Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 AM

31 posts, read 95,885 times

Advertisements

Any info on some of the best places to live, schools in NC would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glisco View Post
Any info on some of the best places to live, schools in NC would be great. Thanks!
Most of the state

Im sorry your question is a little to broad in this large state with a broad range of topography and different cultures and quality of life.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 AM

You're right. It is vague because going to be starting from scratch. Depending on which city my husband and I can find jobs then that is where we are going to go, not sure if we should start looking around Charlotte or Raleigh or Greensboro. I am looking to work in a hospital, I am a medical transcriptionist, and he is planning on training to be a mechanical engineer, right now works in texturing. We have four kids so good schools are a must also. Also we are looking to rent a house for the first year or so. Our main reason for moving is we are tired of winter so we are just looking for opinions on some of the best places to raise a family. Also looking for a place where there is something to do walking distance from home. Hope that is a little better and can get some info!!

Last edited by glisco; 01-26-2008 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Quote:
You're right. It is vague because going to be starting from scratch. Depending on which city my husband and I can find jobs then that is where we are going to go, not sure if we should start looking around Charlotte or Raleigh or Greensboro. I am looking to work in a hospital, I am a medical transcriptionist, and he is planning on training to be a mechanical engineer, right now works in texturing. We have four kids so good schools are a must also. Also we are looking to rent a house for the first year or so. Our main reason for moving is we are tired of winter so we are just looking for opinions on some of the best places to raise a family. Also looking for a place where there is something to do walking distance from home. Hope that is a little better and can get some info!!
Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro are all good choices given both your professions. I am a semi retired Civil Engineer and would advise your husband that any ME positions outside of the large cities is not going to pay well at all unless it is for a company with a suburban or country office..

From what I have seen of Charlotte it is a nice place to live and interact with people. It is close to the mountains.

I worked in Greensboro on a CE project for two years and loved that city. It too is close to the mountains.

My first recommendation however would be Raleigh as it just has everything you want or could hope for and we lived there for a year before moving to the country. It is about 1.5 hours to the beach.

North Carolina is a big state and everything varies from area to area but, overall, this is a great place to live, bring up children and enjoy life as it was meant to be enjoyed. You will never see skies any bluer than here

Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I guess I have no room to talk about the high for today is only in mid 50's with the low around 32.
All three cities have excellent hospital systems
Greensboro area seems to me fit your needs it is a great laid back family town.
I live close to Charlotte in the suburbs and it great for family too and there is communities near Raliegh as well but Charlotte and Raliegh have been dealing with more growing pains than Greensboro and you can more house and land for your money when you decide to buy.
If you decide to go the hospital route (medical offices are always an option)
In Greensboro I would try Moses Cone Moses Cone Health System
Also look into Wake Forest Baptist WFUBMC | Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem only 20 minute commute from Greensboro and also a nice city to live in.

If you choose Raliegh look up
DukeHealth.org
UNC Health Care — Home Page

Charlotte look up
Health Information on Gastric Bypass, Women's Health, Heart Disease and more
Carolinas Medical Center

For your husband I only know of one helpful source and that is in Greensboro area but Joel probably is a good source for leads across the state
http://www.greensboroconnects.com/MPACT_PR.pdf (broken link)

Each area has it own subforum for more specific questions on each area
Welcome to city data

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Thank you so much!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 AM

I will take 50's any day, it is snowing and 20 degrees here in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Quote:
I will take 50's any day, it is snowing and 20 degrees here in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. Thanks again for your help.
I concur with all of SunnyKayak's suggestions and can't add anything other than the fact that, compared to you today, we are having a heat wave at 36 degrees and rising to possibly 50 (?). If you own a snowblower sell it and by sun tan lotion and sunblock!

Welcome to North Carolina

Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 16,385 times
Default moving to north carolina

Thank you to Uncle Batz and to Sunnykayak for answering some of my questions about moving to North carolina and where to move. My family and I are looking to relocate there. We want a good place to raise a family with good schools and an slowed down lifestyle. We live in New York and its getting to faced-paced and I dont like it and dont want the kids to grow up always rushing!!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
There are many wonderful communities to be found in NC

I would like to recommend you check out one of my faves, Taylorsville. It is close to a larger city (Statesville) for medical care and employment but has its own great little school system and a close knit community. It is in the Brushy Mts, which are really small mountains maybe 1500 to 2000 feet tall, but still very scenic. I just love the whole area, hope you will too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina