Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
can someone explain why you would want folks to move to your state so that you could pay even more for their healthcare?

A typically-healthy 25 year old should ...

a. be earning a helluva lot more than $8K a year. that's a 20/hr/week minimum wage job. If they can't make that, they've made a choice that no one else should be required to subsidize.
b. not be forced to have health insurance, given their actual usage of the health system is so statistically small.
Judgemental, aren't you

It's none of my business or yours why the person in question has that income. There are plenty of people on both ends of the age spectrum who have been forced to subsist on minimal money since the economy collapsed. It's not a secret.

I recently read a post on another board from a poster in her mid twenties who graduated from college during the economic collapse who took a crappy job & has been trying to get a job in the field that her degree was in & no one will touch her & she was looking for suggestions to retrain herself.

The Medicaid expansion was designed to pick up people who cannot afford even subsidized health insurance. They are out there & have been out there. Just like there were millions of uninsurables before Obamacare. I don't like the new system but I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
if expecting a healthy 25 year old to work a full time job is judgmental, then I plead guilty.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:22 AM

353 posts, read 604,662 times
My issue isn't so much that a 25 year old is only making 8k a year - there can always be extenuating circumstances that we know nothing of - but with the fact that the 25 year old (or the friend of the 25 year old, in this case) seems put out that said 25 year old can't just pick up and move where ever she wants and be able to afford it, just because she wants to.

Your friend wants to move to NC? OK, here's what she needs to do.

First get three or more part time jobs where you are. That's what people in NC in similar situations are doing right now. You want to speed things up a bit, sell plasma every week and pick up aluminum cans and sell them to the recyclers. Low income people in NC also do this.
Next, take one or two of those paychecks every week and deposit them in an account and don't touch them. Do this for at least a year.
At the end of the year, sell everything she has and then she should have enough money saved up to maybe afford to move to a cheap apartment or mobile home in NC, with a little left over to live on for a couple of months while she finds two or three jobs to subsist on. If she can break that magic $11k~ (I may be off on that figure) income line, congratulations, she qualifies for Obamacare in NC.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
if expecting a healthy 25 year old to work a full time job is judgmental, then I plead guilty.
That was my point. We know nothing about the person. That person isn't even the OP. How do you know that the person is healthy? A person with certain physical liabilities doesn't get the same automatic bump into automatic admission for Medicaid. I gave an example of a post that I saw recently where the person graduated in a bad economy & took a crappy job & is now being denied jobs for trying to do the right thing.

I'm much more concerned by the OP thinking that a move to Asheville would be a way to get into the film industry. That's something concrete that can be dealt with in a concrete manner.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-09-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Asheville is possibly the worst place for this person to live. We've got plenty of people living in tents, panhandling, living in the woods, chasing butterflies. They come to live the 'dream' in the mountains, and hundreds if not thousands are living a nightmare. Most 25 year olds don't need healthcare coverage; the figures above don't make any sense for a healthy 25 yr. old. Is this person educated? does he have any skills? There are plenty of people who do a quick turnaround after finding out that jobs are scarce -- even with money in the bank and a college education.

Young people with pipe dreams are everywhere in Asheville.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Why move to NC even if poor? Because winters suck up in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I am looking to possibly setting down in Asheville, get into film production. My friend plans to escape the cold of the north too, do freelance gigs involving air travel, and enjoy what NC has to offer. Amazing how some can leave cheap on so little, but that Obamacare really seems to take a slice out of a meager income.
As an fyi, there is no film industry in NC anymore.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I know someone who is turning 25 very soon, and moving to NC, will be off her parents health care coverage. I just did an estimate for her online and it looks like for someone only making $8000 a year the obamacare premium will cost her close to $2000/year and that is with a $6000 annual deductible. Ouch. I am wondering how single people living in NC in poverty are able to afford the burden of paying $2000 in insurance when only earning $8000 a year? Something seems wrong about this. I checked and it looks like NC does not subsidize the cost of such insurance for people at such a level of poverty. Wow. Am I missing something here?
Yep, you are missing something.

I'm single and make just over minimum wage in NC. I applied for a policy on the market place, got a decent policy and my Subsidized premium is $33 per month. So you are definitely doing something wrong.

As I recall from the application process, you have to SUBMIT the application before they will tell you what your subsidy will be. At tax time, you submit your tax return. If, at that point, your income has been different than what you reported it would be, you get an adjustment. Then your premiums are adjusted as well. The subsidy does NOT come from the state, it comes from the Feds.

If you make below a certain amount (and $8000 is below that amount) the marketplace will refer you to NC Medicaid. Then you apply for that, and wait for months and months for your application to be processed. I think your friend should definitely apply asap and not wait for her birthday.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
NC chose not to participate in subsidized healthcare, which punishes the people who can least afford it. Our current state leaders apparently want to make sure low income and unemployed people don't tarry long in NC.
Wrong: NC chose not to participate in expanded Medicaid. The Heath Insurance subsidy is a federal subsidy, available to every US citizen.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That was my point. We know nothing about the person. That person isn't even the OP. How do you know that the person is healthy? A person with certain physical liabilities doesn't get the same automatic bump into automatic admission for Medicaid. I gave an example of a post that I saw recently where the person graduated in a bad economy & took a crappy job & is now being denied jobs for trying to do the right thing.

I'm much more concerned by the OP thinking that a move to Asheville would be a way to get into the film industry. That's something concrete that can be dealt with in a concrete manner.
we know they don't like the cold of Minnesota and Wisconsin - there was no mention of any physical condition exacerbated up there.

we know they want to "do some freelance stuff with air travel"...though for the life of me I cannot figure what that mean - but it sounds like it pays about $8K a year.

And we know she just wants to "enjoy what NC has to offer".

You seem to be painting me as some cold-hearted evil Republican that doesn't want to help the less fortunate. here's a big disconnect between our political positions. I am happy and obliged to help those who are less fortunate than I by circumstances beyond their control - whether that's medical/physical limitations, mental conditions, a single mom where the man has disappeared and not supportive of the children left behind. Everyone I know is also happy and obliged to.

We don't know anything beyond the (probably) anonymous postings on an internet forum, whether it be this thread or the one you mention. The whole "paid for an expensive college education in a field I can't get a job in" us a completely different matter - though by and large it is the result of a bad choice. In every case? ... no, of course not, but in most cases.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
we know they don't like the cold of Minnesota and Wisconsin - there was no mention of any physical condition exacerbated up there.

we know they want to "do some freelance stuff with air travel"...though for the life of me I cannot figure what that mean - but it sounds like it pays about $8K a year.

And we know she just wants to "enjoy what NC has to offer".

You seem to be painting me as some cold-hearted evil Republican that doesn't want to help the less fortunate. here's a big disconnect between our political positions. I am happy and obliged to help those who are less fortunate than I by circumstances beyond their control - whether that's medical/physical limitations, mental conditions, a single mom where the man has disappeared and not supportive of the children left behind. Everyone I know is also happy and obliged to.

We don't know anything beyond the (probably) anonymous postings on an internet forum, whether it be this thread or the one you mention. The whole "paid for an expensive college education in a field I can't get a job in" us a completely different matter - though by and large it is the result of a bad choice. In every case? ... no, of course not, but in most cases.
I'm just saying that you chose to latch onto a nebulous part of the post. None of us know this person or her circumstances. You chose to zero in & toss recriminations on that person. I chose to zero in on someone who wants to go to Asheville to get in the film industry. Other posters have zeroed in on the same fallacy that I zeroed in on.

So, if the shoe fits put it on. It seems to me that you're OK with someone going to Asheville which was never a center of the film industry, when the film industry in NC has, for all intents & purposes, left the state. But you would rather throw stones at someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina