Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times

Advertisements

UNC Charlotte uptown campus

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
CISCO TO CUT 6000 JOBS

One of the Raleigh area’s largest employers, Cisco

Ouch such a low blow to Raleigh lol

Cisco to cut 6,000 jobs - Charlotte Business Journal
Are you really that ignorant or are you pulling our leg? Have you ever seen any post about job cuts or layoffs?
By the way it hasn't been released where the job cuts will be. Last report they were adding jobs at the RTP location. Low class!!and I'll leave it at that!!!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Are you really that ignorant or are you pulling our leg? Have you ever seen any post about job cuts or layoffs?
By the way it hasn't been released where the job cuts will be. Last report they were adding jobs at the RTP location. Low class!!and I'll leave it at that!!!!!
Hey it happens everywere in the states. Raleigh is no different. It did say that there are adding Jobs but at the lost of 6000 jobs. I just posted something that you didn't like and now your upset,get over it. No holds barred so I can post what I see fit (gasps). But yea I don't have time to get on your level of stupidity. Low class huh but you getting hype over a post. Man get cha life rite. Oh that is a post/link..........and a video for your pleasure enjoy.

Last edited by choloboy36; 08-14-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
UNC Charlotte uptown campus
What helps UNC Charlotte's Center City Campus is the dense neighborhood that's growing up around it.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hey it happens everywere in the states. Raleigh is no different. It did say that there are adding Jobs but at the lost of 6000 jobs. I just posted something that you didn't like and now your upset,get over it. No holds barred so I can post what I see fit (gasps). But yea I don't have time to get on your level of stupidity. Low class huh but you getting hype over a post. Man get cha life rite. Oh that is a post/link..........and a video for your pleasure enjoy.
No holds barred huh. Only a (insert) would think it was funny that 6000 people will lose their jobs. I'm not upset. It shows what I already thought of you. You have no class period. I am willing to bet none of the other charlotte posters think its very shows much class either. It's not the link its the context. You sound like a five year old. Raleigh lost 6000 jobs ha ha. Not really a laughing matter. Only a fool takes pleasure in other people's suffering.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
The company isn't headquartered in Raleigh; it just has a significant presence in the region, and the 6,000 cuts will happen company-wide. The fact that the company will still add over 500 jobs in the area bodes well for the Triangle.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM

601 posts, read 964,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What helps UNC Charlotte's Center City Campus is the dense neighborhood that's growing up around it.
It's too bad the land around the building is held by Levine, and he has been dragging his feet for almost two decades on developing anything on it. First Ward Village would be amazing, if only it existed.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
He is waiting for the spirit to more him. Spirit out to lunch.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
It's too bad the land around the building is held by Levine, and he has been dragging his feet for almost two decades on developing anything on it. First Ward Village would be amazing, if only it existed.
Yeah, the First Ward urban village is a great plan, but it doesn't appear to be moving forward at all. I doubt that area will remain undeveloped now that light rail is coming to 9th street.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm amazed at how this thread talks so much about universities, but mentions very little about community colleges (by FAR the most attended form of post-high school education in this state). It's a known fact that Raleigh has a major urban university thanks to NCSU's centralized location. On the other hand, UNC Charlotte will become (in 2017) the first university in this state to have light rail service on campus. This is all good and great, but how well are the community colleges' main campuses integrated within each city's urban fabric?

Wake Tech Main Campus (Raleigh)

Central Piedmont Community College Main Campus (Charlotte)

^^^For the record, the streetcar tracks in the Charlotte link aren't in service yet. Service begins sometime next year. My point in bringing this up is to show how both cities can sometimes out-do the other. In the case of major university locations, Raleigh wins hands down (even with Charlotte's light rail connection to a suburban campus). However, Charlotte's community college's main campus location is very centralized. To be honest, CPCC is more centralized than NCSU. CPCC certainly has better mass transit connections as well.

I don't have the link at the moment (someone feel free to find the link and post it), but I read some where that central Charlotte has nearly 25,000 or so post-high school students. Though central Charlotte lacks a major university, it certainly does not lack higher learning opportunities for adults young and old.

The following link doesn't give the number of central Charlotte students, but it does summarize quite well Charlotte's growing focus on the "urban campus".

Uptown Charlotte's Student Population Brings Business | Charlotte, NC Area Economic Development
Some info on Wake Tech.
68,919 total students 2012-13
27,819 in curriculum programs
41,100 in continuing education

Largest community college in N.C.
Second fastest growing in U.S.

Wake Tech WOW! - 2013 | Wake Technical Community College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina