Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

I feel bad when people fail especially if I like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I feel bad when people fail especially if I like them.
I'm thinking the OP doesn't like anyone. If he is truly this way in real life, I doubt many like him either.

No empathy in this person, at all.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
No. I don’t have a elated gleeful euphoric feeling when someone fails. Regardless if I gave them advice or not. You seem satisfied and happy to tell people “I told you do”. Why would you feel elated when someone fails?

I see why. You’re the type who feels validated when you’re right. So you’re probably the guy who always has to be right and you are most likely depressed when their decision works out for them and your advice wasn’t taken in account.

You should feel sad when people fail.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:15 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
The pleasure you derive from such is an indication of a FLAW in YOUR character.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Alan Sherman, the 1960’s precursor to Weird Al Jankowitz, had a song called “Good Advice.â€

Some of the lyrics were:
Good advice costs nothing and it’s worth the price
I do not feel happy to see someone fail. If they want my opinion or my experience regarding a similar situation I’ll give it to them but they can do with it what they like. Giving advice is not giving a command to the recipient to act upon whatever information you’ve shared with them.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Why anyone would ask YOU for advice is a mystery.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
People with any amount of emotional intelligence give advice (when asked) with
an understanding that the person asking will weigh that advice with other
input and their own thoughts and come up with what they decide is best.

To assume you are always right and everyone should do exactly what you suggest
is controlling and narcissist.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
You have to hand it to him for being honest. Truly. Not many people will say something so ugly about themselves. But you sure hear a LOT of people say, "well, I hate to say it, but I told you so". And they sit there pretending they actually hate to say it, which they don't. Or they'd keep their big mouths shut. He actually admits it - he enjoys it when he's given people advice, and they didn't follow it, and now they're suffering. So he's a half step ahead in character from those numbskulls who deny they love to say I told you so.

As Mordin noted, schadenfreude is a real thing. Taking pleasure in the misfortune of others.

I'm the opposite. If someone asks me for advice (even something as small as a good book to read or a good recipe or a house painter) I kind of fret thinking they'll take my advice and it won't work out for them. Probably most of us are like that.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm the opposite. If someone asks me for advice (even something as small as a good book to read or a good recipe or a house painter) I kind of fret thinking they'll take my advice and it won't work out for them. Probably most of us are like that.
Same here..and I usually say "I am just throwing out this idea, it may or may not not fit your situation"

Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,192 times
Surely OP is a troll, right? His post can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships