Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Stop talking like your the voice of Charlotte. We have a vibrant urban core. I'm sorry Raleigh doesn't have one hense the reason you have to drive to Durham, Cary, etc. You say you don't try to knock Charlotte but you do and its not even a Charlotte vs Raleigh thing with you any more. Sounds more like a personal hate. Then you try and put Raleigh on the same level as Charlotte when its not. One day we hope to be peer city's with Atl, Miami, Dallas Dc, but were not there just yet. So stop trying to make Raleigh our peer because it not. We are about to enter that tier with those cities. We will be at the bottom but that's a huge stepping stone. No one gives a damn about this site because if I wanna know something about a place I go outside and go visit
I'm not even going to deal with a ignorant child.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
What did you do in CLT? Where all did you go?
I stayed uptown at Hilton City Center, went on boat tour at lake Norman. Took some friends to chicken coop. Good chicken gizzards lol. Went to dinner at Chimas($$$) but good. Had drinks at EpiCenter.
Breakfast at Midnight Dinner. Cool place.
By the way The Hilton is the best hotel in Charlotte I've stayed in. Better than Westin, and Omni IMO.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 PM

43 posts, read 118,442 times
I lived in Raleigh-Durham area for several years. Moved to Charlotte four years ago for a job. I always heard about how Raleigh was better than Charlotte. When I moved here, I was floored at how much I have ended up living here versus Raleigh and would never consider living in Raleigh area again after living here in Charlotte. Several things I have found and love about Charlotte is:

- Uptown - very happening and always something going on. The weekend scene is vibrant. I never saw downtown Raleigh this vibrant, even after Fayetteville Street opened up. Charlotte is smart and builds a lot in Uptown. I cannot believe that Raleigh built the PNC Arena in the middle of a cow field.
- NC Music Factory - great spot for tons of concerts/music and good fun. Raleigh durham is lacking here too!
- Professional Sports - NFL games and tailgating on Sunday's is awesome. I am an ACC Fan too (Go Heels) but there is something about the energy and vibe of the NFL that is more exciting (especially when Panthers play better). Also exciting about the Hornets upcoming season!
- Charlotte is very large and spread out - so much so it has 99 distinctive neighborhoods each offering something different. Raleigh is far lacking in this
- Mass transit - going up to uptown riding the light rail is awesome, especially on game day or on weekend nights to Uptown. One must drive everywhere to Raleigh. Now with connections from South Blvd to Airport that is a plus!
- Carowinds - not a bad theme park to spend a Saturday with kids every now and then. Raleigh has nothing like this.
- US National White Water Center - its awesome to go Mt. Biking, rafting, or chill out going down the river. Raleigh area has nothing like this.
- Charlotte Douglas Airport - love that we have a major hub here and tons of direct flights. It is in the top 10 busiest airports in the USA. RDU is lacking here.
- Restaurants - Both cities have great options!
- Farmers Market - Both cities have one and is great!
- SC Border - hey, cheap gas and other items! Another plus to Charlotte metro!
- Proximity to Beach and Mountains ---> Raleigh is 3 hours at least to NC Mountains. Charlotte is 1 1/2 hours, and in 2 1/2 hours I can be to Charleston, SC. Raleigh is closer to Wilmington area (2 hours), but Charleston Sc trumps Wilmington in things to see, eat, and do!

This is just my opinion of course. But I can say I love living here in Charlotte. No, it's not for everyone, but with Charlotte zip codes being some of the most moved in places in the entire USA here lately, it shows it continues to grow quickly for a reason. Raleigh is a good area too, but I just like living here so much more.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Urban planning huh? Thanks for the advice. That explains why all except one of the counties around Raleigh/Durham are growing at a high rate. Thanks for the lesson!
Seriously, you fail to grasp the most basic, fundamental, generally understood principles of urban planning, and you expect your arguments to be taken seriously? Being able to decipher a map that depicts county growth rates is irrelevant as it regards this particular point. Furthermore, those outlying counties in the Triangle are just bedroom communities; the core counties of the region, Wake and Durham, are getting all of the amenities as they should. People don't chose to live in suburbia because they want a bunch of urban development happening nearby; otherwise they would live in downtown. They want affordable housing, good schools, good roads, some parks, and decent retail, and they expect to travel into the urban core of Raleigh or Durham for true urban amenities.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-11-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 04:34 PM

All the major city comments are funny. Even though it's a better comparison by metro. I will play the game. City vs city. Raleigh vs Charlotte straight up. Will not even include Cary. Even though it's basically Ballantine but anyway. Time for all the major city talkers to put up or shut up! List all the things that are in Charlotte and missing from Raleigh. Charlotte only. No Concord, No Moorsville ect. Once this long list is made. This thread should be OVER. Mind you some things will be different. So different amenities of same value cancel each other out. But that shouldn't matter. This list should be so long that the N.C. has to see Charlotte's majorness. If that's a word lol.
Examples of things that cancel each other out.
NFL / NHL
NBA/College football,Basketball,Baseball
Carowinds/ N.C State fair. Both do a million plus visitors a year. ( only counting Charlotte half) other half inS.C.

With all the major city amenities it should be no problem blowing a little college town like Raleigh out of the water!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seriously, you fail to grasp the most basic, fundamental, generally understood principles of urban planning, and you expect your arguments to be taken seriously? Being able to decipher a map that depicts county growth rates is irrelevant as it regards this particular point. Furthermore, those outlying counties in the Triangle are just bedroom communities; the core counties of the region, Wake and Durham, are getting all of the amenities as they should. People don't chose to live in suburbia because they want a bunch of urban development happening nearby; otherwise they would live in downtown. They want affordable housing, good schools, good roads, some parks, and decent retail, and they expect to travel into the urban core of Raleigh or Durham for true urban amenities.
I grasp the point just fine. Thanks. My point is you surrounding cities get nothing. Or very little. Here Raleigh doesn't get everything. Most amenities in Raleigh, then Durham some even in Chapel Hill and Cary. Even a baseball team in Zebulon.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I grasp the point just fine. Thanks. My point is you surrounding cities get nothing. Or very little. Here Raleigh doesn't get everything. Most amenities in Raleigh, then Durham some even in Chapel Hill and Cary. Even a baseball team in Zebulon.
That's because there is more than one primary city in the Triangle. In the Charlotte metro, it's Charlotte then the 'burbs; Durham and Chapel Hill aren't suburbs. Even then, your point isn't entirely accurate because there's NASCAR and Concord Mills in Concord, the velodrome and BMX course in Rock Hill, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because there is more than one primary city in the Triangle. In the Charlotte metro, it's Charlotte then the 'burbs; Durham and Chapel Hill aren't suburbs. Even then, your point isn't entirely accurate because there's NASCAR and Concord Mills in Concord, the velodrome and BMX course in Rock Hill, etc.
I never said they were. I said not one place has everything. Or most things. Didn't know about BMX? To old for that now. But would have loved that in my younger days. I like walking too much for that stuff now lol.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I never said they were. I said not one place has everything. Or most things. Didn't know about BMX? To old for that now. But would have loved that in my younger days. I like walking too much for that stuff now lol.
Charlotte will have most things because it is far and away the largest and most dominant city within the region; the dynamic is completely different in the Triangle. And it's a professional BMX motorbike course in Rock Hill, like the Olympic sport:

Rock Hill, SC : Novant Health BMX Supercross Track

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
No, you don't grasp the point. Unless you're living in the early 70's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina