Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 AM

693 posts, read 2,177,833 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Would you all be so kind as to answer this seemingly obvious question that I keep meaning to ask.

When driving can you make a right on red here in NC, as long as there isn't a sign that says "NO RIGHT ON RED"?

OR

You can only make a right on red when a sign specifically says its allowed, otherwise its illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Hi!

Would you all be so kind as to answer this seemingly obvious question that I keep meaning to ask.

When driving can you make a right on red here in NC, as long as there isn't a sign that says "NO RIGHT ON RED"?

OR

You can only make a right on red when a sign specifically says its allowed, otherwise its illegal.
Smart to ask if you aren't sure!

Right on red allowable, unless otherwise posted.

Same for U-turns - allowed unless otherwise posted.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
You will probably learn right on red is ok when someone behind you is blaring their horn

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You will probably learn right on red is ok when someone behind you is blaring their horn

Hee Hee Hee. Sooooooo true.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks all, DH and I have been squabbling about this since the day we moved in.

Ah, its a good day when I can say to DH "I was right and you were wrong" :-)

Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
There is some intersections that it ok to turn right on red and there is also a green arrow on that light and the thing that puzzles me is the street perpendicular to you is also given a green light to do a U turn but it also has a Sign U turn must yield to traffic.

It just an accident waiting to happen.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is some intersections that it ok to turn right on red and there is also a green arrow on that light and the thing that puzzles me is the street perpendicular to you is also given a green light to do a U turn but it also has a Sign U turn must yield to traffic.

It just an accident waiting to happen.
Yeah, we noticed that... thats what started the debate between me and DH. He assumed that because it would be so dangerous to do a right on red in that situation, that it must not be allowed. Thanks, Sunny.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,631,678 times
I've never understood the "u turn must yield" signs. If someone is turning right on red, they should not have right of way. The light is red, turning right on it is not mandatory. If someone is coming from the other side of the intersection and turning left on a left green arrow then they have right of way. Why wouldn't U Turns follow the same rule?

Also, Charlotte is the only place I've lived where people think it is OK to turn left on red. I've seen that several times in the city.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I've never understood the "u turn must yield" signs. If someone is turning right on red, they should not have right of way. The light is red, turning right on it is not mandatory. If someone is coming from the other side of the intersection and turning left on a left green arrow then they have right of way. Why wouldn't U Turns follow the same rule?

Also, Charlotte is the only place I've lived where people think it is OK to turn left on red. I've seen that several times in the city.
Turn left on red? Funny you mentioned that . . . people have actually asked me that before and I was incredulous. How could anyone think that is okay?

Someone told me it is allowable in Texas. I think they were just kidding.

Surely?????

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 AM

157 posts, read 791,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Turn left on red? Funny you mentioned that . . . people have actually asked me that before and I was incredulous. How could anyone think that is okay?

Someone told me it is allowable in Texas. I think they were just kidding.

Surely?????
Actually, in Toronto (and many other big cities) you can turn left on red, if you are on a one way street and turning onto a one way street. I have often wondered if this is legal in Charlotte too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina