Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times

Advertisements

lol no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
No- there is something vaguely disturbing about this. I’ve given advice (sometimes in more crisis situations) and people have not followed it to their detriment and it’s been sad and frustrating. I just feel bad for them. On the other hand, I know other people who haven’t followed my advice and it worked out great for them, so who knows if my advice was that great or would have worked out?

Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
It doesn't make me happy, but it does happen. I've had two clients who came to me for professional advice - and then didn't take it - who actually ended up in jail as a result. I certainly wasn't happy, but I didn't hesitate to say I told you so. Many times.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I'm wondering how the OP feels when someone ignores his fantastic, sage, advice and everything turns out great for the other person?

Or maybe he's so wise that anyone who doesn't listen to him is doomed to failure.

Or....someone heeds his fantastic, sage advice and everything turns out WRONG. lol

Old 02-09-2018, 03:29 PM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
rather egomaniacal of you

Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
dude....you got issues.

And we have a winner!!

Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

So what hastene happened?

Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with you in person.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
The O.P. has not returned to this thread.
After being roundly slapped down, he is undoubtedly sulking in his basement.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:

No. When people fail it is because there was no path visible to the goal. Usually when people give advice, they are actually giving goals. If you want people to listen, you should hold their hand every step of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships