Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Don't underestimate the ability to mobilize the hate vote.
John Edwards had a good shtick with the "Two Americas." We have "Two North Carolinas."
This is quite true.Trump has definitely mobilized them.

If Cooper can grab the left & the center, he wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 12,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ever since I was 16 and that for several decades back when the minimum was $3.25, the minimum wage is set by the state and not a city.
The NC Dept of Labor constitutes a uniform standard for wages, overtimes and breaks under the 'N.C. Wage and Hour Act'

If you want to change for increase contact your representative or work for then ask the employer for a raise. The way it should be, employer competes for a wage increase to keep its staff.

This helps to provide consistency, Nothing in HB2 is anything new, just clarifies what is already law.
There are people out there that are stating, that this law wipes out every anti-discrimination act ever passed in the state, including anti-discrimination against minorities, gender and religious views.

Sen. Jeff JacksonVerified account
‏@JeffJacksonNC
#HB2 also eliminated state law against firing people bc of race/gender/religion. Now NC and Miss are only ones in that boat. #WeAreNotThis

There is no way that is actually true. If it is, then wow.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:34 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The PROBLEM is Charlotte City Counsel. What parent would ever want the mother of the family to have to encounter a man in the women's rest room. I used to be a Democrat but changed my voter registration when the Democrat Party decided to be the sinful party. Murdering babies, booing Christianity, men in women's restrooms, etc. turns a persons stomach and you have to get away from the madness. If I were a Democrat, I would be embarrassed to tell anyone. You think you have seen the worst and then they do something worse than they have done already.

If corporate America has a problem with men using men's restrooms and women using women's restrooms, then I have a problem with them. And I don't care if they never come anywhere near our state. We certainly didn't need a rule telling us men are women and women are men. No wonder children get so confused these days. They have to be around too many crazy adults.
Of course you don't care if companies leave & take their jobs. You are retired & it doesn't have a direct effect on you, but it could have an effect on your children.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:03 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
This makes NC look horrible. What's happening to this state politically?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
This makes NC look horrible. What's happening to this state politically?
This is the fallout to be expected from the 2010 elections when the General Assembly went from basically middle-of-the-road, to holy roller, slightly to the right of Attila the Hun - crazy! NC went from slightly progressive New South viewpoint to a bringing-up-the-rear state in terms of social progress.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Hart View Post
There are people out there that are stating, that this law wipes out every anti-discrimination act ever passed in the state, including anti-discrimination against minorities, gender and religious views.

Sen. Jeff JacksonVerified account
‏@JeffJacksonNC
#HB2 also eliminated state law against firing people bc of race/gender/religion. Now NC and Miss are only ones in that boat. #WeAreNotThis

There is no way that is actually true. If it is, then wow.
I guess it would depend they are municipal or not.

I like Jeff Jackson, I follow him on Facebook, unfortunately I'm not his district but hope he will run for Governor in 2020 he seems to really care about Nort Carolina.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,834 times
I find it interesting that the leader of the group that led the fight for the ordinance is a convicted sex offender.

From this article:

Business community split after LGBT ordinance fails | The Charlotte Observer
Group says it will fight

Many of Charlotte’s top employers, including Bank of America and Wells Fargo, already have LGBT protections in place for their employees, said Chad Sevearance, president of the Charlotte Business Guild, an LGBT-founded business group and part of the coalition that originally proposed the ordinance.

And who is Mr. Sevearance?

North Carolina Offender Registry

And no, I am not saying that LGBTQ persons are all sex offenders.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:42 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times
I'm sick to death of all these bought-off, faux-Christian, straight (or closeted) white men trying to destroy equality in this nation: anti-lgbt, voter suppression, environmental toxification, destruction of public education . . . ad nauseum. As for all the fearful little people who are terrified of trans-gendered "predators": you seriously need counseling. I'm guessing that the statistical probability of a transgendered person attacking a woman or a child in a restroom is astronomically lower than the statistical probability of a straight white male doing so. What makes all you people so hateful and fearful? It's just depressing.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
You're so right let's let the safety of vulnerable boys and girls be sacrificed in the name of 'equality'. Pathetic.
What are you talking about? Transgendered women aren't predators. What in the world would give you that idea? This is simply fear that stems from ignorance. If anything, allowing transgendered women the option to use women's restrooms protects THEM from the significantly higher probability of being attacked by some macho lunatic they might encounter in the MEN'S restroom.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
OK, who really cares about this at all. It is a non-issue. Ever been to Starbucks. Everyone uses the same bathroom. Been to a college lately. This is an issue that riles up older conservative people. Young people could care less.
No kidding. I teach college and this generation of college kids are appalled by not only the hateful ignorance of the conservative older generation, but also by their creepy obsession with other people's sexual identities/lives.

But hey, what better way for these folks to get re-elected than by ginning up the fear-baiting, pre-election? They know that they can always count on their base to whip itself into a frenzy over the newest bogey-man and rush to the polls to protect . . . well, it's not really clear what they think they're protecting. Saw the same thing during the Civil Rights era, during the height of the feminist movement, etc. Same old, same old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina