Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 10:26 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

If that's the worst thing that happened to you that day you're doing A-ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 04:20 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
The comment doesn't necessarily refer to age but to similarity in looks. My sister and one of my aunts were mistaken for siblings all the time.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaniesmith77 View Post
Someone asked if my mom and I were sisters. My mom is 77 and I’m 48. Does that mean I look older than 48? My mom maybe looks 65 but not any younger. It really gets to me. I don’t feel like I look that old but nobody ever says I look young when I tell them I’m 48.
They just meant that you look a lot alike. It probably would have been more politic to say "are you related" but if you look less than 20 years apart, "sisters" is safer than "mother and daughter" in terms of level of possibly offending someone.

Don't read too much into it.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
People think my dad and I are sister & brother all the time

His genes are way better than mine though im like the female version of him … he’s 75 & i’m 41 but ive been thru 2 divorces & a ton of stress. I have more grays than he does!!

He’s very youthful. I think he could pass for 50.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:55 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It seems that OP has serious issues with her insecurities and self esteem, and quickly blame others.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...r-judging.html

Old 03-17-2023, 05:39 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I don't know. If a new mother is out with her baby and someone asks her if she's the grandmother, I can see her feeling offended about that. And if someone asks a mom who is still carrying baby weight in her belly when she's due..and she's not pregnant..watch out.

Why is it thin skinned skinned for a middle aged woman to not appreciate her looks being compared to her elderly mother's looks?

Old 03-17-2023, 07:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know. If a new mother is out with her baby and someone asks her if she's the grandmother, I can see her feeling offended about that. And if someone asks a mom who is still carrying baby weight in her belly when she's due..and she's not pregnant..watch out.

Why is it thin skinned skinned for a middle aged woman to not appreciate her looks being compared to her elderly mother's looks?

I think it's a waste of mental and emotional energy for anyone to care about what a rude stranger says about something so personal as how a person looks.

But I also acknowledge that, for many, it takes work and effort to get your mind to shrug that kind of thing off. It's worth it in the end though, learning to pfft other people's opinions about such personal stuff..

Some people are just that insecure, they take everything personally.

Or

Some people just are always looking for a reason to feel offended, because that's the way they go through life.

Some call it a chip on your shoulder, some call it being a professional victim, some call it thin skinned.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Someone asked if my mom and I were sisters. My mom is 77 and I’m 48. Does that mean I look older than 48? My mom maybe looks 65 but not any younger. It really gets to me. I don’t feel like I look that old but nobody ever says I look young when I tell them I’m 48.
You would have to post pictures of the two of you to determine that.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Welcome to my life. My father was 20 and mom was 19 when they had me. My father had kids with a second wife, finishing at 43. When I first got out of the Army, we were in the mall with the 3 youngest. A lady approached to compliment ME on my children and my father on his grandchildren.
When my younger brother (7 years) was in high school I came to pick him up and asked another student to go tell him. My brother came out laughing said his friend told him his mom was here to pick him up.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:32 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

You are equating appearance with age in a situation where you should instead be equating appearance with your family genetics.

You and your mother's apparent ages has nothing to do with the other person's question about the family relationship between you and your mother. It means that you and your mother look like you could be siblings regardless of your respective ages. You and your mother bear a strong family resemblance that comes from your mother's side of the family. That's all it means.

If somebody said that you and your father look like you could be siblings would you think that means that they believe you look like an old man or that they believe your father looks like a young woman? Or would you just think it means that you and your father share a strong family resemblance that comes from your father's side of the family?

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships