Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times

Advertisements

If you get fired from a sales job it is usually because you are not producing. What industry is he in? Were all the other jobs sales jobs too? In the same industry?

A lot of people get into sales because they think it is easy money not realizing how much is actually involved. Has he taken sales training courses? Does he know his product? Is he good at networking? Is he personable and fun to be around? Does he put in the hours and is willing to do the hard work? Is he a negative or positive person? Does he enjoy talking to people?

If the answers are no, then maybe it is time he looked at another career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
If he doesn't want to invest the time in looking/or training for a new career, while he is deciding his next step, he can be a SAHD. Let him run the house and take care of the teenagers. Meanwhile, I would open a second savings account (if you haven't already), and put in a little each pay period.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Hasn't the husband been a problem for years???? Not just job stuff.

Sorry but if he's been fired from multiple jobs, there's something off.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Well, when I was losing jobs, it was a combination of me and the economy. I made poor choices of who to work for and the economy did me no favors. I'm sure my ex-wife thought I'd never hold down a job. But after the recession I landed a job that I stayed at for 5 years and was promoted. Left that job and went to a new company in 2017 and am still there. BUT sales is a different story entirely. I'm not in sales. I'd fail miserably if I was. Good news is the economy is strong and he should be able to find something pretty fast.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
If you get fired from a sales job it is usually because you are not producing. What industry is he in? Were all the other jobs sales jobs too? In the same industry?

A lot of people get into sales because they think it is easy money not realizing how much is actually involved. Has he taken sales training courses? Does he know his product? Is he good at networking? Is he personable and fun to be around? Does he put in the hours and is willing to do the hard work? Is he a negative or positive person? Does he enjoy talking to people?

If the answers are no, then maybe it is time he looked at another career.
He’s in the hotel industry. He is very savvy in the business, actually got this job from networking. He used to be very positive, but lately he hasn’t been.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Hasn't the husband been a problem for years???? Not just job stuff.

Sorry but if he's been fired from multiple jobs, there's something off.
Yup, we’ve had problems on and off. We were back in a very good place when he lost a different job. Since then it’s been downhill again.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:23 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
What about getting a divorce? You haven't been living together and you aren't connecting. You didn't have one positive thing to say about him so what are you waiting for?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am beside myself right now. I have always had a roller coaster of a life, things start to get good, something really bad happens. Literally, every single time.

Things haven't been good for two years. My husband lost his job and was working on a contract basis for a year out of state. He finally landed a permanent job in another state, living away from us for a year. It has been hard as hell being a single parent to two teenagers with very little support.

The last month I have been working very hard to be positive, thing good thoughts, change those awful thoughts in my head to something good. I was making tremendous progress, feeling good, letting go.

Five minutes ago my husband called, he was fired. Again.

I can't take it anymore. I hate not having stability. I hate him losing jobs constantly. I don't know if it is him, or his field (sales).

Just needed to vent.... that black cloud just will never leave me.
I understand your venting. But I don't really understand why you feel this is about you. I've known several men who have been fired or laid off, and yet their families managed to rally to support them. Because, surely, your husband feels just as badly, or worse, than you do. Yeah, it must be tough being a single parent of teens, but is it tougher than living apart from your family for a year or more?

Are you employed Veuve? How old is your husband ( and I ask because most of those I know who have been let go were in their 50s)?

So ok, let it go here, but please don't do it in front of him, or your kids. Now is the time to close ranks and just be there for each other.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
Is your husband coming home then? Can you support yourself and your kids? He needs to come home and get any job he can get. He should get 2 jobs. His top priority should be supporting his family. If he's not going to do that, then you have some questions to ask yourself.

Print this out and read it every day:
What you focus on you find
What you focus on grows
What you focus on seems real
What you focus on you become

Time to change your focus. I know it's easier said than done, but habits can be changed. It really sounds like your husband is bringing you down and your fear of HIS failure is overwhelming. If you have insurance, you might qualify for a few free therapist visits. A good therapist is a great person to talk to and unload all these feelings you have without fear of him/her repeating it to anyone. They can also help and guide you to make changes or decisions for yourself without judgement. Please find someone like a licensed therapist to talk to. You'll be so glad you did.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships