Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 02:37 PM

6,587 posts, read 8,457,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't think you can cheat and then blame the professor for flunking you out.
OP didn’t indicate her friend didn’t advance because of cheating.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:55 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,238,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
To answer someone’s question, my number was also in the 100’s. The woman I was helping has a graduate certificate in the field and is actually very smart. Honestly, she should not be living in a bad area and making little money and I really wanted to help her. Like me, she struggled financially after her divorce. She also reminds me of a friend I had decades ago who was smart but poor and I was able to get her a job where I worked at the time. After that friend received the job and was very happy, she died suddenly in a car accident.

Oh I forgot to add, the judges will disqualify anyone with the professional background after they advance to the fourth and final stage so it’s up to the contestants to determine if they want to start or not. I believe professionals are allowed to engage to provide somewhat of a competitive environment, but I’m not sure.
Have you heard that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”?

Ignore the text from your so called ”friend” or simply respond that it sounds unprofessional to send the e-mail like that. Or that you wouldn’t do it if you were her.

Distance yourself from that person.

Stop mothering other people. Read the first sentence.

Truly sorry to say that - but I was in your shoes..until I learned better.

P.S. (Your “friend” might have deserved all that coming her way: the divorce, the lack of money, bad neighborhood - it is even worse that you think she is smart. She sounds vile)

Old 09-17-2023, 03:22 PM

17,602 posts, read 16,733,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP didn’t indicate her friend didn’t advance because of cheating.
No, but if Op's intent was to coach this friend through this contest, why wouldn't Op have helped her friend write the essay? That makes no sense.

They both went into this contest with the intention of cheating. Now they are both ineligible to win the scholarship which only seems fair.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No, but if Op's intent was to coach this friend through this contest, why wouldn't Op have helped her friend write the essay? That makes no sense.

They both went into this contest with the intention of cheating. Now they are both ineligible to win the scholarship which only seems fair.
With ChatGPT and how poorly this competition was run, its highly likely a majority - if not all - of the contestants had some assistance.

Regardless, OP’s question was how would I react and I’ll stand by my statement of: knowing my friends, I’d still be their friend.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
With ChatGPT and how poorly this competition was run, its highly likely a majority - if not all - of the contestants had some assistance.

Regardless, OP’s question was how would I react and I’ll stand by my statement of: knowing my friends, I’d still be their friend.
I don't know what ChatGPT is. But it sounds as though you are saying that it's o.k. to cheat because everyone else is doing it.

Maybe the contest organizers felt otherwise.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know what ChatGPT is. But it sounds as though you are saying that it's o.k. to cheat because everyone else is doing it.

Maybe the contest organizers felt otherwise.
What I’m saying is that I would not end a friendship over this situation. I wouldn’t ignore a text from her. And I wouldn’t feel hurt over it.

If OP wants to know exactly what I would say/do, then I need a lot more information to be able to determine that. Probably more information than OP wants to share.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
What I’m saying is that I would not end a friendship over this situation. I wouldn’t ignore a text from her. And I wouldn’t feel hurt over it.

If OP wants to know exactly what I would say/do, then I need a lot more information to be able to determine that. Probably more information than OP wants to share.
Op and her friend were both wrong and neither one has any grounds to whine about the results that they got.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Op and her friend were both wrong and neither one has any grounds to whine about the results that they got.
Re: the results they got. Without having more info, I can’t agree.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:50 AM

7,995 posts, read 5,421,238 times
Quote:
...She was basically questioning the committee, saying that their decisions may be race-based, etc. etc. She told me that she is going to use social media to blast them all, and even started to message other contestants who were rejected and basically spewing these thoughts to them as well.
Sounds a bit like a sore loser.

Quote:
How would you react if this was a friend of yours?
Funny how life is, you can be friends with someone and think you know them until a certain situation comes up and changes everything. She seems toxic. I guess I would keep my reaction calm and see if the friend calms down and thinks about her actions.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:14 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,256,739 times
Quote:
. She told me that she is going to use social media to blast them all, and even started to message other contestants who were rejected and basically spewing these thoughts to them as well.

This is a big red flag and reason enough to end this friendship. If not, it is likely that at some point she will go after you this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships