Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 02:57 PM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times

Advertisements

I will admit there are things I don't understand but I don't expect the OP to necessarily go into great detail. First and foremost the idea that a contest that's organized like this is somehow used to determine professional advancement/development. I'm trying to imagine what profession would embrace something like this.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:31 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I will admit there are things I don't understand but I don't expect the OP to necessarily go into great detail. First and foremost the idea that a contest that's organized like this is somehow used to determine professional advancement/development. I'm trying to imagine what profession would embrace something like this.
It's a chance at a scholarship for professional development in a certain field. Anyone (already in that field, as I understood it) can sign up for the program and pay for it; the contest was conceived (by someone, we don't know who) as a scholarship opportunity.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:35 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,037,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
It's engineering/ data scientists/ artificial intelligence and machine learning. Major companies with shortages pooled in their monies to provide the scholarships through a contest. Whoever succeeds with math/ programming and tech questions and scenarios involving the use of those skills will advance to the next stage. It was an extremely tedious process - not even ChatGPT was able to help.

These are very good careers but require some knowledge and major studying to get into which is why there are global shortages.

Anyways, she called me to apologize about her behavior. We will continue to search for similar opportunities. Thanks to all for your answers.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:59 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I'm curious about what sort of contest this is and who is offering it, because the entire thing sounds completely bogus.

I agree. Something sounds off here.

Wonder if this was advertised on Craig's List?

Old 09-18-2023, 05:46 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,037,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I agree. Something sounds off here.

Wonder if this was advertised on Craig's List?
No. It was advertised on one of the professional certifying associations.

Honestly, I'm not expecting people without a science and tech (STEM) background to understand. I cannot imagine a similar contest to get a job working at a grocery store.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:56 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
It's engineering/ data scientists/ artificial intelligence and machine learning. Major companies with shortages pooled in their monies to provide the scholarships through a contest. Whoever succeeds with math/ programming and tech questions and scenarios involving the use of those skills will advance to the next stage. It was an extremely tedious process - not even ChatGPT was able to help.

These are very good careers but require some knowledge and major studying to get into which is why there are global shortages.

Anyways, she called me to apologize about her behavior. We will continue to search for similar opportunities. Thanks to all for your answers.
That's a nice end note, OP. I'm glad she's recovered from her disappointment a bit, and you both are friends, still.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:49 PM

350 posts, read 196,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
My advice will be a little different. She is, currently, still your friend. Be her friend and tell her the error of your ways. Tell her that her vengeful attitude will come to bite her someway and that you're hurt at her response to her rejection.

She may very well reject what you have to say, but I think you should say something anyway.
The OP had no error of her ways to confess.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And the OP said that by entering, the OP could guarantee the friend advances!
She didn't mean that LITERALLY.

When I took the phone company test after school one day in high school, we got trapped and instead of sneaking out the back we had to stay.

I gave my BFF the English and She gave me the Math. Yes we both got called for the job.

Neither one of us could GUARANTEE ANYTHING.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If the Op's intent in joining this contest was to be there for her friend in an attempt to help her along, why wouldn't the Op have helped her friend write the essay?

This whole arrangement feels kind of shady. Maybe the organizers of this contest became aware of Op's professional status, realized that Op was there to give her friend an unfair advantage by coaching her throughout the contest and the organizers decided to put a swift end to their plot. Neither one would win, although Op was free to spend her time and effort competing in a contest that she was ineligible to win.
OMG why are people picking the thing apart. What if she simply FAILED THE BACKGROUND CHECK are we going to blame the OP, also?????

Old 09-19-2023, 06:31 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

I am glad your faith in her has been restored.

It seems to me that contestants who have experience in the field can enter in the initial rounds to provide knowledge transference to the other contestants/ others involved in the contest for a continued learning experience. The major companies sponsoring the scholarship benefit from such knowledge transference particularly practical application scenarios.

While some posters have a negative view the OP's entering the contest for the purpose of coaching her friend, it is not clear that this is cheating and that the companies sponsoring the contest would frown on this. They want the most knowledgeable candidates and that may not preclude coaching in any form.

Many people assume competitive processes should be fair and the playing field level but that is not real world. The entity putting up the money gets to set the rules.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-19-2023 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.