Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times

Advertisements

I am a guy (title says it all) and have this female friend at college. Which of the following is considered appropriate? Keep in mind that we're just friends, not interested in dating each other.

1. I told her that I would like to meet her brothers, sisters. You know, we're all in the same field, so we could network.
2. I want to go over to her house, get to know her family, have a nice chat. Or vice versa: my parents and brother could introduce themselves to her if she comes over to my house.
3. I want to watch a movie together (just us two, going to the cinemas)
4. We are friends on facebook. She is a Catholic, I am a conservative evangelical Christian. We have a friendly discussion about religion. She tells me that her (married) sister is also an evangelical Christian. So I send a facebook message to her (married) sister, introducing myself: "Hey, your sister and I are friends, had a nice chat about religion. You and I have similar religious views. Maybe you could introduce your sister to evangelical Christianity." (Gee, I'm half afraid that her husband will be jealous and thinks I'll do something with his wife...not that I would do anything like that).

I know these may be weird questions, and some of them may be obvious, but not to me. Keep in mind that except for my mom, I do not have a single female relative within 7,000 miles of me, all my other friends are guys (I'm an engineering major), and thus I have no (other) female friend to turn to for girl advice.

Side note: my friend is a very tomboyish computer science major, but is straight. She also has Asperger's, like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
#3 is the only one that is appropriate IMO.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am a guy (title says it all) and have this female friend at college. Which of the following is considered appropriate? Keep in mind that we're just friends, not interested in dating each other.

1. I told her that I would like to meet her brothers, sisters. You know, we're all in the same field, so we could network.
2. I want to go over to her house, get to know her family, have a nice chat. Or vice versa: my parents and brother could introduce themselves to her if she comes over to my house.
3. I want to watch a movie together (just us two, going to the cinemas)
4. We are friends on facebook. She is a Catholic, I am a conservative evangelical Christian. We have a friendly discussion about religion. She tells me that her (married) sister is also an evangelical Christian. So I send a facebook message to her (married) sister, introducing myself: "Hey, your sister and I are friends, had a nice chat about religion. You and I have similar religious views. Maybe you could introduce your sister to evangelical Christianity." (Gee, I'm half afraid that her husband will be jealous and thinks I'll do something with his wife...not that I would do anything like that).

I know these may be weird questions, and some of them may be obvious, but not to me. Keep in mind that except for my mom, I do not have a single female relative within 7,000 miles of me, all my other friends are guys (I'm an engineering major), and thus I have no (other) female friend to turn to for girl advice.

Side note: my friend is a very tomboyish computer science major, but is straight. She also has Asperger's, like me.
#4 is WAY out of line.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
#3 is the only one that is appropriate IMO.
Could you explain why #1 is not appropriate? If she asked to meet my brother, both I and my brother would gladly agree to do so.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
#4 is WAY out of line.
Is this because guys shouldn't talk to married women? Or is it because religion is a controversial topic?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
B/c you're suggesting she should convert and her sister should do it. #3 is best.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Is this because guys shouldn't talk to married women? Or is it because religion is a controversial topic?

You don't even know her. A message like that is simply too personal and pushy. Concentrate on getting to know the girl first. Leave her family alone unless she introduces you to them on her own accord, not you pushing.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Well, there's a few problems, and her being married is really the least of the issues.

For one thing, I know you are lonely, but you really should focus on your friendship with this girl and not try to force interactions with her family.

Also, it's really not cool to just message a stranger and suggest that they conspire with you to convert their relative.

Just be a friend. If you meet her family, that's a bonus.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
The side note should be at the top... The following situations were mostly eye popping, but the note explains where you're coming from.

#3 is best.

#1 & #2 seems really odd. Usually these things happen organically but it seems like you're trying to force it.

#4 is thoroughly inappropriate. I... think you're trying to make a joke... Hopefully. Religions is one of the topics you really shouldn't be broaching with those you don't know and it can be highly misinterpreted. This case, (if it is a joke) it falls flat and seems disrespectful.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
No offense but you sound cluless and, as others have said, pushy. I'd tell my sister to stay away from you just based on these interactions. You seem like the type of guy they eventually make Dateline episodes about.

And I say this in all seriousness, you're clueless and a bit creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships