Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The Charlotte posters are essentially making the same fallacy when they try to argue that more highrises getting built inherently means better. Charlotte has a better skyline than most cities in its size range. It has a better skyline than Washington DC and more tall buildings are getting built there at any moment. Does that mean it's more urban? Does that mean it's more culturally rich? Does that mean it has a better nightlife? Is it an inherently better city? No, and to say otherwise would be preposterous.

The numbers game is something I've seen the Charlotte posters engage in much more. Atowwwn has pretty much been arguing by himself for the past dozen pages, probably because the rest of us are fed up with the tireless efforts of Charlotte's vigilante chamber of commerce. But I felt like stepping in and demonstrating how easy it is to pick arbitrary things one city excels in to argue that it's better.

Here's an example, Charlotte's the largest metro in the state, yet the size of its craft brewing scene is diminutive compared to the Triangle and Asheville.

Brewery Map | North Carolina Craft Brewers Guild

Charlotte - 9
The Triad - 7
Asheville - 20
The Triangle - 28

Raleigh by itself has 9, for the record, matching Charlotte's entire metro area.

What's another arbitrary thing I could pick... live music venues?
Charlotte - 38 - Charlotte NC live music, concerts, Charlotte concerts, music festivals | Charlotte NC Travel & Tourism
Raleigh - 85 - Raleigh Concerts & Live Music | Venues, Artists, Events & Details

I mean this is clearly an incomplete view, but it's the kind of tactic that's been used over and over again to show that "oh, well Charlotte has this many of THIS in its downtown and Raleigh does not". You can do the same thing in the opposite direction. It's pretty easy to comb through dubious and uncertain numbers on both cities' respective sites and find something that looks good for one of them.
Obviously Raleigh has specific things over Charlotte and no one has claimed otherwise. I don't get the point you're attempting to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Downtown Charlotte gets 10 million outside visitors per year to Raleigh's 3 million, which urbancharlotte made a big deal about. Is it really a big deal? Pretty obvious with Charlotte's business engine centered in downtown it will naturally get many more business visitors, while Raleigh's business visitors will inevitably end up in RTP, where its economic engine is centered. As a whole, the two cities get very similar numbers of outside visitors actually. If you think people are traveling on vacation from far and wide in the millions to visit downtown Charlotte as an attraction, keep kidding yourself.
Concord Mills alone sees more annual tourists than the entire Triangle, let's not.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:11 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Led by health-care providers and financial services, Charlotte USA is a region with a large and varied workforce that supports a variety of industries. Here is a list of the region's top employers:
Carolinas Healthcare System: 32,500
Wells Fargo & Co: 20,500
Walmart Stores: 16,100
Bank of America: 15,000
Novant Health: 10,700
Delhaize America Inc./Food Lion LLC: 8,700
Duke Energy Corporation: 8,500
US Airways: 7,436

Wake County Major Employers
State of North Carolina 24,083
Wake County Public School System 17,572
IBM Corporation 10,000
WakeMed Health & Hospitals 8,423
North Carolina State University 8,080
Cisco Systems, Inc. 5,500
Rex Healthcare 5,400
SAS Institute, Inc. 5,159
Wake County Government 4,341
GlaxoSmithKline 4,140
N.C. DHHS 3,879
City of Raleigh 3,244
Affiliated Computer Services 2,915
N.C. Department of Commerce 2,884
Wells Fargo 2,800
Fidelity Investments 2,400
Wake Technical Community College 2,220
Lenovo2,200RTI International 2,135
Duke Energy 2,054
Verizon Business 2,000

Last edited by CLT1985; 10-05-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
As a native and current resident of Charlotte, and a former Raleigh resident let me just stay, AGAIN.

This thread is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed as a Charlotte resident. The clucking and strutting of the few DO NOT represent the opinions of the majority, I assure you.

Hundreds of pages, with many posters making hundreds of posts, rehashing the same tired old points hundreds of times. This thread has evolved into a slightly more sophisticated version of the "my daddy can beat up your daddy" playground argument.

Both metros are important to our state. Both offer their strengths and weaknesses, but to the average transplant they are so similar that it's not even worth pointing out the differences.

Please... drop the contest. The horse is dead. It died 3,500 posts ago. Y'all aren't beating a dead horse, y'all are beating a decayed carcass, a putrid fetid quivering mass of rotted flesh.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:43 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Historic buildings in Uptown:

Advent Christian Church (First Ward, 1919)
Armature Winding Company Complex (Third Ward, 1924)
Bagley-Mullen House (Fourth Ward, 1895)
Paul and Holly Beatty House (Third Ward, 1911)
Berryhill House (Fourth Ward, 1884)
Builders Building (Fourth Ward, 1927)
Philip Carey Building (First Ward, 1907)
Old Carolina Theater (First Ward, 1927)*
J. P. Carr House (First Ward, 1903)
Charlotte City Hall (Second Ward, 1925)
Old Charlotte Cotton Mill (Fourth Ward, 1880)
Crowell-Berryhill Store (Fourth Ward, 1897)
Old East Avenue Tabernacle ARP Church (Second Ward, 1914)
Old First ARP Church (Fourth Ward, 1926)*
Old First Baptist Church (First Ward, 1909)*
First National Bank Building (Third Ward, 1927)*
First United Presbyterian Church (First Ward, 1894)
Frederick Apartments (Fourth Ward, 1927)
Gateway and Century Buildings (Fourth Ward, 1924)
Grace AME Zion Church (Second Ward, 1902)
Hovis Funeral Home Building (First Ward, 1925)*
Johnston Building (Third Ward, 1924)*
Latta Arcade (Third Ward, 1914)*
Liddell-McNinch House (Fourth Ward, 1890)
Little Rock AME Zion Church (First Ward, 1911)
Lyles-Sims House (Fourth Ward, 1867)
Mayfair Manor (Fourth Ward, 1929)*
Mecklenburg County Courthouse (Second Ward, 1928)
Mecklenburg Investment Company Building (Second Ward, 1922)
North Carolina Medical College Building (Fourth Ward, 1907)
Overcarsh House (Fourth Ward, 1880)
Poplar Apartment Condominiums (Fourth Ward, 1930)
Query-Spivey-McGee Building (Second Ward, 1902)
Ratcliffe Florist Shop (Second Ward, 1929)*
Old St. Peter's Hospital (Fourth Ward, 1892)
St. Peter's Catholic Church (First Ward, 1893)*
St. Peter's Episcopal Church (Fourth Ward, 1895)*
Second Ward High School Gymnasium (Second Ward, 1948-49)
John W. Sheppard House (Fourth Ward, 1899)
Shotgun houses (First Ward, 1898)
Sloan-Davidson House (Fourth Ward, 1890)
Charles H. and Bess Smith House (Fourth Ward, 1923-24)
Stratton House (Third Ward, 1930)
Thies Building (First Ward, 1921)*
William Treloar House (First Ward, 1887)
Young-Morrison House (Fourth Ward, 1889)

* located on Tryon Street
That's a nice list. 25 or so are churches or old houses. It makes you list seem a LITTLE better than it is? I only used the national register as quick comparison. If I listed individual houses I would be here all day. Example the area directly around the Executive Residence is about 3-4 square blocks of giant old houses. Not to mention Historic Oakwood right next door. As for churches there are more old churches DT than I'm going to count. They're everywhere. You OBVIOUSLY don't know much about Raleigh. By the way the Wake list was short also two examples Lincoln theatre and all the buildings on Hargett St. Not to mention at least one building at Shaw.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Obviously Raleigh has specific things over Charlotte and no one has claimed otherwise. I don't get the point you're attempting to make.

Concord Mills alone sees more annual tourists than the entire Triangle, let's not.
Please prove that. As y'all tell me LINK?

Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
South Park is building 2 office towers currently with 2 more in the planning/developmental stages...
For some reason I'm not impressed

Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Please prove that. As y'all tell me LINK?

Concord Mills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Concord Mills is a nearly 1.4-million-square-foot[2] shopping mall located in Concord, North Carolina. The mall is in Cabarrus County, just a few hundred feet from the Mecklenburg County border, and about 12 miles (19 km) from downtown Charlotte. It is one of two malls in Concord, the other being Carolina Mall. Formerly operated by the Mills Corporation, it is now owned by Simon Property Group. ((((((((((((It is North Carolina's largest tourist attraction, attracting 17.6 million visitors in 2005)))))))))))))))[1] The mall is located about a mile from Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times
Raleigh tourism spending reaches $1.9 billion - Triangle Business Journal

Wake county. 12.6 million visitors
Concord mills 17.6 million visitors

There's your info

Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
As a native and current resident of Charlotte, and a former Raleigh resident let me just stay, AGAIN.

This thread is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed as a Charlotte resident. The clucking and strutting of the few DO NOT represent the opinions of the majority, I assure you.

Hundreds of pages, with many posters making hundreds of posts, rehashing the same tired old points hundreds of times. This thread has evolved into a slightly more sophisticated version of the "my daddy can beat up your daddy" playground argument.

Both metros are important to our state. Both offer their strengths and weaknesses, but to the average transplant they are so similar that it's not even worth pointing out the differences.

Please... drop the contest. The horse is dead. It died 3,500 posts ago. Y'all aren't beating a dead horse, y'all are beating a decayed carcass, a putrid fetid quivering mass of rotted flesh.

Tried to rep you, Native_Son, but I have to spread it around.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 AM

489 posts, read 911,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
For some reason I'm not impressed
Not saying you should be, just saying that your statement is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina