release. I was on one for a stalker that was in prison for what he did to me & another woman & they did call me but I was only given 5 days notice.
This is what the doc website says
Earliest Release Date 06/05/2019
Earliest Release Type PAROLE ELIGIBILITY DATE
Parole Hearing Date 02/2019
Parole Hearing Type INITIAL RELEASE APPEARANCE
Parole Eligibility Date 06/05/2019
Conditional Release Date 06/05/2019
Maximum Expiration Date. 07/27/2020

But I remember last year he was saying he was getting out this April but I didn't pay attention bc he's a pathological liar. For example, he wrote my dad saying that the county offered him a settlement of a million dollars. I looked up the case and it was dismissed with prejudice. He also said he won his appeal, another lie. I mean, he's been "getting out soon" since he got there.
The only reason I think it might be real this time is bc his letters are more frequent and he's been bugging his relatives to find housing.
I'm going to mention this suspicion to the neighbors bc he put a gun on his daughter when she was 10. I'm sure he doesn't want him getting out earlier.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:58 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
OP, you are missing the bigger picture. It was hinted at but you blew it off.

If this guy is as dangerous as you describe, you need to completely cut off all ties with this family -- Dad, aunts, everyone. As long as you are in contact with any of them, this stepson will have the ability to find you. This problem is bigger than a release date.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think you should be making your move sooner. Why take the risk. I would be worried too given what you've described.

Besides, it will give you a chance to be completely out of there when the drama starts even if it is later.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

I don't believe the OP qualifies for such notice. OP has never even met the prisoner.

Op, several folks have suggested the websites that are available to the public. That is about all the notice you'll be able to see. I think trying to personally get any other information could put you at risk, because your name will have to be listed.

I'd take what you know, and take the earliest opportunity to bail now. Why put yourself in the middle of this dysfunction any longer than you have.

Good luck to you. And update as you move on.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Read the op, I've only known them since 2010, never met the stepson. He's been in prison this entire time.
OMG, I am talking about your crazy messed up dad. Why are you still in contact with him?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why my dad is so defensive when I ask and minimizes the problems he could cause. My dad is one of his biggest victims so it's not like he's dumb enough to think he's a good guy.

Am I wrong to try to get the information to try to protect myself?
Your dad is an enabler. That is why he's behaving the way he is. There's no rhyme nor reason to being an enabler. And generally speaking, you can't wake or knock sense into an enabler. They have to do draw boundaries and learn to say no all on their own. Some enablers never get to that point, unfortunately. Honestly, it would help to stop looking at enablers as "victims"... They are purposely making these bad choices.

Just keep to your plan of moving to... Buffalo? Don't give your dad to much information about where/what you're going to do and keep things neutral.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Apparently, he's not even the OP's dad. Why is OP so deeply enmeshed in this family (even living with them as a dependant?) that he is not even related to? Everything about this story is bizarro.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
My dad has a stepson who he raised. (I wasn't in my dad's life until 2010 and just last year, I figured out that he wasn't even my dad, but that's another story)

I never met this stepson bc he's been in prison since 2009 on armed robbery. He's been a crackhead thief in and out of prison since he was young. He introduced his own teen son to crack and that kid is doing 20 years. The stepson is supposed to be released according to the doc website next summer. However, bc he sends his letters here, I'm noticing that he's been sending letters a lot more frequently. I don't read them but his aunt (mother's sister) has been bitching that he's been bothering her to get him a place to live once he's released. I'm starting to think that he's maybe getting out sooner.

I tried asking my dad and he tells me not to worry about it. Of course, I'm going to worry about it. He's broken into the place where I live at least a dozen times. He's robbed people at knife and gunpoint. The letters he's written that I have read don't show any remorse. They are all full of veiled threats against witnesses and talks of million dollar lawsuits against law enforcement. The guy is 50, there's not many options for a 50 year old criminal who hasn't changed.

The reason why I want to know is bc I work for the state and I'm planning on transferring upstate anyway but if I could wait 6 months, I'd have more saved. But if he's getting out, I want to be gone bc I don't need that crap.

I just don't understand why my dad is so defensive when I ask and minimizes the problems he could cause. My dad is one of his biggest victims so it's not like he's dumb enough to think he's a good guy.

Am I wrong to try to get the information to try to protect myself?
Assume the worst, and move. The most important thing is to be safe. I am not sure I would divulge my address to the family, either. You actually might want to rent a PO Box. I would not want to be around this guy, or even to take a chance on having to be around this guy. Your family is not reassuring, either. They aren't thinking of your welfare, so you have to make sure to do so. Be safe.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Apparently, he's not even the OP's dad. Why is OP so deeply enmeshed in this family (even living with them as a dependant?) that he is not even related to? Everything about this story is bizarro.
I'm not living with him. He sometimes stays where I live bc he doesn't get along with his wife. I thought he was my dad my whole life. I only found out recently.
Quit judging me. I'm trying the best I can. Between my mom and brother who stole my house after my grandma died, finding out my dad isn't my dad and now worrying about a criminal being let loose, I'm trying to manage. This is all within 14 months.
It's really easy to say "just leave" but it's hard to be totally alone in a new area. I know I can do it, it's scary though. Be a human, ffs
FYI, I'm no one's dependent. I work, have healthy savings, iras and hopefully, a pension. Yeah, I've never been treated right by the people I should have counted on and I obviously have damage but I don't need your judgement.
I'm a good person and I can hold my head high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships