Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM

943 posts, read 2,281,796 times

Advertisements

I had this internet friend for 10 years, we talked on phone, anyhow I got into an argument with her... and wanted to make up, and wrote her a letter, got no response, called house, and phone was shut off. She didnt tell me she was dying or very sick, [which was basis of argument in first place] and I found out she was dead one month after it happened!

So that is what I mean by limitations of internet friendship! Dealing with this was scary....Sometimes there is too much physical distance between friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Sorry to hear that, that's sad. But these things aren't just limited to internet friendships. I've known couples who are on again/off again, and during one of the off periods, one dies and the other is devastated upon hearing of their death. It sounds as though your friend didn't want to burden anyone else with her illness or perhaps just didn't want to face it, and chose to let go in her own way. Try not to let the last argument you had taint your fond memories of the previous ten years. Don't let it haunt you, she chose to deal with it in her own way or the only way she knew how.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Sorry to hear that, that's sad. But these things aren't just limited to internet friendships. I've known couples who are on again/off again, and during one of the off periods, one dies and the other is devastated upon hearing of their death. It sounds as though your friend didn't want to burden anyone else with her illness or perhaps just didn't want to face it, and chose to let go in her own way. Try not to let the last argument you had taint your fond memories of the previous ten years. Don't let it haunt you, she chose to deal with it in her own way or the only way she knew how.
I am thinking she was overwhelmed and am not going to hold it against her. I just wish I knew because there are things I would have done differently. I prayed to God to let her know. We did have some fond memories. One thing painful about this, she did share two of my major conditions, I thought she would make it, I always thought she would be one who would. I am surprised I have outlived her actually too which makes this more emotionally complicated.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
It's a hard place to be when something like this happens. I've had lots of "internet" only friends and then for whatever reasons communications just stopped and I often wondered what happened especially when I was unable to get a hold of them. In your situation, it's compounded because you found out that this person passed and that is sad for sure. I think you already did everything you can do and praying will help to bring some closure. I am sorry for your loss though.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It's a hard place to be when something like this happens. I've had lots of "internet" only friends and then for whatever reasons communications just stopped and I often wondered what happened especially when I was unable to get a hold of them. In your situation, it's compounded because you found out that this person passed and that is sad for sure. I think you already did everything you can do and praying will help to bring some closure. I am sorry for your loss though.
Thanks, yes I prayed about it. I was googling her name, because I had feared she gotten sick and even more ominously had written in letter "I am worried something is wrong, and you are very sick and not telling me" But I am ok now I am not crying anymore and have sense of closure, I do think she will remember fight either, and will forgive me in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships