Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 09:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
New Years weekend is in a few weeks. PLEASE be advised that traffic in and around downtown will be heavy that particular weekend. NYE is Thursday night, the Hornets play OKC Saturday night, and the Panthers play Tampa midday Sunday. If the weather is nice, crowds will be large. If you plan on riding the light rail into uptown on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday; CROWDS ON THE TRAIN WILL BE LARGE.

I only say this because I'd hate for you to come here and regret it because of traffic and crowds during an unusually busy weekend. Charlotte is fairly calm and inviting on normal days. During special events, it's a totally different story.

Not long ago, I went out on a date uptown and we decided to use the light rail (good idea). However, we went out during the Panthers vs Green Bay game (bad idea). The following is a cell phone pic of our train ride home.
Thanks for the heads up. I won't be there for NYE...I'm just coming for the Panthers game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 04:25 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Total visitor numbers might be a better indicator?????

A mall?? You have to be joking lol. So should I count the 6 triangle malls?? As some indicator of greatness??? Lol
Malls = shopping, a necessity to a city, so yes. You can count the 6 triangle malls, they still aren't going to attract as many annual visitors as Concord Mills. Concord Mills alone has more annual visitors than the entire Raleigh area.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Malls = shopping, a necessity to a city, so yes. You can count the 6 triangle malls, they still aren't going to attract as many annual visitors as Concord Mills. Concord Mills alone has more annual visitors than the entire Raleigh area.
I'd suggest getting statistics from someone more reliable than urbancharlotte before posting.

Concord Mills - 17.6 million

Crabtree Valley - 12 million
Streets at Southpoint - 12 million

Charlotte's biggest mall is slightly bigger. Contain your enthusiasm.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't make up the lists, urban — just post 'em. The Bulls rock. Super popular here. I don't hear anything about the Knights over this way, but I'm not a big baseball fan. The Bulls ballpark is part of the American Tobacco Campus revamp, which is awesome. If you haven't been there you're missing out. They have their own brewery too, new this year. They are the only minor league ballpark to brew their own beer or so I hear. (Disclaimer, I am acquainted with the head brewer.)

According to MiLB, the both the Charlotte stadium and the Bulls stadium rank in the top ten MiLB stadiums picked by the fans: Best Seat in the House | MiLB.com Fans | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball, number 7 and 9 . Can't beat that number one with the Pensacola Bay in the background. And what's with the stadiums with the pools!? Who knew? Not me. Pretty cool, but I think I'd rather just have a beer and sit back and watch the game.

BTW, lest this devolve into a Charlotte vs the Triangle thread, the Greensboro Grasshoppers were not mentioned on any of the lists I looked at. The Asheville Tourists were on one, but that's a different thread.

The Winston-Salem Dash were on the list you linked above. The Dash stadium has made several lists since it was built, including Ballpark of the Year for 2010 on baseballparks.com.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-16-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I can see why some might think the Triangle is the unique area. On the other hand, one could argue that the Triad is unique because it has the least amount of transplant infuence out of the 3 areas.

Having the least amount of transplants doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of them...the suburb of Clemmons, just outside of Winston-Salem, has a large Catholic church with over 1,000 families. Those aren't locals. The Triad hasn't been the recent transplant magnet that the Triangle and Charlotte have been, but people have been relocating to the Triad for decades. It didn't grow to a CSA of 1.6 million without loads of transplants.

You could bring up any number of characteristics that make each area unique. You could say that the relatively liberal vibe you get in the Triangle as opposed to Charlotte and the Triad makes it the odd man out. There are lots of ways you could go with this question.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Concord Mills alone huh? This post has so many issues I'm not sure where to start!!

Should I throw in the 2 Outlet Malls too??? That makes 8 I think.

Making half baked statements not based in facts proves nothing. Well on second thought it proves you and the rest of the Charlotte crew will just make crap up. In an feeble attempt to prove how superior Charlotte is. I'll let you in on a little secret. It's not working! All the GDP numbers inflated visitor spending or visitor numbers won't prove otherwise.

NC has two metros both wanting to be number one. Neither can shake the other because they both offer things the other doesn't. One has an awesome central city. One has two great partner cities. Different in form but not in strength. Both great It's all about preference.

The Triad is a great area but not quite ready to make it a three way fight. At this point.

So back on topic. Triangle and Triad similar in form. Triangle and Charlotte similar in strength.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I'd suggest getting statistics from someone more reliable than urbancharlotte before posting.

Concord Mills - 17.6 million

Crabtree Valley - 12 million
Streets at Southpoint - 12 million

Charlotte's biggest mall is slightly bigger. Contain your enthusiasm.
Well these statistics are technically true but I highly doubt there accurate at all. All of these where from wikipedia with Concord mills being dated all the way back to 2005. A good argument but I'll take anything from wiki with a grain of salt. Especially since anyone can update the information.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Concord Mills alone huh? This post has so many issues I'm not sure where to start!!

Should I throw in the 2 Outlet Malls too??? That makes 8 I think.

Making half baked statements not based in facts proves nothing. Well on second thought it proves you and the rest of the Charlotte crew will just make crap up. In an feeble attempt to prove how superior Charlotte is. I'll let you in on a little secret. It's not working! All the GDP numbers inflated visitor spending or visitor numbers won't prove otherwise.

NC has two metros both wanting to be number one. Neither can shake the other because they both offer things the other doesn't. One has an awesome central city. One has two great partner cities. Different in form but not in strength. Both great It's all about preference.

The Triad is a great area but not quite ready to make it a three way fight. At this point.

So back on topic. Triangle and Triad similar in form. Triangle and Charlotte similar in strength.
Lol...wait....What??? Who's this Charlotte crew that you speak of ? Man Atowwn i thought your account got deleted or something since it's been extremely quiet. Meaning you're the biggest Cheerleader for the Raleigh area but OK I'll play this game with you. Now we all know that if I included all the malls in the Charlotte region then that wouldn't be fair at all wouldn't it? Concord mills against any other mall in NC. Yes, it has the largest annual visitor's to date by itself but if it's getting tag teamed by Two of Raleigh's powerhouses then I don't know. Like I said in my last post those wiki numbers are from 2005. Like someone else said this isn't a vs thing right? Let's all play nice and try not to throw shade at one another

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Well these statistics are technically true but I highly doubt there accurate at all. All of these where from wikipedia with Concord mills being dated all the way back to 2005. A good argument but I'll take anything from wiki with a grain of salt. Especially since anyone can update the information.

Even if that statistic mattered, and I don't know the malls, they don't sound like unreasonable numbers.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Who the heck cares about MALLS?!!! Is that the best we can do in NC? I sure hope not. Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad all have tons of destinations better than any mall anywhere. I mean we can compare the number of WalMarts, too, but I sure as heck don't care, except maybe the fewer the better. What's next, the number of car dealerships? Grocery stores? McDonald's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina