Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

My great niece invited several family members for dinner. She’s single and just purchased her first house.

After supper, and after guests had had several cups of coffee, my great niece’s dad and boyfriend shut down the water to the house and proceeded to replace the one and only toilet in the home.

That side of the family thought nothing of inconveniencing their guests by shutting down the toilet for hours. The replacement job didn’t go as quickly as planned. The old toilet had to be temporarily reset in place several times for the elderly guests to empty bladders and bowels.

None of us were told in advance that the toilet would not be operable during our visit. Had I be made aware of that fact, I would have declined the invitation.

Who does that? Is this not odd behavior?
Am I wrong to be disgusted by what happened?
Would you do this to your guests and think nothing of their discomfort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Dinner was over, and several cups of coffee had been drunk - maybe it was time to go home?

The above reminded me of this thread, and some of the responses.

end of the night - picking up on social cues

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
She probably mentioned that she was going to replace toilet. The boyfriend and dad probably said that's a easy quick job only take 10 minutes tops, which may be true in most cases for someone that really knows what they are doing. But it didn't go as planned. Yeah stupid idea. Probably a macho guy thing they can fix it with duct tape.

My husband and father did something like that. Kitchen facet was leaking a bit and they decided it must be the o-rings so proceeded to take apart faucet. Then they find out we don't have the right size rings. Forty minutes to store and back. Couldn't get facet back together properly. So need to shut off water under sink for the night because stores all closed can't buy new faucet. Shut offs under sink don't close all the way so shut off water main. I have to go to work early and need a shower...... Idjits. I told them before they started I wanted to get a new faucet but what I didn't need was a emergency situation with them picking out some ugly cheap faucet that they ended up picking out.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 03-20-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
It literally takes about 3 minutes to swap toilets. Maybe they should have hired someone that knew what they were doing.

WTH was in that coffee?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Definitely odd that they did that after dinner - why not wait until the guests left?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
That side of the family thought nothing of inconveniencing their guests by shutting down the toilet for hours.
You sure you aren't related to me? That sounds like my family.

One Thanksgiving, my father and uncle got the bright idea to run a new line of pipe to my garden so I didn't have to haul the hose over there. Very thoughtful, certainly. However, they turned off the main and proceeded to cut a pipe without any way of putting a valve on it. Then realized that hardware stores are closed on Thanksgiving (big surprise!).

Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
She probably mentioned that she was going to replace toilet. The boyfriend and dad probably said that's a easy quick job only take 10 minutes tops, which may be true in most cases for someone that really knows what they are doing. But it didn't go as planned. Yeah stupid idea. Probably a macho guy thing they can fix it with duct tape.
Yep. That was exactly my thought. The niece didn't plan on it happening after dinner, but the men decided they could take care of it.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The old toilet had to be temporarily reset in place several times for the elderly guests to empty bladders and bowels.

I think I would have left rather than made use of a temporarily replaced toilet. That's awkward as all get out.

I certainly wouldn't plan something like that but maybe the dinner invitation had already been extended and niece didn't know until after that this was the only time in the foreseeable future the guys could take care of this. Maybe they sprung it on her the day of. Maybe she didn't realize her guest were going to hang around so long. Maybe she's just clueless, lol.
It certainly makes for a good story.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Dinner was over, and several cups of coffee had been drunk - maybe it was time to go home?

The above reminded me of this thread, and some of the responses.

end of the night - picking up on social cues

Social cue or not, I would have been gone

Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
My great niece invited several family members for dinner. She’s single and just purchased her first house.

After supper, and after guests had had several cups of coffee, my great niece’s dad and boyfriend shut down the water to the house and proceeded to replace the one and only toilet in the home.

That side of the family thought nothing of inconveniencing their guests by shutting down the toilet for hours. The replacement job didn’t go as quickly as planned. The old toilet had to be temporarily reset in place several times for the elderly guests to empty bladders and bowels.

None of us were told in advance that the toilet would not be operable during our visit. Had I be made aware of that fact, I would have declined the invitation.

Who does that? Is this not odd behavior?
Am I wrong to be disgusted by what happened?
That is the most creative way I've ever heard to get guests moving along and out after the event is over.

I've just resorted to boring stuff, like putting up the alcohol and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships