Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This is so true. UNCC attract a lot out of state and international students. It is currently the fastest growing school in the system and I think within the next 10 years it will be the largest school in the system. Very soon the national reputation of UNCC will start to gain more attention nationally that we at Charlotte already know it deserves.
...and yet for all the "Charlotte is more urban and hip than Raleigh" talk, UNCC is suburban and nowhere near the urban core. Conversely Raleigh's and North Carolina's largest university (NC State) starts its campus but a mile or so from the very center of Raleigh.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...and yet for all the "Charlotte is more urban and hip than Raleigh" talk, UNCC is suburban and nowhere near the urban core. Conversely Raleigh's and North Carolina's largest university (NC State) starts its campus but a mile or so from the very center of Raleigh.
UNCC's newest building in Charlotte... All sizes | Charlotte skyline from The Vue condos | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/5448210502/sizes/l/in/set-72157625930233949/ - broken link)

YouTube - ‪UNC Charlotte Uptown Building Renderings‬‏

NC has included funds for future light rail service to UNCC.
Quote:
The new version of the Senate budget unveiled today has $28 million for a transportation fund that would help pay to start extending the Blue Line from uptown to UNC Charlotte.
Light rail money back in budget | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/31/2340200/light-rail-money-back-in-budget.html - broken link)

Like it or not, Raleigh has the higher tier university. Charlotte is the higher tier city. Let's move on shall we...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I believe the Uptown Campus is supposed to start Classes this Fall.

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2011/05/18/21/northeastern_G1K2NUM6A.1+Northeastern_UNCC_02.embe dded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg (broken link)

Not to Mention the Lynx Blue Line will connect the Uptown Campus to the Main Campus. And Uptown has been pulling in lots of educational institutions into Uptown.

Off the Top of my Head, Within 10 or so years, these institutions have entered into the Uptown Charlotte arena. Charlotte wants to draw Universities together in uptown so they can collaborate and such or somethin like that.

Johnson & Wales University
Wake Business
Northeastern University
UNC Charlotte
Queens University
CPCC (This one I'm not Sure of the date. Located in Midtown Right Outside of 277. Has Free Goldrush service to Uptown & Street Car will connect it to the Transit Center. Street Car tracks already laid mostly and will be up and running not to long from now)
Charlotte School of Law (Right outside of 277 but has Free Goldrush service to uptown)

All of these schools located campuses in Uptown and are connecting to uptown Charlotte to be in Charlotte. Thats the draw of these schools. They have buses loading up college students to Downtown Charlotte.

Charlotte's Urban scene is much much larger than Raleigh's.

I'm not Keen on using pictures to justify arguments, but

(Charlotte right Before the construction Boom. Before 50 Story Vue, 50 story Duke, 30 Story Bank of America, 20 story Nascar Building, 20 Story Skye Hilton Hotel, 30 story Catalyst, 20 story Ritz Carlton, 20 story Sierra Hotel, 15 Story UNCC, 30 story Avenue, 30 story Trademark and numerous fillers projects in uptown, midtown, South Blvd. and all around Metro Charlotte ) (Trademark and Avenue might have been finished, not Sure. They'd be bocked by BOA and Hearst anyway)

Raleigh currently (I believe)

I think what some people are saying is that the City of Charlotte itself is a draw to students/educational institutions and college students where as in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - Wake Forest the draw is the universities/Research Park/Name Recognition of the Colleges as opposed to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Wake Forest.

Comparing Charlotte to Raleigh is getting harder and harder as years go by because it's mostly Comparing Charlotte to a Group of Cities know as the Triangle. Sort of Apples to Oranges situation.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-31-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
You definitely bring a valid point. However, it is important to keep in mind the history of Charlotte, NC, and the history of UNCC. UNCC when it was designed it was designed to be a suburban community college. This was in 1945. Let's think about how urban NC was then. When UNCC became part of the system in 1949 it was still designed to be a commuter school until recently. I've also heard that UNCC was selected to be where it is so that it wouldn't be so close to to SC. I don't know how true that is. In the 1960s and 70s Charlotte was becoming to be NCs biggest city to a more regional player. There was the Odell Master Plan which was designed to alleviate traffic by having different nodes of business. These nodes included Uptown, Southpark, and another one guess where? That's right! University City. UNCC being located where it iss has turned the area into a sort of min college town and an important area. While, I say kudos to NC state location near dowtown, I like UNCCs location and how it has turned that area into a significant area of Charlotte. I'm not sure why it was necessary to point out UNCC was suburban.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Totally off the current topic...

Is it just me, or is there a "lowrise row" starting to develop along Morehead Street? The area I am talking about is at the right of this aerial photo.
All sizes | DSD_3626a 8xa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmw1/5367605224/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Is it just me, or is there a "lowrise row" starting to develop along Morehead Street? The area I am talking about is at the right of this aerial photo.
All sizes | DSD_3626a 8xa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmw1/5367605224/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
It appears so. Morehead in a sense is a bit of a warehouse district.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It appears so. Morehead in a sense is a bit of a warehouse district.
The warehouse district kinda looks more like parts of Noda near the main CATS garage and the YMCA on North Davidson. I would think that more developments would have to go up before I would compare the warehouse district with Morehead Street. Still though, I don't think there is an area of uptown to compare with the Warehouse District. Some parts of Southend and the area near the NC Music Factory maybe?

Most Raleighites will tell you that the Warehouse district is far from being finished. Most of it is still old unused warehouses. Again, such an area seems more comparable to Noda or Southend (Southend before the real estate boom and light rail). 20 years ago, southend was the ghetto with tons of old unused warehouses. IMO, this is where Raleigh's warehouse district is now. The good news is that rail road tracks do go through the warehouse district, so adding rail transit should not be all that difficult. Come to think of it, Raleigh's Jillians location was in the Warehouse district (Charlotte's Jillians was in Southend). I believe that Southend Brewery had a Southend and Warehouse district location too at one point (not sure on the exact location, but I do know Southend Brewery did have a Raleigh location; I am guessing that it was the warehouse district).

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the age of the university has to do with that. Even so, the Charlotte area has smaller, older campuses more urban in nature like Queens and Davidson.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As it was stated, that area is technically a warehouse district. I did a pretty extensive photoshoot of that area a few years ago; all it needs is a swift kick in the pants to become something like a mini South End.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As it was stated, that area is technically a warehouse district. I did a pretty extensive photoshoot of that area a few years ago; all it needs is a swift kick in the pants to become something like a mini South End.
I think we might be talking about two different areas of Morehead Street. Morehead west of Tryon looks like a small Warehouse District. However, Morehead east of Tryon (the area I am talking about) does not.

Warehouse District
warehouse district raleigh, nc - Google Maps

Morehead Street west of Tryon
300 west morehead street charlotte - Google Maps

Morehead Street east of Tryon
300 east morehead street charlotte - Google Maps

Take a good look at the tight narrow streets of Raleigh's Warehouse District. This type of development was torn down years ago in uptown "in the name of progress". We honestly don't have anything that is comparable to the Warehouse District. IMO, Raleigh's Warehouse District is the only part of downtown Raleigh that I am actually jealous of. All of those old warehouses could be beautiful loft apartments one day. We can never get back that which we destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina