Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

314 posts, read 639,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Chapter and verse for each of these please.

Lol!!! You seriously didn't know all that crap was in the bible too? 1000+++ pages of laws written for people thousands of years ago, by people thousands of years ago, and you think it's going to all make perfect sense for modern times?

So manu Christians don't realize how great they have it that they were born into a sect that conveniently (well, conveniently for SOME) ignores Most of the hard stuff (like avoiding BBQ) contained invest swaths of the bible. Such cheaters lol. At least when fundamentalist Muslims try to justify their acts through religious verses they aren't ignoring half of the rules in their holy Book to do so lol

Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Too many replies for me to keep up with, but this one caught my eye:

Quote:
The issue is with people actively supporting a measure to remove / restrict the rights of a segment of the population.
Marriage is not a right no matter what your sexual orientation is. It is a privilege granted by the state.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 AM

314 posts, read 639,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
They tell me two stories.

1. You know how to copy and paste from an earlier post instead of bringing to light new arguments.

2. The intellectuals got spanked by a bunch of dumb hicks.

LOL! Christians: relying on "dumb hicks" to shout down educated people for centuries.

Seriously, I find it hilarious that you talk like ignorance (or "dumb"ness) winning as if it was a good thing. We don't need to listen to none o them smart people and their good ideas!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This amendment has made North Carolina laughing joke of the nation.

Letterman had a thing on dumb marriage laws.

In NC you can marry at 16.

In NC you can marry your first cousin.

In NC if you have sex with your Aunt it's a misdemeanor.
You can marry at 14 Itw/ aprents permission in NC. I've seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Well fellow North Carolinians, get ready to experience the ridicule that states like Alabama and Mississippi receive on a daily basis.
Not saying I agree with the law, but I think the above is hyperbole. Basically everyother state outside of the NE has passed similar laws. This is not a "hick" or "southern" thing but has more to do with the country's puritan/protestant heritage. This is the same country that outlawed alcohol less than 100 years ago. Something that as far as I can tell went against the Bible. Jesus didn't turn water into Kool-Aid and they weren't passing around grape juice during the last supper.

I think it's too easy and a cop out to say "the dumb hicks" passed the law and that the underlying issue of why it passed is something inherent to NC or the South in general.

List of U.S. state constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions by type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same-sex marriage law in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

Marriage is not a right no matter what your sexual orientation is. It is a privilege granted by the state.
Factually incorrect. Marriage was declared a fundamental civil right by the Supreme Court.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Why is it when David Letterman, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, etc. make jokes about our state, you folks get your panties all in a wad? Do these entertainers really have that much power and influence over your life?
No, Ernest, that's not it at all. Most of us live in areas that need jobs. This is going to negatively impact that. That's why it's upsetting.

The Republicans got elected because they said that they would speed up bringing in jobs. They need to go.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Leviticus 11:12-Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 22:11-Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Deuteronomy 14:8-And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Oh, and I put these up in the King Jame's version translations as that's the widest used version I was exposed to. Though, there are about 20 or so other very popular versions I know of as well...which version of God's supposed words do you consider to be the most accurate?

Oh, and before I forget, I think I'll throw in a couple more...

Deuteronomy 23:2-A bitched shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord. (In English that means no bastard or any of his descendants may ever enter a church...ever)

Timothy 2:11-I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. (Yeah, like 99% of schools don't have a majority of staff as women and you've never seen female senators or activists before...)

Luke 16:18-Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. (Well, that just nixed about 50-80% of the people who voted for the amendment...)

Deuteronomy 22: 20-21-But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the ***** in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you. (OMG! I think they just answered our problems with school overcrowding and teen pregnancy!!!)

Mark 12:19-Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. (Don't worry yall, NC and most of the South already has that well down pat...and is literally loving it )

Leviticus 18:19-thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness. (aka, her period...maybe if bible thumbers followed this more often, it would solve a lot of problems by them not reproducing so much)

So people...might I ask how many of these YOU follow?

Listen I said it in another thread if you don't know the bible, and only know bits and pieces don't post about it. All of those laws are old testament laws. If you knew what the bible said you would know that with the coming of the Christ the old testament is null and void. The old testament was a book of laws which no man was able to keep, and once Christ appeared they was done away with. At that point salvation wasn't based on keeping of the law(Based on works) anymore, It became based on believing in Jesus as Christ.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
The old testament was a book of laws which no man was able to keep, and once Christ appeared they was done away with.
Where are the Ten Commandments listed again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
...the old testament is null and void.
Again, Ten Commandments? Null and void. Interesting.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
mod note:

Guys,gals this amendment has nothing to do with the bible, lets keep this thread on topic please.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
I'm actually disappointed at this amendment for several reasons. And this is coming from someone who doesn't personally agree with gay marriage. However, to legislate against it I think is wrong and it is discriminatory. All citizens are protected by the civil rights amendment and everyone in this country had their own right to line terrier life how they see got. If the majority of people can make constitutional amendments why do we have legislators? This agreement was unnecessary given we already have a law on the books concerning this. If it id ok to legislate against gay marriage what else of out personal lives can the government legislate against?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina