Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:14 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think this is great for the Triangle. Regardless of your political leaning, this had got to make you proud of the Triangle and your state.

NC firm Red Hat picked to help fix HealthCare.gov - Charlotte Business Journal
OK they picked someone from Raleigh to fix a website. Is it that big of a deal?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
OK they picked someone from Raleigh to fix a website. Is it that big of a deal?
I don't see how it isn't. It bodes well that a company here in NC is helping to fix a national assignment. Would it be a bigger deal if it were here in Charlotte?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Knights BB&T Ball Park today (web Cam)

Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 AM

81 posts, read 158,762 times
As a 10 year Charlotte native that now lives mostly in Raleigh. Raleigh just has a better night life experience. Downtown Raleigh is extremely walkable with fun stuff to do in DTR proper, Warehouse district, Moore Square, Glenwood Ave, Hillsborough/Morgan/Hargett St area is picking up steam, and Hillsborough near NCSU ain't too bad. It's also very, very safe now and you can't throw a rock without hitting a bar, club, brewery, or seasonal event. In the end of the day Raleigh has a long, long way to go until it can be a world class city but it can be fun, more so than Charlotte. Yes, a transit system would be nice and I'm all for paying a little more in taxes for a light rail here but once you hit DTR you can walk to everything. DTR is also very lively during the weekend and seems like every other week DTR has a few streets block for some random event like Guy Fawkes day, Sparkcon, First Friday, Hopscotch Music Festival, and whatnot. And all you really have to do is find someone to drop your group into DTR and you're ready to have a good time and just take a taxi back home at the end of the day. For people that enjoy partying in world class cities like Barcelona it's nice to have a walkable city.

Charlotte is a little like LA. You have to drive everywhere to hit all the spots and everything is in patches/neighborhoods. I wouldn't walk from Uptown to NoDa, no way. There's a lot of things I really like about Charlotte over Raleigh but Charlotte needs the same level of density as Raleigh when it comes to nightlife.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
As a 10 year Charlotte native that now lives mostly in Raleigh. Raleigh just has a better night life experience. Downtown Raleigh is extremely walkable with fun stuff to do in DTR proper, Warehouse district, Moore Square, Glenwood Ave, Hillsborough/Morgan/Hargett St area is picking up steam, and Hillsborough near NCSU ain't too bad. It's also very, very safe now and you can't throw a rock without hitting a bar, club, brewery, or seasonal event. In the end of the day Raleigh has a long, long way to go until it can be a world class city but it can be fun, more so than Charlotte. Yes, a transit system would be nice and I'm all for paying a little more in taxes for a light rail here but once you hit DTR you can walk to everything. DTR is also very lively during the weekend and seems like every other week DTR has a few streets block for some random event like Guy Fawkes day, Sparkcon, First Friday, Hopscotch Music Festival, and whatnot. And all you really have to do is find someone to drop your group into DTR and you're ready to have a good time and just take a taxi back home at the end of the day. For people that enjoy partying in world class cities like Barcelona it's nice to have a walkable city.

Charlotte is a little like LA. You have to drive everywhere to hit all the spots and everything is in patches/neighborhoods. I wouldn't walk from Uptown to NoDa, no way. There's a lot of things I really like about Charlotte over Raleigh but Charlotte needs the same level of density as Raleigh when it comes to nightlife.
Uptown Charlotte is a lot bigger than Downtown Raleigh. To say there's more night life in Downtown Raleigh is inaccurate, regardless of which you prefer.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM

81 posts, read 158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Uptown Charlotte is a lot bigger than Downtown Raleigh. To say there's more night life in Downtown Raleigh is inaccurate, regardless of which you prefer.
Uptown Charlotte isn't all that big, in facts, it's rather small and most of it is dead at night like most of Second and Third Ward. Charlotte rarely closed down streets in Uptown to hold events while Raleigh does that a lot monthly. Regardless of preference, DTR promote a better experience than Uptown.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Uptown Charlotte isn't all that big, in facts, it's rather small and most of it is dead at night like most of Second and Third Ward. Charlotte rarely closed down streets in Uptown to hold events while Raleigh does that a lot monthly. Regardless of preference, DTR promote a better experience than Uptown.

So you moved away from Charlotte when you were 10?

Charlotte is much larger and much more walkable and much more night life.

I'm not sure how much a 10 yr. old back in the 90's is a good representation of Charlottes might life.

Please speak on behalf of your triangle and not our city if you're going to be inaccurate. And please..... "people who like walkable cities like Barcelona" has nothing to do with Raleigh.....

Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
As a 10 year Charlotte native that now lives mostly in Raleigh. Raleigh just has a better night life experience.
As long as that night life doesn't involve a late night movie, midnight bowling, Monday Night Football, Wednesday night Basketball, a major concert, AND bars/clubs; you're probably right. Then again, you did give a more honest description of downtown Raleigh on your local forum...
Quote:
RTP is the Catch-22 for Raleigh. It brings business but leaves DTR in a disorganized and underdeveloped mess and leaves the all the workers into isolated, dead campus spread out over massive patches of land. DTR needs more density and people if people in the Triangle want to have a place they can go to party. Right now there's a few decent places but a lot of bars and clubs go out of business all the time in DTR because everyone is living in suburbia and heading to McBar's 'cause it's closer.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...line-like.html

Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As long as that night life doesn't involve a late night movie, midnight bowling, Monday Night Football, Wednesday night Basketball, a major concert, AND bars/clubs; you're probably right. Then again, you did give a more honest description of downtown Raleigh on your local forum...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...line-like.html

Priceless

Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As long as that night life doesn't involve a late night movie, midnight bowling, Monday Night Football, Wednesday night Basketball, a major concert, AND bars/clubs; you're probably right.
I'm not sure on the late night movie thing, though there is an IMAX theater in downtown Raleigh with regular 9-10pm showtimes. You can do midnight bowling at The Alley on Hillsborough St on the weekends. Got no pro football (I don't care about it, personally), got way better basketball, got several different music venues, including Red Hat Amphitheater downtown which does host major acts like Ke$ha who was here this summer and all of downtown Raleigh was host to the International Bluegrass Music Association festival, which by all accounts went off swimmingly. There are plenty of bars and clubs, too. Here's a listing Explore Here :: Nightlife :: Downtown Raleigh .

I don't really participate in this thread much any more, but just read it for amusement sometimes. I'm not into the Raleigh (or Triangle) vs Charlotte thing, but just wanted to set the record straight on the above. Charlotte has definitely got Raleigh beat on pro sports, but any real basketball fan would much rather see the Triangle college teams play than see the Bobcats, no offense MJ. I think the Triangle has a much more vibrant music scene especially for original indie rock than Charlotte does, but Charlotte could have the Triangle beat in some other genres I don't keep up with. The Triangle is home to several significant record labels and bands/artists.

Charlotte definitely has taller buildings. Gotta give the Queen City that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina