Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,345 times

Advertisements

What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
No. Never. I'm not that weird.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Nope. I don't take pleasure in my friends' hardships. I also recognize that when I offer advice (which isn't often, to be honest), they are adults who are free to make their own decisions, and we're all wrong sometimes, including me. And I wouldn't want my friends to rub my nose in it when I'm wrong. Why would I do that to them?

But more often than not, I offer suggestions for them to consider. I don't give advice. It's a fine line between the two, but there's a difference between "you could" and "you should."

Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No. Never. I'm not that weird.
Or bitter.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM

717 posts, read 558,303 times
That's mean.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
I would never feel good about someone elses failure. You must enjoy strutting around with a real attitude. I don't think that is good or even normal.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
You should feel bad for them that they are too stubborn or ignorant to listen to someone who knows better than they do. Delighting in their failure only makes you a sadist.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nope. I don't take pleasure in my friends' hardships. I also recognize that when I offer advice (which isn't often, to be honest), they are adults who are free to make their own decisions, and we're all wrong sometimes, including me. And I wouldn't want my friends to rub my nose in it when I'm wrong. Why would I do that to them?

But more often than not, I offer suggestions for them to consider. I don't give advice. It's a fine line between the two, but there's a difference between "you could" and "you should."
Right on post!!!
Couldn't agree more.

OP...I find it sad that you find pleasure when your friends make the wrong choice....not sad for your friends though...saaaad for you!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Wow, you sound like a great friend! Asking for advice is simply asking for opinions, then the person takes those opinions and weighs them against their own to come to their own decision. Why is your ego so wrapped up in people thinking you know best?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Wow, I'm glad we aren't friends. The idea that you "really like it" when your friends fail is just cruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships