Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I don't get why this person thinks using the UN helps their case..

Charlotte and Raleigh top U.N. list of fastest growing large U.S. cities | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

UN's standard still shows Charlotte as clearly bigger...
You noticed the UN's definition of metro there, good. Look at the top graph, neck and neck. Overall, splitting hairs. All you've done is proven Raleigh and Charlotte are basically in the same league in everything except what people really want in a city/metro, Raleigh wins there as I have shown with supportive links time and time again. This does not take into account a fragile financial and energy based economy vs a more stable for the long haul education, medical and technology driven economy. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte....html?page=all The Triangle barely had a blip during the last recession that left Charlotte buildings as steel skeletons and the housing market plummeting.

wiki also shows they're basically the same size:

Raleigh/Triangle CSA 2,075,000 6.52% growth rate
Charlotte/Metrolina CSA 2,424,000 4.94% growth rate

Again, assuming no great recession between now and 2030 that would affect the Charlotte economy much more adversely.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
You noticed the UN's definition of metro there, good. Look at the top graph, neck and neck. Overall, splitting hairs. All you've done is proven Raleigh and Charlotte are basically in the same league in everything except what people really want in a city/metro, Raleigh wins there as I have shown with supportive links time and time again. This does not take into account a fragile financial and energy based economy vs a more stable for the long haul education, medical and technology driven economy. Raleigh is kicking Charlotte's butt in post-recession job growth - Charlotte Business Journal The Triangle barely had a blip during the last recession that left Charlotte buildings as steel skeletons and the housing market plummeting.

Again, assuming no great recession between now and 2030 that would affect the Charlotte economy much more adversely.
And also assuming no great boom which would catapult Charlotte further ahead of Raleigh.

And that UN link shows growth rates... Charlotte being slightly ahead of Raleigh. But when a city is already significantly larger and growing at the same rate (actually faster) then the gap will continue to widen.

But hey, if we use the rosiest of predictions for Raleigh, it may surpass Charlotte in about 160 years.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You do know It's pronounced No-Daw? It's not pronounced "duh" which you would know if you knew what you were talking about. Don't worry Almost every person who has never visit and knows nothing about NoDa pronounce is "No-Duh" .

For JoeTarheel and others interested:

SouthEnd & Uptown are the most dense in the city. Both are probably around 10,000 sq. mile

Here is a really good picture of SouthEnd in the foreground and Uptown In the background. I love this picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130887...-snZnxH-sngekW

It only show a little part of Southend but I loveee those townhomes in the foreground.

Here is an old picture of SouthEnd (There's been a lot more built since then)

ClearSkyImages will be posting 2 new albums of pictures today of Uptown & of NoDa. should provide an updated skyline shot.

Tallest buildings in Washington DC:

1 Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception 329
2 Old Post Office Pavilion 315
3 Washington National Cathedral 301
4 United States Capitol 289
5 One Franklin Square 210
6= 700 Eleventh Street 200
6= Healy Hall 200
8 Onyx on First 197
9= Renaissance Washington DC Hotel 187
9= 1090 Vermont Avenue 187

Old 05-04-2015, 01:14 PM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
You noticed the UN's definition of metro there, good. Look at the top graph, neck and neck. Overall, splitting hairs. All you've done is proven Raleigh and Charlotte are basically in the same league in everything except what people really want in a city/metro, Raleigh wins there as I have shown with supportive links time and time again. This does not take into account a fragile financial and energy based economy vs a more stable for the long haul education, medical and technology driven economy. The Triangle barely had a blip during the last recession that left Charlotte buildings as steel skeletons and the housing market plummeting.

Normally have you on ignore, but wanted to see your response. I think you are confused on how to read graphs. Yes, the growth rates according to the UN are very neck and neck, however from a population perspective, Charlotte is quite a bit larger.

As far as not taking into account a "fragile energy and financial based economy".. I'm pretty sure i'll trust UN research over some idiot posting lists all day, who clearly has no job, or at least a very poor one.

1.5M to 2.1M is Raleigh vs Charlotte according to the UN measurement you love so much, making Charlotte 30% larger, not exactly a small percentage by any statistic...

Not that size makes one city better than the other, just using the UN stats to argue Raleigh being as large is a pretty dumb argument..

Old 05-04-2015, 01:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Another poster came up with that and I knew what it meant immediately, you don't ? Maybe you'll figure it out one day
Are you trying to say Charlottean?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
About CLT Expansion of 2.5 billion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=n31G1dNqddQ

Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Normally have you on ignore, but wanted to see your response. I think you are confused on how to read graphs. Yes, the growth rates according to the UN are very neck and neck, however from a population perspective, Charlotte is quite a bit larger.

As far as not taking into account a "fragile energy and financial based economy".. I'm pretty sure i'll trust UN research over some idiot posting lists all day, who clearly has no job, or at least a very poor one.

1.5M to 2.1M is Raleigh vs Charlotte according to the UN measurement you love so much, making Charlotte 30% larger, not exactly a small percentage by any statistic...

Not that size makes one city better than the other, just using the UN stats to argue Raleigh being as large is a pretty dumb argument..
They are a LOT closer to one another than either is to Atlanta or Miami, statistically a tie by comparison, that's kinda my broader point, unless you compare CSA to CSA then it's only 15% difference with the Triangle growing at a faster clip. I guess you'll put me back on ignore now

Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
About CLT Expansion of 2.5 billion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=n31G1dNqddQ
RDU's had that same design for years, way to play catch up CLT

Old 05-04-2015, 02:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Quote:
Tallest buildings in Washington DC:

1 Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception 329
2 Old Post Office Pavilion 315
3 Washington National Cathedral 301
4 United States Capitol 289
5 One Franklin Square 210
6= 700 Eleventh Street 200
6= Healy Hall 200
8 Onyx on First 197
9= Renaissance Washington DC Hotel 187
9= 1090 Vermont Avenue 187

There is a law in Washington DC to limit buildings hights.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:18 PM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
They are a LOT closer to one another than either is to Atlanta or Miami, statistically a tie by comparison, that's kinda my broader point, unless you compare CSA to CSA then it's only 15% difference with the Triangle growing at a faster clip. I guess you'll put me back on ignore now
Please point to where I ever said Charlotte was in the same realm as Atlanta or Miami. Charlotte and Raleigh are closer to each other than Charlotte or Raleigh is to either of those cities. Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Nashville etc are peer cities in the 2-3 million group.

By the way, even by CSA charlotte is hair under 20% larger. Learn to do math.

Please note that I have not said Charlotte is "better" than Raleigh, just simply, larger.. and it will continue to be for quite a while. It is impossible to prove a city is better than another since the reason an individual decides to live somewhere is very subjective. Both cities are fantastic places to live.

Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina