Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 08:23 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think this needs explaining. On what grounds could the friend have been booted, if she made it to the top 100? Were there other criteria at play, besides scoring well on the answers?
Exactly. Were people randomly chosen, or something? Was it like a lottery rather than a true contest, even though people were allegedly competing based on skill/knowledge?

So much of this doesn't make sense, at least the way OP is explaining it. People have to compete, but then those who score the highest still aren't chosen. There are people who are ineligible to win and are automatically removed from consideration, but this doesn't happen until late in the contest when those people have still pushed out other people who otherwise may have been eligible and stayed in the running longer (though I suppose it's true that if they're trying to get, say, the top 20 non-professionals, they probably still will even if the non-top-20 got pushed out earlier in the process than they would if professionals were banned outright). This sounds like a very odd "contest" that almost seems to be yanking people's chains/making them jump through hoops more than being legitimate. If it's truly the way OP makes it sound (there has to be more they're not saying/they're not explaining it well), I think I might also be disillusioned if I were OP's friend, if I entered this thinking it was based solely on merit and then found out it apparently wasn't.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:39 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Exactly. Were people randomly chosen, or something? Was it like a lottery rather than a true contest, even though people were allegedly competing based on skill/knowledge?

So much of this doesn't make sense, at least the way OP is explaining it. People have to compete, but then those who score the highest still aren't chosen. There are people who are ineligible to win and are automatically removed from consideration, but this doesn't happen until late in the contest when those people have still pushed out other people who otherwise may have been eligible and stayed in the running longer (though I suppose it's true that if they're trying to get, say, the top 20 non-professionals, they probably still will even if the non-top-20 got pushed out earlier in the process than they would if professionals were banned outright). This sounds like a very odd "contest" that almost seems to be yanking people's chains/making them jump through hoops more than being legitimate. If it's truly the way OP makes it sound (there has to be more they're not saying/they're not explaining it well), I think I might also be disillusioned if I were OP's friend, if I entered this thinking it was based solely on merit and then found out it apparently wasn't.
And the OP said that by entering, the OP could guarantee the friend advances!

Old 09-17-2023, 09:15 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Plus, how can a person finish in the top 100 but not be among 200 people to be invited to the next level? I can understand why she thinks something stinks to high heaven. ........
Because there is also an essay to write besides the test score on the written test. She may have written something that was a red flag to the contest givers, something that gave away she plays the race card for no reason and is quick to sue over any small slight.

Professional background was also considered. Perhaps she doesn't have good work experience or she has a history of starting and quitting. A good score on the written test would not overcome a poor work history. Maybe she has already sued over some slight, real or imagined.

If it is any kind of professional job, a background check will be done and if she can not pass a background check, even a very quick and simple one, then there is no point in training her.

I'm curious about what sort of contest this is and who is offering it, because the entire thing sounds completely bogus.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:04 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because there is also an essay to write besides the test score on the written test. She may have written something that was a red flag to the contest givers, something that gave away she plays the race card for no reason and is quick to sue over any small slight.

Professional background was also considered. Perhaps she doesn't have good work experience or she has a history of starting and quitting. A good score on the written test would not overcome a poor work history. Maybe she has already sued over some slight, real or imagined.

If it is any kind of professional job, a background check will be done and if she can not pass a background check, even a very quick and simple one, then there is no point in training her.

I'm curious about what sort of contest this is and who is offering it, because the entire thing sounds completely bogus.
If the Op's intent in joining this contest was to be there for her friend in an attempt to help her along, why wouldn't the Op have helped her friend write the essay?

This whole arrangement feels kind of shady. Maybe the organizers of this contest became aware of Op's professional status, realized that Op was there to give her friend an unfair advantage by coaching her throughout the contest and the organizers decided to put a swift end to their plot. Neither one would win, although Op was free to spend her time and effort competing in a contest that she was ineligible to win.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:48 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
So a friend and I were accepted into a jeopardy-like contest, where we had to answer very difficult questions in order to compete for a specialized training scholarship. It was basically a training that would allow her to switch careers and make very good money. I decided to introduce her to the contest because it was a fun (yet tedious) way to not have to pay for a career-changing scholarship which she needed. She is struggling financially, and lives in a very crime-ridden neighborhood, so I really thought this would be a good opportunity for her. (I found out about this contest through one of my coworkers who asked me if I know of anyone who would appreciate it).

At the contest, there were 1000 competitors globally, and she finished in the top 100's. (Only 200 people would be allowed to participate in the second part, so we were sure she'd get accepted). But the following week, I receive notification that it is me instead who has entered the second part of the contest. She instead, receives a rejection email. This made her very upset - especially since I am already a professional in the field the scholarship would train us for. She was basically questioning the committee, saying that their decisions may be race-based, etc. etc. She told me that she is going to use social media to blast them all, and even started to message other contestants who were rejected and basically spewing these thoughts to them as well.

I am very hurt by her actions, but don't know how to react. I was the one who brought her into this contest so that she may improve her life, and she was extremely grateful until the end when it didn't work out. I was not expecting her to react in that way. She seemed pretty vengeful and even wrote up an email (although she didn't send it yet), that there are "professionals employed in this field already, so why do they get to pass but not someone who really needs the scholarship" (meaning about me, but without mentioning my name). She also wrote, "Is this scholarship also race-based?"

I didn't even answer her text containing that draft email. I feel like I really wanted to help this person but at the same time, why would I want to bring toxicity into someone's workplace. How would you react if this was a friend of yours?
She's no "friend."

If she relies on the "race card" then she has no skills. We're seeing this in colleges now.

Go compete. Do as well as you can. Take the "high" road. Don't sink to her level.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:52 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
It sounds as if this contest was not well run and she is not wrong to question the integrity of it.

Why are you hurt by her behavior, OP? Her ire is not directed toward you, correct?

FWIW, it’s unfair to label her as toxic and her behavior deplorable when none of us know what she has experienced as a woman of color. Racism is alive and well in this country so let’s not pretend that it’s impossible.

How would I react? Knowing my friends, I’d withdraw from the contest & be their friend.

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-17-2023 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-17-2023, 12:41 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It sounds as if this contest was not well run and she is not wrong to question the integrity of it.

Why are you hurt by her behavior, OP? Her ire is not directed toward you, correct?

FWIW, it’s unfair to label her as toxic and her behavior deplorable when none of us know what she has experienced as a woman of color. Racism is alive and well in this country so let’s not pretend that it’s impossible.

How would I react? Knowing my friends, I’d withdraw from the contest & be their friend.
She went into the contest expecting that Op would give her an unfair edge that would help her to win a scholarship.

Perhaps if she had entered the contest and competed in a fair and square manner, she would have advanced further.

I don't think you can cheat and then blame the professor for flunking you out.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
She went into the contest expecting that Op would give her an unfair edge that would help her to win a scholarship.

Perhaps if she had entered the contest and competed in a fair and square manner, she would have advanced further.

I don't think you can cheat and then blame the professor for flunking you out.
I don't think that's what happened, though. If cheating had been suspected, they would have rejected the OP as well, rather than advancing her to the next stage.

So many puzzle parts here don't fit together...

Old 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think that's what happened, though. If cheating had been suspected, they would have rejected the OP as well, rather than advancing her to the next stage.

So many puzzle parts here don't fit together...
Maybe the assistance was just not enough for the anticipated result.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:29 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

So the essay and the background check had no bearing on her finishing in the top 100? I had sort of assumed she was top-100, all things considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.