Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,279,391 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! This is a fantastic idea to introduce yourself.

Knowing your neighbors, and vice versa, is, if nothing else, a great way to help protect ones neighborhood from crime.

Also, getting to know your neighbors in a social way can also be a lot of fun. I remember fondly those "block parties".

People who just go to work and go home and stay to themselves are just ole stick in the muds and not much fun anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,679,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

People who just go to work and go home and stay to themselves are just ole stick in the muds and not much fun anyway
Hhmmm.... I disagree with this statement.
Just because someone likes their privacy, does not necessarily mean that they are "stick in the muds! " It doesn`t apply to everyone.. I`ll put it that way.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:50 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,600 times
I don't do it, usually because my neighbors are annoying. I've yet to move somewhere where I could stand my neighbors.

First time I lived alone: I was renting a room from a family. One of the other renters, an Asian girl, was literally never there, stuff was in the room but it was always locked. Other guy was a jerkoff who was sleeping with the wife of the tenant.

Second time: I was in an apartment complex, tiny apartment. Guy above me had tons of cats and liked to blast his music while in the shower. He moved out, this stoner moved in with his (rather sexy looking) girlfriend. The girl was okay and nice, the guy was about to get slapped. Blast his music, rowdy frat boy type, laughing loud and whatnot with his friends, parking illegally, broken windows, you name it, he did it. I asked him to turn down the music once, he said (in stoner speak): "It's jus' music, man..." I almost knocked him one. Family next to me, Hispanic, kids would frequently bang and kick the wall. TV blasting as loud as it could go. Stench unbelievable when you walk by. The elderly lady behind me was the only one I could stand, I only met her when some skater brat pulled the fire alarm handle for the building.

Third (current) time: Upstairs apartment. There's a guy and a girl couple beneath me, Muslims to the left of me, beneath them there was some rather large women that had a live-in housesitter (weird). The couple under me are quiet for the most part, but the guy likes to play folk guitar which gets annoying. Their work hours are odd, seems' like they're home all the time. When they have kids over - not sure if it's nieces or nephews or what - the kids run ruckshot all over the place, slamming doors, etc. They have a dog that barks loudly at every ant that walks by. Doesn't matter what time of day or night. The Muslims have, every weekend, some get together with tons of people in their place making mad noise, and they love their garbage disposal - always running for one thing or another. The fat women moved out, this fat old guy and a young girl (his girlfriend) moved in...he smokes clover cigarettes which STINK and fill up the whole entryway, she's out of shape and walks around with her pants falling half off outside.

I won't even get into the idiots behind me, or the rampant amount of smokers.

I do not do the neighbor introduction thing and I'd rather they not introduce themselves to me. Unless they're just some sexy female who might need sugar every now and then.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,700,066 times
Question Anywhere but there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I don't do it, usually because my neighbors are annoying. I've yet to move somewhere where I could stand my neighbors.

First time I lived alone: I was renting a room from a family. One of the other renters, an Asian girl, was literally never there, stuff was in the room but it was always locked. Other guy was a jerkoff who was sleeping with the wife of the tenant.

Second time: I was in an apartment complex, tiny apartment. Guy above me had tons of cats and liked to blast his music while in the shower. He moved out, this stoner moved in with his (rather sexy looking) girlfriend. The girl was okay and nice, the guy was about to get slapped. Blast his music, rowdy frat boy type, laughing loud and whatnot with his friends, parking illegally, broken windows, you name it, he did it. I asked him to turn down the music once, he said (in stoner speak): "It's jus' music, man..." I almost knocked him one. Family next to me, Hispanic, kids would frequently bang and kick the wall. TV blasting as loud as it could go. Stench unbelievable when you walk by. The elderly lady behind me was the only one I could stand, I only met her when some skater brat pulled the fire alarm handle for the building.

Third (current) time: Upstairs apartment. There's a guy and a girl couple beneath me, Muslims to the left of me, beneath them there was some rather large women that had a live-in housesitter (weird). The couple under me are quiet for the most part, but the guy likes to play folk guitar which gets annoying. Their work hours are odd, seems' like they're home all the time. When they have kids over - not sure if it's nieces or nephews or what - the kids run ruckshot all over the place, slamming doors, etc. They have a dog that barks loudly at every ant that walks by. Doesn't matter what time of day or night. The Muslims have, every weekend, some get together with tons of people in their place making mad noise, and they love their garbage disposal - always running for one thing or another. The fat women moved out, this fat old guy and a young girl (his girlfriend) moved in...he smokes clover cigarettes which STINK and fill up the whole entryway, she's out of shape and walks around with her pants falling half off outside.

I won't even get into the idiots behind me, or the rampant amount of smokers.

I do not do the neighbor introduction thing and I'd rather they not introduce themselves to me. Unless they're just some sexy female who might need sugar every now and then.

Time to move to small town America for a little R&R!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:22 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,632,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. When I die, at least I'll be discovered within a few hours, not by police two weeks later when my neighbors start complaining about the stench and the flies.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Story time...

When I moved into Wilkes-Barre, PA with my wife back in 1992, it was like the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" - we pull up in a black convertible Corvette (with NY plates) playing Enigma on the CD player, me in black shirt, pants and sunglasses, her in black minidress and heels.

The neighbors, at that point mostly older Polish/German types, were peeking out their venetian blinds - you could see the little "O"'s their mouths made as they watched us move into "Maggie's house" (the former owner).

It took them 3 days before one of them kind of tiptoed over and asked their first question..."What church do you belong to?"

Of course, I smiled disarmingly and answered "No church - I'm a Taoist".

"A dowist?"
"Yes"
"What do dowists DO?"
"Mainly we teach our children to think on their own, be responsible for their actions, observe and learn from nature...
"That's nice..."
"...oh, and we have a bimonthly sacrifice but it's nothing major, just a small ceremony"

Didn't see the neighbors for the rest of the year.
Wish I saw that, but I can almost picture it!

It might be different in other states, but we're generally not too neighborly here... I moved to a brand new house 4 months ago, so all the neighbors closed at about the same time. Met them all while moving in and this was almost the last I saw of them. Occasionally notice/hear garage doors opening and that's it... It's OK, though. As long as they don't annoy me, I love 'em!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM

22,352 posts, read 29,465,198 times
The neighbors introduced themselves before I could do it to them (there's only 3 of us living here at current time). Otherwise, I would have made it out there myself. I think it's important to meet your neighbors and to give them your contact info for emergencies. I think that will help ease the tension

Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,560,806 times
No, I keep to myself and let them wonder.....

I do not introduce myself to new neighbors when I move in, I introduce myself to new neighbors who move in and welcome them to the neighborhood. I woudln't show up at a friends party and start intorducing myself either. I'd expect the host to do that. Since I already live here, I'm the host so I introduce myself to them and them to other neighbors when I happen to see them out.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 54,277 times
Default "what do you need"?

I understand most people acted ill at ease and said one of the three conversation enders:

"What do you want?"

"What can I do for you?"

"I would like to talk but I am in the middle of something"
----------
In other words they were somewhat polite but sent a message they they wanted her to go away!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,611,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Story time...

When I moved into Wilkes-Barre, PA with my wife back in 1992, it was like the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" - we pull up in a black convertible Corvette (with NY plates) playing Enigma on the CD player, me in black shirt, pants and sunglasses, her in black minidress and heels.
did someone call me?

oooohhhhh my gawd, what a freakin noightmare, are you saying you didn't blend?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships