Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 AM

468 posts, read 356,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post

What about you? If you had a brother or sister you had such a distant cold relationship with that you had not talked to them in ten years, would you drive 500 miles to visit them at the hospital on their death bed?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,575,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
I asked my wife why she does not call her sister up on the phone or plan a trip to visit her. My wife said, "why should I, we have not talked to each other for the last ten years when she was well, why now?"
Wow! What a terrible thing for her to say. If you guys can afford the trip, and you aren't on a fixed income she should go, and hold her sister's hand. If she doesn't go, this is something that she will regret for the rest of her life. If she has a heart. Is this where she has to get the last word in? "I'll show you by my absence how unimportant you are in my life."

We all make mistakes. Some we can stop ahead of time, like this one.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can't think of any good reason not to. No major blowup just a cold distant relationship? Friend might be different but a sibling? With this attitude sounds like your wife might have been the reason the relationship was cold and distant.
I wondered the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Wow! What a terrible thing for her to say. If you guys can afford the trip, and you aren't on a fixed income she should go, and hold her sister's hand. If she doesn't go, this is something that she will regret for the rest of her life. If she has a heart. Is this where she has to get the last word in? "I'll show you by my absence how unimportant you are in my life."

We all make mistakes. Some we can stop ahead of time, like this one.
I agree that you should visit. If you can't afford to make the trip, your wife should at least call her sister. Even if the sister is semi-conscious or unconscious, the hospital staff can put the phone to her ear and your wife can talk to her sister.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-06-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 10:05 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Yes.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:09 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
I can't answer as I can't imagine being that estranged from my sister. I only have one sibling.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,561,291 times
Agree with last 4, 5 posts. Yes. Regret is a terrible burden on the soul. I did well in my own life, never had any until
last few years. It weighs heavy on the human heart. And if she continues to have no bother over this, I would take into question her own .... you find the word ... emotions? neuorsis?

Life is short. Nostalgia mixed with a sullen thought is not attractive.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If the sister is lucid and capable of a conversation, I'd go visit.

If she's reached the point where she's unable to communicate effectively or wouldn't know the sister was in the room, I think I wouldn't.
I've heard it said that even if someone is unconscious part of them can still hear you. People in operating rooms that were "out" said later that they heard every word that was said. People who are Bible believers have read comforting passages to the sick, and dying ones which is said to help make their passage easier.

Who is to say that they can't hear us in some way. Apologies can even be said to the dying one which can help both them, and the living. There is much more to us than just this body. Death frightens many of us. Avoiding someone who is dying can be avoiding our own mortality.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
If your wife will have no regrets then I don't see why she should go out of her way to see her sister before she dies.
Because of our own hardness of heart we won't realize that we've made a huge mistake until much later in life. Past the point where we can help that other one. But many of us do finally learn, and that is where the regret comes into play. I speak from experience. Better late than not at all, but it's second best.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So there is some reason that the dying sister can't make a phone call if she wants to patch things up? Any hospital I've ever been in has phones.
The dying sister is the weak, and fragile one. Probably depressed, nauseated from the drugs, and who knows what else. Why on earth should she be the one to call a relatively healthy, and sound sibling? Doesn't she have enough going on without having to do that too? Gee, heap some more stressful things onto her why don't you. She doesn't even know which breath will be her last. Yeah, let's leave it all up to the dying one so we can assuage our guilt.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
I don't know about regretting it forever if she doesn't visit. I have often not visited dying family I was not close to, but called or write instead. I was warned many times I would regret it forever. I haven't. Not at all. People have to do what is right for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships