Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:38 PM

464 posts, read 523,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I don't know about that. many state capitals are small, unimpressive cities. The only locational factor helping Raleigh was the fact that RTP got put next door to it. Without RTP, Raleigh might well still be smaller than G'boro.
Speculation doesn't equal fact, and the fact is Raleigh continues its impressive growth. Objectivity is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Speculation doesn't equal fact, and the fact is Raleigh continues its impressive growth. Objectivity is key.
Um, your comment about Raleigh having been "always destined for greatness" is speculation, not a fact.

Without RTP, what exactly about Raleigh's "location" helped assure its greatness? For that matter, what "greatness" does Raleigh possess?

Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Um, your comment about Raleigh having been "always destined for greatness" is speculation, not a fact.

Without RTP, what exactly about Raleigh's "location" helped assure its greatness? For that matter, what "greatness" does Raleigh possess?
How is it speculation when in the last 10 years Raleigh has seen substantial growth? You saying "without RTP" Raleigh would be like Greensboro ( which is a good city) is pure speculation. Raleigh is the dominate city in the Triangle easily lol.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
How is it speculation when in the last 10 years Raleigh has seen substantial growth? You saying "without RTP" Raleigh would be like Greensboro ( which is a good city) is pure speculation. Raleigh is the dominate city in the Triangle easily lol.
Its speculation because its an unprovable assertion. And I didn't say Raleigh without RTP would be like G'boro. And I never disputed Raleigh is the largest city in its metro. Please stop making things up.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:54 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Personally, I'm not a Triad fan at all. I went to college in Greensboro for a few years and it just wasn't my thing. Downtown Greensboro just isn't very nice, IMO. The entire city feels like a dated Raleigh, with the possible exception of the areas around Friendly Center. Northwest Greensboro suburbs aren't bad, along with areas like Summerfield. That's about it, though. Who knows, I know many people love Greensboro, but I can't see a point in picking Greensboro if you have a chance to live in the Triangle. However, I can't really comment on Winston-Salem since I don't go over there terribly often.
How long has it been since you've attended college in Greensboro? I left NC A&T back in the late 1990s and Greensboro was a smaller-dirtier version of Raleigh back then. Today, I'd rate Elm Street's activities and night life over Fayetteville Street's.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...geBankPark.jpg.

As the link above shows, Greensboro has come a long way over the last 15 years. A Triangle/Triad comparison makes sense.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-13-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
How long has it been since you've attended college in Greensboro? I left NC A&T back in the late 1990s and Greensboro was a smaller-dirtier version of Raleigh back then. Today, I'd rate Elm Street's activities and night life over Fayetteville Street's.
Amen to that. And prepare to be flamed.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 PM

241 posts, read 237,652 times
Quote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...geBankPark.jpg.

As the link above shows, Greensboro has come a long way over the last 15 years. A Triangle/Triad comparison makes sense.
Agreed. A lot of snobbishness coming out in this thread. Just my experience, I rarely visit Raleigh, despite commuting to Chapel Hill for work for 2 years. Never hear people speak of it as any kind of big entertainment destination. In Greensboro, if we want those sorts of aminities outside of our own area, we'll go to Charlotte. To be frank, for a city of Raleighs size and the capital of the state, Raleigh's downtown is a disappointment.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
That sounds interesting. I'm happy with Raleigh's nightlife. Even if Greensboro has better nightlife, I'm sure other aspects of the city would definitely feel too small for myself and other people.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Well, I have been to both downtown Greensboro and downtown Raleigh recently and while I do like downtown Greensboro, especially the older buildings which remind me of Durham or even Asheville a little bit, I don't think it's on par with Raleigh. Triad Stage is pretty cool, but what else is happening in downtown Greensboro that you like over what's happening in Raleigh? There's really no contest IMO for me. Love to see Greensboro coming up, but Raleigh has a lot more of what I'm interested in going on downtown.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Its speculation because its an unprovable assertion. And I didn't say Raleigh without RTP would be like G'boro. And I never disputed Raleigh is the largest city in its metro. Please stop making things up.
Nothing I said is unprovable, and your right, you didn't say without RTP Raleigh would be Greensboro, you said it might of ended up being smaller (speculation). You and the Charlotte crew can agree all day long about how every city in NC has a better nightlife than Raleigh, but I'm sure Raleigh is content with its growth and continued economic stability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina