Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 18,016 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I and our 2 girls would like to relocate from Pittsburgh Pa to North Carolina with in the next few years. I would like a tad warmer climate. I have doing reseach but not sure as to were we would like to go in North Carolina. My husband is disabled and I will be getting my LPN degree in a few months. My plan is to get a job b/f moving,, and being in the nursing field,, I dont anticipate that big of a problem in the job area.

I was just wondering on info about taxes and such.
For example:
I live in a 1000 square foot ranch style house. My school and county taxes per year run about $2000.00, sales tax is 6%, wage tax is 1%. We do not have property tax on cars, boats, etc.

Cost of living..exp. I pay about $5 for a galloon of milk, etc..
I am planning trips to scout out areas. I am looking more suburb or a bit in country.

I am realistic on this..there are pro and cons for all cities and states.

What is your favorite thing about NC...what do you hate about it?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Property tax will be lower.
http://www.dornc.com/publications/5yr_tax_rates.pdf

Sales tax is higher.
Income tax is between 6 and 7.75%.
Taxes | North Carolina Department of Commerce

There is a property tax on cars and boats.

Milk costs less.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersgirl97 View Post
Hello all! My husband and I and our 2 girls would like to relocate from Pittsburgh Pa to North Carolina with in the next few years. I would like a tad warmer climate. I have doing reseach but not sure as to were we would like to go in North Carolina. My husband is disabled and I will be getting my LPN degree in a few months. My plan is to get a job b/f moving,, and being in the nursing field,, I dont anticipate that big of a problem in the job area.

I was just wondering on info about taxes and such.
For example:
I live in a 1000 square foot ranch style house. My school and county taxes per year run about $2000.00, sales tax is 6%, wage tax is 1%. We do not have property tax on cars, boats, etc.

Cost of living..exp. I pay about $5 for a galloon of milk, etc..
I am planning trips to scout out areas. I am looking more suburb or a bit in country.

I am realistic on this..there are pro and cons for all cities and states.

What is your favorite thing about NC...what do you hate about it?? Thanks
Just FYI, in the bigger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh, LPN's are being phased out. Most hospitals there employ RN's. So you'll need to look for smaller towns and hospitals to find LPN work. Best of luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:45 PM

168 posts, read 494,510 times
sll3454 is right on all the monetary figures. I just moved a little over a month ago from Central Jersey to Eastern (Greenville/Winterville, NC) and I really have no complaints. People and weather are nicer, there is a bit more poverty in NC than up North, but not enough to be bothered by it. If you are an LPN, my area would be great because of PCMH and surrounding connected hospitals. Anyone who says schools up North are better is a liar, Public School is pretty much the same wherever you go. If you have any more specific questions feel free to message me, I'd be happy to answer them. I began looking in NC in May, and was down here by August with a few Glitches

Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
sll3454 is right on all the monetary figures. I just moved a little over a month ago from Central Jersey to Eastern (Greenville/Winterville, NC) and I really have no complaints. People and weather are nicer, there is a bit more poverty in NC than up North, but not enough to be bothered by it. If you are an LPN, my area would be great because of PCMH and surrounding connected hospitals. Anyone who says schools up North are better is a liar, Public School is pretty much the same wherever you go. If you have any more specific questions feel free to message me, I'd be happy to answer them. I began looking in NC in May, and was down here by August with a few Glitches

psssst...you might want to tell her what PCMH stands for

Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info!
I would guess PCMH is the big HMO company that runs hospitals and offices. We have UPMC here in Pittsburgh. Most hospitals up here dont hire LPNs either. I am looking towards Hospice. I just need a bit of experience before applying for that type of job.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersgirl97 View Post
Thanks for the info!
I would guess PCMH is the big HMO company that runs hospitals and offices. We have UPMC here in Pittsburgh. Most hospitals up here dont hire LPNs either. I am looking towards Hospice. I just need a bit of experience before applying for that type of job.
Just a guess, but I THINK she may have been talking about Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM

168 posts, read 494,510 times
Whoops, sorry so used to abbreviating it now Yes PCMH= Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville, a HUGE hospital, one of the biggest in NC that also does some hiring for other hospitals in Eastern NC (Washington, Ahoskie as well as a few others I believe).

Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks

Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
psssst...you might want to tell her what PCMH stands for
Yes, always remember that people looking to relocate somewhere are not going to know the "lingo", abbreviations, and acronyms used in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina