Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:19 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,757,919 times

Advertisements

I had a falling out with my sister who lives out of state. I told her that I wasn't going to talk to her anymore and I didn't contact her. This was 5 years ago. She did visit my area with her family 3 years ago and used her kids to email me to set up a dinner. I went. And that was the last of it. It went fine. But I went because I felt bad to say no to the kids. They haven't been out since.

I just don't want to talk to her. She sent me an email saying that she will call the police if I don't talk to her at least 2 times a year. I know that it is BS that she can get the police involved legally, because I'm not sick and I am not crazy or wanting to kill myself. She brought it up a couple years ago, about calling the police and I said I'd contact the police about her. I've never been in a mental institution, or had a major illness or been suicidal. So it doesn't seem like a legit thing to do. Anyway, I don't want to respond, but I don't want the police showing up and making a scene or breaking the door down if I'm not home, so should I call the police in my city and let them know not to come out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 PM

6,315 posts, read 4,224,225 times
Why are you not blocking her emails? How old are your sisters children?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,142,881 times
Weird. She can't force you to talk to her. And calling the police? What is she going to tell them? Just ignore her.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Why are you not blocking her emails? How old are your sisters children?

Because I would like the info, such as that she is going to call the police. Children are 2 yrs to 13... there are 6 now.

Bottom line, I don't want the police to show up and bother me or get the keys from my apartment manager. Privacy in my home is very important to me.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 PM

[quote=FelixTheCat;52527558]Because I would like the info, such as that she is going to call the police. Children are 2 yrs to 13... there are 6 now.

Bottom line, I don't want the police to show up and bother me or get the keys from my apartment manager. Privacy in my home is very important to me.[/QUOTE

What you are doing then is giving your sister access to you so she can threaten and bully you. It seems to be working. You can certainly let your apartment manager know that if there is an emergency they can contact a designated person, and nobody else. Police will do a welfare check if called but all you have to do is tell them she is harassing you and using the police to try and bully you into talking to her. That is not such a terrible thing because it will go on their report and if your sister tried to do it again they are going to ignore her or tell her off for wasting their time.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 PM

It might be prudent to send an email that states clearly that you wish to be left alone, that her constant threats are tantamount to stalking and you will seek legal means to deal with it. Then Block her email, keep a print out copy of the email you sent and IF the police do show up, you show then you have asked her to leave you alone.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It might be prudent to send an email that states clearly that you wish to be left alone, that her constant threats are tantamount to stalking and you will seek legal means to deal with it. Then Block her email, keep a print out copy of the email you sent and IF the police do show up, you show then you have asked her to leave you alone.

That's what I did the first time. But it happened again. I was just thinking I should call the police ahead of time.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
That's what I did the first time. But it happened again. I was just thinking I should call the police ahead of time.
You mean she called the police and they came to your home?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Plus it’s hard to get a restraining order or file a complaint if you are still allowing her to communicate with you.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM

[quote=Spuggy;52527618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Because I would like the info, such as that she is going to call the police. Children are 2 yrs to 13... there are 6 now.

Bottom line, I don't want the police to show up and bother me or get the keys from my apartment manager. Privacy in my home is very important to me.[/QUOTE

What you are doing then is giving your sister access to you so she can threaten and bully you. It seems to be working. You can certainly let your apartment manager know that if there is an emergency they can contact a designated person, and nobody else. Police will do a welfare check if called but all you have to do is tell them she is harassing you and using the police to try and bully you into talking to her. That is not such a terrible thing because it will go on their report and if your sister tried to do it again they are going to ignore her or tell her off for wasting their time.

Yeah, maybe I should talk to my apartment manager. It's a kind of weird conversation to start though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships