Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 03:48 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Parnassia - I really appreciate that.

And thanks to you all as well for your answers!

Old 09-16-2023, 04:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
No, I'm already in the field and honestly, it wouldn't have made a difference for me - except maybe to put on my resume to impress. The reason I entered the contest was so that I can collaborate with her and guarantee that she advances towards the end stages. But it backfired because I was the one who was accepted instead. The selection process also involved other factors like an essay, professional background, etc.
Just quit. You shouldn't have entered the contest in order to help another contestant in the first place. Quit, get better friends, be a better friend, and move on.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:16 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
No, I'm already in the field and honestly, it wouldn't have made a difference for me - except maybe to put on my resume to impress. The reason I entered the contest was so that I can collaborate with her and guarantee that she advances towards the end stages. But it backfired because I was the one who was accepted instead. The selection process also involved other factors like an essay, professional background, etc.
Herein lies the mistake. By entering to help her you would be unfairly eliminating better qualified applicants. As it was, this ploy failed. She was not good enough. Maybe she would have been next in line had you not entered. Maybe she would have not made the last 100 anyway.

If you told her you were entering in an attempt to help her later, then apparently she had no qualms about that, which actually from your description seems like cheating. It is not reasonable for her to have a gripe with you.

As for calling racism - without knowing how the competition is scored, and without knowing how many other POC made it to the qualifying group, I don't know how we can tell if she has a valid complaint or not. Do you think racism is why she didn't make the final cut?

Old 09-16-2023, 06:00 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Yes I agree which is why I’m a bit depressed. I did want her to succeed. Had I known the outcome I wouldn’t have even entered the contest.
You entered with specific intent and that was not only unethical it also backfired.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:20 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think she raises a good point. Did the contest organizers consider the possibility, that people already working in the field the scholarship was for, would apply to be contestants? Isn't that an unfair advantage, not to mention--it has the potential of wasting a scholarship on someone who doesn't need the training, if that person were to win? You'd think they'd bar participation to professionals already in the field.
Plus, how can a person finish in the top 100 but not be among 200 people to be invited to the next level? I can understand why she thinks something stinks to high heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
So professionals that are ineligible can sign up and flex in their own mirror, showing off how smart they are through three rounds, kicking truly eligible people out of the running along the way and then get the boot when they reach the finals?
...and does this contest then go back and re-advance people who won't be automatically disqualified later? Or is that one of their ways of whittling the numbers down, knowing that if they take, say, 50 people to the 4th level, that they'll have an easy way to drop it down to, say, 30 without actually having to have competition/vet other qualifications?

Old 09-16-2023, 07:37 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Plus, how can a person finish in the top 100 but not be among 200 people to be invited to the next level? I can understand why she thinks something stinks to high heaven.
I think this needs explaining. On what grounds could the friend have been booted, if she made it to the top 100? Were there other criteria at play, besides scoring well on the answers?

Old 09-16-2023, 07:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
At the contest, there were 1000 competitors globally, and she finished in the top 100's.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think she raises a good point. Did the contest organizers consider the possibility, that people already working in the field the scholarship was for, would apply to be contestants? Isn't that an unfair advantage, not to mention--it has the potential of wasting a scholarship on someone who doesn't need the training, if that person were to win? You'd think they'd bar participation to professionals already in the field.

It seems like the recruitment of contestants wasn't well thought-through by the contest organizers. I agree with the suggestion that the OP drop out. But when doing so, she should let the contest judges know why she's dropping out: because she's already a professional in the field, and doesn't need the training, and wants to leave the scholarship for people who do need the training.

It would be interesting to see how the judges respond to that.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
My advice will be a little different. She is, currently, still your friend. Be her friend and tell her the error of your ways. Tell her that her vengeful attitude will come to bite her someway and that you're hurt at her response to her rejection.

She may very well reject what you have to say, but I think you should say something anyway.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
So professionals that are ineligible can sign up and flex in their own mirror, showing off how smart they are through three rounds, kicking truly eligible people out of the running along the way and then get the boot when they reach the finals?

What kind of ethical person would sign up for such a contest? What kind of organization does not vet the entrants and disqualify those that do not meet the criteria for entry and ensure those that are competing meet the requirements?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.