Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times

Advertisements

My dad has a stepson who he raised. (I wasn't in my dad's life until 2010 and just last year, I figured out that he wasn't even my dad, but that's another story)

I never met this stepson bc he's been in prison since 2009 on armed robbery. He's been a crackhead thief in and out of prison since he was young. He introduced his own teen son to crack and that kid is doing 20 years. The stepson is supposed to be released according to the doc website next summer. However, bc he sends his letters here, I'm noticing that he's been sending letters a lot more frequently. I don't read them but his aunt (mother's sister) has been bitching that he's been bothering her to get him a place to live once he's released. I'm starting to think that he's maybe getting out sooner.

I tried asking my dad and he tells me not to worry about it. Of course, I'm going to worry about it. He's broken into the place where I live at least a dozen times. He's robbed people at knife and gunpoint. The letters he's written that I have read don't show any remorse. They are all full of veiled threats against witnesses and talks of million dollar lawsuits against law enforcement. The guy is 50, there's not many options for a 50 year old criminal who hasn't changed.

The reason why I want to know is bc I work for the state and I'm planning on transferring upstate anyway but if I could wait 6 months, I'd have more saved. But if he's getting out, I want to be gone bc I don't need that crap.

I just don't understand why my dad is so defensive when I ask and minimizes the problems he could cause. My dad is one of his biggest victims so it's not like he's dumb enough to think he's a good guy.

Am I wrong to try to get the information to try to protect myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
How old is your father? I woybe worried about the step son trying to take advantage of your father. He may weasel his way in. He only going to stay a few night to get back on his feet, but never leaves. Begs for help to get drivers license, a few bucks here and there. Then suddenly will borrow dad atm to make a few small purchases etc. Hopefully the stepbrother goes to a halfway house on probation first. Maybe if he can't find a stable place to live they won't release him, or at least only release to a halfway house, which are restrictive, so he probably doesn't want that. If your father is elderly he may be easier to manipulate, that is pretty common.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
How old is your father? I woybe worried about the step son trying to take advantage of your father. He may weasel his way in. He only going to stay a few night to get back on his feet, but never leaves. Begs for help to get drivers license, a few bucks here and there. Then suddenly will borrow dad atm to make a few small purchases etc. Hopefully the stepbrother goes to a halfway house on probation first. Maybe if he can't find a stable place to live they won't release him, or at least only release to a halfway house, which are restrictive, so he probably doesn't want that. If your father is elderly he may be easier to manipulate, that is pretty common.
I already mentioned this to him. He's 66. I said what's going to happen when he can't get a job, obviously hasn't learned his lesson and has no one to bother but you? I said he might wind up killing you.
He ends up getting mad at me. Today, I asked if something is up with the stepson bc this is the third letter this week. He got really mad, told me I was stupid for thinking he's going to do anything to me. He then told me that he's not moving upstate when I go, he's staying here and I'm on my own. He was getting in my face and pointing. The only thing I said is that I have a right to know and protect myself. He said it's not my business.

Even if he goes to a halfway house, it's not that far away. My dad is the only person who will help, his wife is really sick and goes to dialysis. I figured she'd be dead by the time he got out.

I guess it's probably for the best if I move away. I waste a lot of energy on his drama.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
He is setting himself up to be taken advantage of. Is the stepson the son of his current wife? If so maybe he made some kind of promise to look after him for her. Maybe some financial things going on if any property she has.

Just keep adult protective services phone number close by in case there is a need for intervention. There are laws protecting elderly against people who could take advantage of them. At this point your dad is going to do what he wants to do. Don't get in a fight about it so you can keep channels open and he will speak to you so you can possibly keep up with whats going on if stepbrother starts being around.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
He is setting himself up to be taken advantage of. Is the stepson the son of his current wife? If so maybe he made some kind of promise to look after him for her. Maybe some financial things going on if any property she has.

Just keep adult protective services phone number close by in case there is a need for intervention. There are laws protecting elderly against people who could take advantage of them. At this point your dad is going to do what he wants to do. Don't get in a fight about it so you can keep channels open and he will speak to you so you can possibly keep up with whats going on if stepbrother starts being around.
The only thing I want to know is when he's getting out. I want to be gone before it happens. The doc says June 2019 is the earliest. Do you think the prison would tell me if he's getting out earlier than that?

As far as my dad and his wife, cest la vie. I'm not going to worry about them. He's not worried about protecting me from a violent criminal. If he winds up dead, his fault. I gave him a chance to get out of here.

He got aggressive with me today, called me names and said my family doesn't love me. I mean, it's true that my family is dysfunctional but my grandma really loved me but she died 14 months ago.

I just don't want to be flaky with my job bc it's a good gvt job and I only have so many windows per year to transfer. I was going to get on the one in August but I think I better try to hustle on the March one just to be safe.

He's been married to this lady for 43 years. He raised the kid into a loser.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

...... I'm planning on transferring upstate anyway but if I could wait 6 months, I'd have more saved.

...... I was going to get on the one in August but I think I better try to hustle on the March one just to be safe.

...... The only thing I want to know is when he's getting out. I want to be gone before it happens. The doc says June 2019 is the earliest. Do you think the prison would tell me if he's getting out earlier than that?

The information isn't any of your business and legally the prison can't tell you anything even if they know his release date (which they probably don't). You aren't a real relative so you don't even have a family right to know anything about the business of an inmate.

If you are so afraid of this guy and you're having difficulties and drama with your other extended family members because of it then maybe you should make plans now to just transfer to another work location as soon as possible. A little bit of extra money saved up over 6 months while waiting in limbo not knowing for sure what's happening with the inmate is NOT worth your fear or all the hassle, anger, anxiety, drama and resentment that has obviously already started happening between you and your family now. Just get out and get on with your own business and let them deal with their situations the way they want to. The sooner you've moved the better and safer you'll feel.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I'd say get out of there asap and leave all the drama behind and no forwarding address.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The information isn't any of your business and legally the prison can't tell you anything even if they know his release date (which they probably don't). You aren't a real relative so you don't even have a family right to know anything about the business of an inmate.

If you are so afraid of this guy and you're having difficulties and drama with your other extended family members because of it then maybe you should make plans now to just transfer to another work location as soon as possible. A little bit of extra money saved up over 6 months while waiting in limbo not knowing for sure what's happening with the inmate is NOT worth your fear or all the hassle, anger, anxiety, drama and resentment that has obviously already started happening between you and your family now. Just get out and get on with your own business and let them deal with their situations the way they want to. The sooner you've moved the better and safer you'll feel.

? I see you are in Canada, but in the US, basic information like this is typically available on department of corrections/bureau of prisons websites as a public record. You just go on, enter the inmate’s information in, and the site will usually tell you the expected release date. Of course, that date might change. There is often a separate section for released offenders under supervision as well.

Obviously, any confidential information having to do with a doctor is not going to be on the website or publicly available, but typically evaluations are performed semiannually so at least the OP would know that much.

That said, I agree with everyone else that if a move was already in the works, go for the March opportunity just to be safe as this guy sounds like one bad dude. Things can change any minute with funding/prison capacity and who would want to be in a situation where suddenly he’s released early?

Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 AM

350 posts, read 333,733 times
Exactly what Spuggy said. Take care of yourself...wow.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:32 AM

666 posts, read 643,739 times
OP search for the VINELink site. You should be able to locate him in the system with the info on the letters, and register for updates there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships