Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

im from bladen county and fayetville was where we traveled for stuff (movies, lowes, whatever) my entire life.

Fayetville isn't that bad at all you can't distinguish its crime element from,say, durham

i think these days people just expect some vibrant culturally aware downtown and fayetville has just been slow to get with that development

growth in fayetville to my memory was ya know strip malls and big box stores

my mom worked in fayetville for like 15 years, hell she would drop (kid me) off at the books a million and bockbuster for the afternoon LOL I know a bunch of smart kids who came through school there and went off to good colleges and beyond

I think city data users lean liberal and have HUGE prejudices about conservative cities ---- not to say the economic conversation about eastern NC isn't on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

I think city data users lean liberal and have HUGE prejudices about conservative cities ---- not to say the economic conversation about eastern NC isn't on point.

you ain't from 'round these parts are ya? lol!

CD is about as Red as you can get. Ol' school Right. Some are moderate at best. The super minority is a true "liberal."

Good stuff about Fayetteville, btw.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
Quote:
im from bladen county and fayetville was where we traveled for stuff (movies, lowes, whatever) my entire life.

Fayetville isn't that bad at all you can't distinguish its crime element from,say, durham

i think these days people just expect some vibrant culturally aware downtown and fayetville has just been slow to get with that development

growth in fayetville to my memory was ya know strip malls and big box stores

my mom worked in fayetville for like 15 years, hell she would drop (kid me) off at the books a million and bockbuster for the afternoon LOL I know a bunch of smart kids who came through school there and went off to good colleges and beyond

Fayetteville is not a conservative city politically. It's pretty blue voting wise. Cumberland County even went for Gore over Bush in 2000. Socially though I agree with you that it's conservative. It's very religious, maybe not compared to rural areas but definitely in comparison to Charlotte and the Triangle. Grew up there and now live in a very blue metropolitan area. I come back every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't miss it but it's shaped who I am today.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:02 AM

172 posts, read 289,934 times
Default Went there - won't go back again

I had a relative living there temporarily and made a visit. The whole time was pretty awful, and I can't imagine anyone who is there wanting to stay there. Also, have heard it referred to as "FATALVILLE" more than once...

Old 05-07-2016, 09:20 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
I was trackside there last night from 10:00 PM until 5:00 AM today and never had the first problem or felt uncomfortable. The Hay street area is really nice now. It's like any other town, it's what you make of it. I don't have any problem with it...

Old 09-06-2016, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
My husband and I moved to Fayetteville, NC from Houston, TX 6 months ago. Most if not all of the people we have met here asks the question "Why did you move to Fayetteville, NC?" We both answer with a very jubilant reply of The Holy Spirit directed us, and that is the truth. We absolutely love Fayetteville's small town atmosphere. I love the fact that it is a military town, that most of the people have good manners, are very neighborly, respectful and spiritual. We live in the North Country Club area that we love. The quaint neighborhood is quiet, beautiful, walk friendly with bicycle lanes.

Yes we have heard all of the negative rumors, gossip, and maybe some truths. However, all of that is not deterring us from our comfortable, peaceful, quiet and happy life here in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 AM

13 posts, read 47,858 times
Fayetteville in part suffers from horrible city planning. All of the neighborhoods are disconnected from each other by massive roadways. So it makes it difficult to have a coherent feeling city-wide. There is no major city park. There are very few sidewalks. The downtown is small and surrounded by - again - over-sized roadways, plus tons of train tracks. Overall, these design flaws make it very hard to have vibrant neighborhoods, a neighborhood feel/vibe, and just overall more of a sense of community. There really is no sense of quaintness or charm outside a couple blocks in downtown and one block in Haymount. One of my biggest complaints is that you have to drive anywhere, even if you just want to cross the street. The roads are wide and the drivers are aggressive. I'm planning to move to Raleigh and commute to my job here.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 20,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Fayetteville is what happens when you take Jacksonville away from the coast and double the size of the city. If you're not working for the Military, you might as well be working retail.

IMO Part of the problem is that cities like Fayetteville and Jacksonville have relied so much on their military bases, that they failed to adequately diversify their job base/economy to include more stable sectors of employment. What I'm saying is anecdotal, but when there aren't many good paying jobs available, it gives people more opportunities to commit crimes.

It's also worth mentioning that just to Fayetteville's south is one of North Carolina's poorest counties.

This sums things up quite well. I lived in Fayetteville for about 12 years total, and still go there at least several times a month (I live in north Sanford now, closer to Raleigh). I was in the military in Fayetteville and stayed there after I got out. Retail is the biggest sector of employment there, and you are going to struggle unless you have a government job or are retail upper management. Many people in Fayetteville live in poverty with no way out of it, and I think this is the major reason for the high crime present there. The poverty is masked by the military/government presence however, so there is the illusion that things aren't so bad there from a career-prospective standpoint.

As one other poster mentioned, the city does seem crowded for its size and amenities, and this IS the case, because Fort Bragg is nearby. The infrastructure simply cannot handle the larger influx of soldiers (they added at least 10,000 more around 2011). Case in point: just last week, I had to go to 4 restaurants just to find a single seat at the bar, and that was all there was left. The streets are clogged with traffic reminiscent of Los Angeles (I know, I used to go to downtown LA once a month from 2012-2017) and it has gotten much worse since I first arrived in 1998.

As far as there being nothing to do in Fayetteville, that is simply wrong. There is plenty to do such as nature trails, rock climbing gyms, movie theaters, historic sites, clubs, cafes, downtown, and events (fourth Friday, Dicken's Christmas, culture festivals, etc.).

Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Fayetteville isn't a conservative city. It votes blue consistently.

The only good thing I can think of when it comes to Fayetteville is the cost of living is considerably lower than the Triangle.

There are some nice, well-kept, older homes in the Haymount, Forest Lakes and Vanstory Hills areas that I would love to have, if only they weren't in Fayetteville.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyt23 View Post
Fayetteville in part suffers from horrible city planning. All of the neighborhoods are disconnected from each other by massive roadways. So it makes it difficult to have a coherent feeling city-wide. There is no major city park. There are very few sidewalks. The downtown is small and surrounded by - again - over-sized roadways, plus tons of train tracks. Overall, these design flaws make it very hard to have vibrant neighborhoods, a neighborhood feel/vibe, and just overall more of a sense of community. There really is no sense of quaintness or charm outside a couple blocks in downtown and one block in Haymount. One of my biggest complaints is that you have to drive anywhere, even if you just want to cross the street. The roads are wide and the drivers are aggressive. I'm planning to move to Raleigh and commute to my job here.
that would be a long ass commute and would get old fast lol, I say either transfer when you get the chance or at least move to like Fuquay or Holly Springs so that you'll be in the triangle and close to raleigh but not driving that long ass commute every day to fayetteville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina