Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

OK, some of you might know that my brother will be getting married at my home next summer. I am in charge of most of the plans since my brother and his fiancee' live overseas and his fiancee's parents live about 500 miles away from me.

My brother and his fiancee will be coming back to the states for Christmas, she will be going to her famlies home and my brother will be coming here. After Christmas the plan is for his fiancee', her parents and her brother to come here for 5 days!

I have never met her parents and brother...what do I do with them?

Some of the time will be spent going over wedding plans but that will not take tons of time.

One of my problems is this...my husband and father will not be able to take that week off to entertain the men with golf or whatever men do.

Do I plan the whole week? They will not be staying with me so I am wondering if I should have meals planned? Events during the day? Night?

I am a bit overwhelmed! In some ways it would be better if they stayed in my home so they could take walks in the neighborhood, etc.

This would not be so hard if I knew them and if it was not the week after Christmas...

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i think that if you have other family in the area you should spend time takin the in laws to visit the new family. this will do a couple of things. it will take some of the entertaining stress off your hands, and it will also add some familiarity when the actual wedding comes around. it wont feel like a bunch of strangers thrown together in a room.

if you dont have other family in the area. take them to the local areas of interest. museums, parks, boutiques, etc.

dont over plan, as they might just want to relax a bit. make sure to discuss this with your bro as some people might be a bit special in their needs (dislike of cold weather, walking, sea food, etc)

plan a nice home dinner at the end of their stay. have an eat out night at a local restaurant one night. visit potential picture spots for the wedding day. plan to meet with the caterer to taste the food. that way everyone feels like a part of the planning. if the men think its too girly to go food tasting, tell them there will be liqour involved. dont over do the wedding specs stuff, but include it. and just relax. it will be ok. there will be plenty of things to do. if i think of other suggestions i will add them.

oh, theres always midnight bowling!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Is there any way you can start an email conversation with the fiancee's mother?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
You could of course ask your brother to ask his fiancee for any helpful hints. Or her directly.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Where are they staying? Will they have a car? I would try and talk to them or be in e-mail contact beforehand. I'm sure they are feeling as awkward as you about the situation. Talk to them if you can and voice your concerns. I'm sure they will understand. Good luck.

Lisa

Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 PM

I have talked to her mother a few times...she seems nice enough...it is just hard to gauge what they will want to do.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have talked to her mother a few times...she seems nice enough...it is just hard to gauge what they will want to do.
Hello! You're their extended family that happens to live in town, not their babysitter.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hello! You're their extended family that happens to live in town, not their babysitter.
I know but I have to be hospitable and have some things lined up...Martha Stewart said so!!!

Hopefully it will not be cold and we can go on some sightseeing trips in the city.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
I take it her parents are in the US, correct?

Maybe you could get in touch with them with several suggested day trips and ask if any of them interest them. This way, if you have time on your hands you can take a day trip.

Ask the fiancee what her parents would like to do. Do they generally like museums, theater, dining out, sleeping in, etc...

I would ask your brothers favorite relatives over to meet the fiancee (if they haven't met her yet) and her parents, maybe for coffee and dessert one day.

I would definitely ask the fiancee how to proceed. It definitely could be awkward if you don't get any info ahead of time.... But if you plan well (and I don't mean plan a schedule down to the minute), ask questions now, it will pay off during the visit.

Definitely ask about any dietary restrictions and food aversions, allergies etc. ahead of time too, like someone else said.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
She isn't their babysitter, no but almost. They will be in HER house. She's got to have SOMETHING up her sleeve or it could be a very weird 5 days.

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Definitely see what your brother/fiancee might have planned. Just so you don't go on making elaborate plans and they arrive and say "we wanted to take mom and dad here on tuesday and here on thursday" You don't want to go through a bunch of effort for nothing.

And if you are going to cook, see if you can do some ahead of time and freeze so you are not stuck in the kitchen slaving for other people the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships