Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,804 times

Advertisements

Did y'all see the story all over the news yesterday about the 5 pound chihuahua who saved a toddler from being bitten by a rattlesnake?

Tiny dog saves baby from rattlesnake - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2007/07/23/tiny_dog_saves_baby_from_rattlesnake/?p1=MEWell_Pos2 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
horray for the dog but what is not discussed is why is the baby in location where snakes roam. Sounds like bad parenting to me and not looking after their little one.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 AM

143 posts, read 485,471 times
Snakes will generally avoid areas with lots of activity.

I wish people would stop automatically killing them: they're generally beneficial critters and I'd rather have a couple of black racers under my deck than a bunch of mice in the house!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Well, we have lived here 2 years so far.

Our neighbor's dog got bit by a copperhead and had to be rushed to the Vet at 3am.

We had a black snake get into our basement. Another neighbor had a black snake in her garage that fell from the rafters and grazed her head. Thankfully they are not poisonous. We have found several small/baby snakes in our yard.

Our latest encounter was with a bat that got into our house. I woke up at 1am to a bat flying over my bed.

Dawn

Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Well, we have lived here 2 years so far.

Our neighbor's dog got bit by a copperhead and had to be rushed to the Vet at 3am.

We had a black snake get into our basement. Another neighbor had a black snake in her garage that fell from the rafters and grazed her head. Thankfully they are not poisonous. We have found several small/baby snakes in our yard.

Our latest encounter was with a bat that got into our house. I woke up at 1am to a bat flying over my bed.

Dawn

This is a scary site I might have to rethink this move.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
This is a scary site I might have to rethink this move.
Snakes can be discouraged from staying on your property by removing their food supply and cover.

Mow closely around homes and outbuildings, and store firewood and lumber away from residences. Reduce mulch layers around shrubs to about 2 to 3 inches in depth to discourage small animals that snakes eat. Close cracks and crevices in buildings and around pipes and utility connections with 1/4-inch mesh hardware cloth, mortar or sheet metal. All doors and windows should have tightly fitting screens.

No outside clutter or over-growth, no food, no snakes.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,517 times
Exclamation Lilycat - Reply

Hi Liliycat - if you are still monitoring this forum - and I doubt it since your post was way back in 2007 and there has been no new posts to this since then. So otherwise to anyone else who may read this....I just wanted to point out that what you said about snake bites allow for time to take the dog to a vet, isn't always true. My daughter was living on Mayport Naval Base in Jacksonville, Fl and had let her doberman out in the yard one night only to later go searching for it since it hadn't returned to the house and found the dog dead where it obviously had been bitten by a snake. Of course there is no way to know what kind of snake bit the dog but she believed it to be a rattler. The lawns there are all well maintained but a heavily wooded area lies maybe 60-75 feet from their back door. So, at least some snake bites are more deadly than others and death from can occur pretty quickly. I understand there are a number of poisonous snakes native to that area.

The reason I was reading this forum was that I was looking for possible information to a situation that occured with my own dog last night. She's a mini-Aussie/Border Collie - about 6-7 years old. She was (as usual) laying on the footrest of my recliner with me while I was busy on my laptop. I noticed that she raised up like she wanted to get down. I told her to go ahead but rather than get down she just stood and was looking down at the floor. I realized she was watching something on the floor. I figured it was a mouse as we have recently been having problems with them. But she likes to chase mice. I don't think she's ever caught one yet but she gets after them. Anyway, by the time I noticed that she was scared and was shaking, I looked around the floor but didn't see anything. After thinking about it for a minute I realized she must have seen a snake on the floor. No doubt it found it's way into the house in search of the mouse/mice. Of course the snake had slithered away by the time I figured out what it must have been and looked for it. We do have some gartersnakes in the neighborhood because I have seen at least one or two for each of the last several years. So now I have to get REAL SERIOUS about eradicating not only the mice but the snake(s) in the house too.

My dog, I don't believe had ever seen a snake before. But she was shaking like a leaf last night for quite a while after the probable sighting. I didn't know that some dogs (at least her) would be so scared of a snake. I know a lot of dogs would have searched it out and tried to kill it. But she wouldn't even get off the recliner after that. She's a very intelligent dog and I noticed too that she is VERY CAUTIOUS today, looking around very carefully before she goes anywhere and shadowing my every step, everywhere I go. Poor thing, I feel sorry for her. This happened in Kansas where we don't have a lot of poisonous snakes. A few copperheads, a few rattlesnakes and some cottonmouths, but you very rarely hear of or see the poisonous ones in town. I was just curious about other dogs being so afraid of snakes. Humm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina