Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have never heard of any Mexicans who prefer to be called Spanish rather than Mexican.

On the other hand, Latin Americans from the Caribbean who have immigrated to the US do use the word Spanish in much the same context one uses the word Hispanic, as a collective term or descriptor to refer to people with a Spanish speaking background.

However there is a distinction between Spanish and Spaniard. The Puerto Ricans and Dominicans of places like New York or Florida are very aware of their Caribbean heritage and culture and are not trying to co-opt a European identity, merely European cultural roots.

The descendants of Spanish colonials in New Mexico call themselves Hispanos (not to be confused with Hispanic) which they translate in English to Spanish.

They definitely do not like to be called Mexican, mainly because they were descended from Spaniards, received their landgrants from the Spanish Crown, and were under a distant, remote Mexican rule for a mere blip of 31 years before becoming an American territory in 1846. Thus, they do not possess many of the unique Mexican ethno-national characteristics of their southern neighbors.
Good post! But I actually think that when people refer to Latinos as being "Spanish", they're doing it because they speak Spanish and are not alluding to having ancestry from Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Yes, this is what it’s about. They are trying to make clear that they are not indigenous, though they likely have some indigenous blood.

This is also a big thing in Central America where there is a racial pecking order that Americans are not comfortable acknowledging— the whiter you are, the higher up the social spectrum.
That's usually not the case, in the context of the US. But from what I gather, OP is saying that one of her white friends claims her Mexican in laws prefer to be called Spanish, which is very anecdotal and might not even be true. Mexicans don't usually refer to themselves as Spanish even on the East Coast. The Latinos who do refer to themselves as Spanish, which is usually East Coast Caribbean Hispanics, are not alluding to being of Spanish descent, but are calling themselves Spanish because they come from a Spanish speaking culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I have several coworkers and friends who refer to all Mexicans as Spanish. It drives me in sane.
It drives me insane too and I live in New York where that's way more prevalent.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Mexicans - ethnic groups:
Mestizo Mexicans, European Mexicans, Indigenous Mexicans, Arab Mexicans, Afro-Mexicans,
Asian Mexicans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexicans

Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Good post! But I actually think that when people refer to Latinos as being "Spanish", they're doing it because they speak Spanish and are not alluding to having ancestry from Spain.

That's usually not the case, in the context of the US. But from what I gather, OP is saying that one of her white friends claims her Mexican in laws prefer to be called Spanish, which is very anecdotal and might not even be true. Mexicans don't usually refer to themselves as Spanish even on the East Coast. The Latinos who do refer to themselves as Spanish, which is usually East Coast Caribbean Hispanics, are not alluding to being of Spanish descent, but are calling themselves Spanish because they come from a Spanish speaking culture.

It drives me insane too and I live in New York where that's way more prevalent.

YES! I've noticed that. I always wondered why "everyone" is Spanish in New York. Why is east Harlem referred to as Spanish Harlem?

Old 03-01-2018, 08:03 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
“Mexican” is taken as an insult by a good number of Mexican-Americans. That is old news in Texas and I thought that was old news everywhere. It is one reason the more PC crowd avoids using that term, favoring Spanish or Hispanic. Also realize that calling a non Mexican Hispanic who may look Mexican, “Mexican”, you stand a chance of starting a war.

A similar thing is calling someone a “Jew.” Even though they are a Jew, calling them that can be an big insult.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,449 times
I am married to a Mex-Am from Texas and all his relatives refer to the one side of the family as "Spanish" more, so maybe it is a Texas Hispanic thing?

They used it to qualify the difference tween the 2 sides in that the "Spanish" ones either look more white or are from Spain way back, their ancestors.

The other side they don't say it usually and don't seem as proud, but I would wish they would be, are more Indian, more broad nosed and dark. But the non Spanish side still has one "Spanish" person and they always refer to her that way because although not light, her mom was from Spain.

I am fascinated by the different names people call themselves. it is not for us to judge them or tell them what to do, unless we want others to do the same to us. Another example the word Chicano is never used here. I thought it was a generational thing but it also seems more common to use that term in California. I just looked it up and even in Texas in the 70's the progressive movement folks called themselves Chicanos. To do that today in Texas would be a mistake.

As far as having a German last name, if you are not familiar with Hispanics that can throw you off, many Mexican have Germanic sounding last names like Aleman. Here is a good article about why that happens and how.https://newstaco.com/2011/06/15/lati...exist-like-me/

Most Anglos or non Hispanics not familiar with the culture have a lot of stereotypes about them. They are as diverse as any 2 average "whites", whatever "white" means.

A book I really enjoyed about New Mexico is called WE FED THEM CACTUS. Here is a line from a review "A member of an old Hispanic family, Cabeza de Baca celebrates her Spanish heritage rather than the Mestizo culture embraced by later writers." It seems in New Mexico they use the term "Spanish" as well to denote the differences tween the 2 types of Hispanics in New Mexico at the time. It is a really enjoyable read because it really makes you feel what is was like then.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Thus you and others like you are Hispanic.
Crashj007 if you go around Spain and in conversation mention the word "Hispanic".
It will be assumed you are referring to the people's of south and central america that speak the Spanish language.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Yes, this is what it’s about. They are trying to make clear that they are not indigenous, though they likely have some indigenous blood.

This is also a big thing in Central America where there is a racial pecking order that Americans are not comfortable acknowledging— the whiter you are, the higher up the social spectrum.

Yes. Sadly, the same here in So. America. I especially feel bad about the ads featuring all white people.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Now you have!
If I let every passing, uncorraborated anecdote from the internet into what I consider my gnosis, I, and society in general, would probably cease to exist from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
My late father in law was of Mexican heritage . His family used to jokingly refer to the Spanish as the " white European invaders " .
Well, he wasn't wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Mexican = Hispanic = Latinos
So Puerto Ricans are Hispanic and Latino, thus are considered Mexican, in your view. What interesting logic. Not good logic, just interesting.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have never heard of any Mexicans who prefer to be called Spanish rather than Mexican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Now you have!
If I let every passing, uncorraborated anecdote from the internet into what I consider my gnosis, I, and society in general, would probably cease to exist from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
My late father in law was of Mexican heritage . His family used to jokingly refer to the Spanish as the " white European invaders " .
Well, he wasn't wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Mexican = Hispanic = Latinos
So Puerto Ricans are Hispanic and Latino, thus are considered Mexican, in your view. What interesting logic. Not good logic, just interesting.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
To clarify the topic of this thread, I am talking about a co-worker who says that she knows some Mexican-Americans who prefer to be referred to as Spanish.

I don't think your friend qualifies for this category.
Many years ago, I was told that just like the USA, Mexico has a racial bias issue, and some there feel that claiming pure Spanish heritage in Mexico is better than Mexican heritage which is mixed.

So, essentially, your coworker is a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships