Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 06:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville is what it is. It's a city that people typically are not going to choose to move to, especially when there's other options.

To each their own. There's worse places for sure, but there's also better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 10:07 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Fayetteville is just bad because of the lack of cool stuff to do. All the cool stuff comes to Raleigh or Durham or Chapel Hill. That's where the amazing art and music is. J.Cole, Fayetteville native, has his Dreamville music festival in Raleigh. not Fayetteville. It doesn't have anything to do with race or crime or history.

Durham is cool because it has cool stuff to do. Incredibly racially diverse city (which is also cool). People say crime is bad (I'll leave off my personal opinion), but Durham is cool because it has great arts & music & food & cool shops & great jobs that attract a lot of new people.

Fayetteville = boring. No cool bands play Fayetteville -- it's all has beens. The Crown Coliseum event calendar has Fantasia coming in June and that's pretty much it. Bunch of high school graduations in May and then Fantasia and then crickets. Compare to the DPAC calendar in Durham which is chock full, plus there are many other venues in Durham like The Carolina Theatre, Motorco, the Pinhook, The Blue Note Grill, American Tobacco Campus, the Boxyard, Beau Caffe, etc.

The art scene is hoppin' in Durham compared to Fayetteville.

That's what's wrong with Fayetteville.
In my honest opinion fayetteville's proximity to the triangle has very little to do with fayetteville's problems. I say this because the distance from Fayetteville to Raleigh is identical to the distance from UNC Charlotte to Winston-Salem; and Winston-Salem does just fine being that close to Charlotte. Carowinds is about an hour from the north side of Columbia and Columbia does just fine being that close to Charlotte. Spartanburg is 1 hour from Charlotte's airport and Spartanburg does just fine. Fayetteville has issues that are 100% local and there's no nice way to say it.....

Old 05-09-2023, 12:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Fayetteville is just bad because of the lack of cool stuff to do. All the cool stuff comes to Raleigh or Durham or Chapel Hill. That's where the amazing art and music is. J.Cole, Fayetteville native, has his Dreamville music festival in Raleigh. not Fayetteville. It doesn't have anything to do with race or crime or history.

Durham is cool because it has cool stuff to do. Incredibly racially diverse city (which is also cool). People say crime is bad (I'll leave off my personal opinion), but Durham is cool because it has great arts & music & food & cool shops & great jobs that attract a lot of new people.

Fayetteville = boring. No cool bands play Fayetteville -- it's all has beens. The Crown Coliseum event calendar has Fantasia coming in June and that's pretty much it. Bunch of high school graduations in May and then Fantasia and then crickets. Compare to the DPAC calendar in Durham which is chock full, plus there are many other venues in Durham like The Carolina Theatre, Motorco, the Pinhook, The Blue Note Grill, American Tobacco Campus, the Boxyard, Beau Caffe, etc.

The art scene is hoppin' in Durham compared to Fayetteville.

That's what's wrong with Fayetteville.
They do have the Woodpeckers in a brand new $40 million Segra stadium. They avg about 3,500 a game last year which is more than teams in Columbia SC and Memphis. The 10k seat Crown Coliseum has been around for awhile and has the Marksmen hockey team, Mustangs Arena Football team, and concerts/other events. In the next couple of months they have Fantasia and WWE. They have had Elton John, Jason Aldean and a ton of other artists over the years.

Its not like there is nothing to do in Fayetteville.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Fayetteville is what it is. It's a city that people typically are not going to choose to move to, especially when there's other options.

To each their own. There's worse places for sure, but there's also better.
You could easily say this about a lot of towns with a major military presence. I come from one in Virginia where people don’t generally choose out of all the places on a map to move to, Hampton. Not the worst place to live ever, but with essentially with the whole Eastern Seaboard open to me, no reason to return.

While I fully support anyone who serves, it can’t be denied the military can have an influential aura on an area a lot of non-military citizens just don’t dig.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:42 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You could easily say this about a lot of towns with a major military presence. I come from one in Virginia where people don’t generally choose out of all the places on a map to move to, Hampton. Not the worst place to live ever, but with essentially with the whole Eastern Seaboard open to me, no reason to return.

While I fully support anyone who serves, it can’t be denied the military can have an influential aura on an area a lot of non-military citizens just don’t dig.
I’m assuming you mean strip clubs, pawn shops, bars, etc…

Old 05-11-2023, 07:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Its not like there is nothing to do in Fayetteville.
I said there's nothing cool to do in Fayetteville and it's true! There is nothing cool about the place. It's boring.

I'm happy that they FINALLY have a minor league baseball team, but Geez Louise how freaking long did that take to happen! Freaking Kannapolis has had a minor league team since 1995! The Mudcats in Zebulon at Five County Stadium have been around since 1991. The modern Winston-Salem Dash have been around since 1997, but there were previous clubs in Winston-Salem dating to 1905. Hickory(!) has had a team since 1993! Greensboro has had a team for ages too. And of course the Durham Bulls have been immortalized in film and have also been around since the early 1900s in one form or another, moving their current much lauded ballpark in 1995. It's really nothing special for Fayetteville to be proud of FINALLY getting a ball club. I am happy it happened, but it's a perfect example of how boring and behind the times the city is. It took them sixty (60!!!) years to revive minor league baseball in the city.

@urbancharlotte, I wasn't saying it was the Triangle's fault that Fayetteville is boring. I think they own that all by themselves. Winston-Salem is way cooler than Fayetteville as is Greensboro. When is the last time Bruce Springsteen played Fayetteville? Greensboro gets tons of great acts and the Tanger Center has the whole Broadway series plus great acts like Branford Marsalis (tonight), and in coming months Ashanti & Ja Rule, Steve Martin & Martin Short, & Neil Degrasse Tyson. And Greensboro is about the same distance to Raleigh and closer to Durham, and Charlotte, not to mention Winston-Salem than Fayetteville is.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:34 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I understand what you're saying.

But even then, I've been to other military towns (Augusta, Columbia, Norfolk) and while they have challenges, they all in my opinion are just better than Fayetteville. I've never actually been to Hampton (just through it) but it's part of that Tidewater metro area and has a water setting that a lot of places don't have. I kind of get the sense Hampton could be more revitalized because of its geography whereas Fayetteville pretty much is what it is.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:43 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Cant compare the Triad to Fayetteville. The Triad has a population of about $1.7 million. That's why they have the amenities, airport and road infrastructure they have

Fayetteville metro area is about 500k.

It is more similar to Augusta Georgia, which if you took away the Masters what would you have there?

Old 05-12-2023, 01:52 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Cant compare the Triad to Fayetteville. The Triad has a population of about $1.7 million. That's why they have the amenities, airport and road infrastructure they have

It is more similar to Augusta Georgia, which if you took away the Masters what would you have there?
And Savannah has a metropolitan population of 400,000; so I definitely wouldn't go by the metro size. Regardless of metropolitan population Fayetteville could and should do better....

Old 05-12-2023, 03:34 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:

My issue with Fayetteville is completely unrelated to the Triad. Not a fan of the strip clubs, pawn shops, bars, and seediness in places… Maybe this is just a thing with cities with bases. Pensacola also has some of this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina