Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Have been a loner my entire life and of course there are reasons why that happened. For most of my life I chided myself because I wasn't comfortable being social and/or being like others. Finally, in my later years, I've learned to accept who I am, which has resulted in a contentment never before experienced.

It's difficult for me to find common ground with other people. I do have one friend who is very much like me and although we don't spend a lot of time together, we do talk on the phone weekly and never run out of things to say.

We have seniors in my apartment complex that meet regularly in the clubhouse for snacks and chit chat; at times I join in but once I'm there I begin to feel trapped and can't wait to leave. I like meaningful conversations and have tried numerous times to get them started but it always ends up they prefer to talk about their aches and pains, their grandchildren or great grandchildren. It was the same when I was much younger and friends only wanted to talk about their kid's diaper rash, and not having children I would tune them out.

When out and about I'm at ease striking up conversations with complete strangers and I believe it's because I don't feel trapped and can exit stage left asap.

I certainly can relate katie45....

Divorced with no kids, older, puts you in a separate category...I don't enjoy groups of women for the reasons you mentioned...

Rather read a book and actually gain something than waste time gossiping or discussing other's families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm becoming a full blown hermit myself. It's not all bad.

I don't see a "bad" side...it's just the way it is....

Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Is there an actual question here?

No...a discussion thread...

Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
That's how I am. I'm polite and nice to others, but I don't really enjoy dealing with people. I stay in touch with my family because it is the right thing to do and it's important to have support, but I don't really miss them when I'm not around them. I'm a loner and I've gone a couple of weeks without talking to anyone else, and I didn't feel lonely or really miss other people at all. I'd say that would be to the far end of the introverted range.

I know extroverts who can't stand being alone and complain about being "lonely" when they are by themselves for any length of time. I guess we're all just wired differently.
Yep, ditto that. I’ve been that way pretty much all of my life. I’ve never found time with people to be very rewarding and am almost always glad when it’s done and I can get back to peace and quiet.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Is there an actual question here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No...a discussion thread...
Why do people often ask that? I don't get it. Is there some rule where every thread needs to be a question? Occasionally I see forum members tell the OP to start a blog if there isn't a question. I don't get that either.

And regarding this thread, if a question is necessary, I'd argue that there's an implied question such as "how do you feel about the company of others?" or even just "Do you feel the same way?"

Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
People are fine, from a distance, like on this forum. Or in small doses and on my schedule. I went to a movie with a friend a few weeks ago, it filled my need for people for at least a month or two, lol.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People are fine, from a distance, like on this forum. Or in small doses and on my schedule. I went to a movie with a friend a few weeks ago, it filled my need for people for at least a month or two, lol.

My need for people can go for an even longer time span...

Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I prefer my own company or that of some people in here. I was in a couple of chat rooms for years and grew tired of them year after year. The 2016 Presidential race put the kibosh on them as well as my FB activity. I rarely even go there. I just don't care anymore. I am tired. Tired of having to interact with people. I like going to the store and being a smiley person on the outside and sometimes having interactions with other Patriots fans, that's why I mainly wear Pats' tshirts out in public....ice breakers. It works well too. Then go home happy after having been social for a minute. That's enough for me.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I prefer my own company or that of some people in here. I was in a couple of chat rooms for years and grew tired of them year after year. The 2016 Presidential race put the kibosh on them as well as my FB activity. I rarely even go there. I just don't care anymore. I am tired. Tired of having to interact with people. I like going to the store and being a smiley person on the outside and sometimes having interactions with other Patriots fans, that's why I mainly wear Pats' tshirts out in public....ice breakers. It works well too. Then go home happy after having been social for a minute. That's enough for me.
Congrats on your victory

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Congrats on your victory
Lol, thanks. It does feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships