Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Oh wow, what did I start.

I completely understand the meaning and reasoning for the “Carolina” name in terms of major league sports, but it really isn’t needed. The Carolina Hurricanes are 3 hours away from the state line. The Kansas City Chiefs are named after the city the team plays in despite representing a metro area that includes Missouri and Kansas, Charlotte’s Panthers should be no different.
You shouldnt be making names for professional sports teams...those folks know what they are doing...

The most important thing is...TV MARKET. So by branding a hockey team that plays in Raleigh as the Carolina Hurricanes, it brings in a name that incorporates about 14 million people, rather than the 1.5 million or so in the Raleigh metro. Those are the people that may ATTEND them games, but the money is in TV ratings. The NFL is the king of TV ratings...and Carolina Panthers makes so much sense, considering Charlotte is the capital of the Carolinas...plural...its largest city, its banking center, its entertainment center...

Look at the difference the Charlotte Hornets have had over the Charlotte Bobcats....its night and day since the name change. But the TV angle continues to hurt them. They have to get their product on tv in Raleigh or Columbia...wherever...and they struggle with that because the Carolina's are so territorial in nature. I like the historical name of the Hornets as Charlotte's team...and there were reasons it was named that way in 1987....because Charlotte had not been recognized nationally. But its actually hurt the franchise.

As for the college teams, I love the fact that both USC and UNC both call themselves Carolina. If that doesnt show how strong that name actually is, I dont know what does.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
My favorite thing in this thread is architect77 responding to Heel82 (who lives in Raleigh-Durham and thought teams should be named for cities) and saying "I'll bet no one in Raleigh has ever, ever, wished that Hurricanes be named exclusively for Raleigh."

Well... I guess we found one!

I like how the opinion of Heel82, who again, lives in Raleigh-Durham and thinks teams should be named for cities, results in architect77 saying, "My God, I'm about to wish for a petition to remove Charlotte from North Carolina. True North Carolineans are loyal to the whole state." So RDU person wants Charlotte Panthers = Charlotte be removed from state?

Good times.
Lol +1. This thread kills me sometimes

Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,151,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Look at the difference the Charlotte Hornets have had over the Charlotte Bobcats....its night and day since the name change. But the TV angle continues to hurt them. They have to get their product on tv in Raleigh or Columbia...wherever...and they struggle with that because the Carolina's are so territorial in nature. I like the historical name of the Hornets as Charlotte's team...and there were reasons it was named that way in 1987....because Charlotte had not been recognized nationally. But its actually hurt the franchise.
I think not having a team on the floor that anyone wants to watch (since the early 90's) is what kills the Hornets. Worse, the managers seem happy to remain in basketball purgatory forever; just good enough to always be on the playoff bubble but not bad enough to get draft picks that can turn around a franchise. We need to string together a few 10-15 win seasons so we can be competitive in the mid-2020's.

... and since we are off topic and talking franchise names, my vote is for the CARY Hurricanes. A Containment Areas for Relocated Yankees is much more fitting to have a hockey franchise than Southern states are.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times
UNCC Urban Institute article about urbanization of suburban areas including Ballantyne.
https://ui.uncc.edu/story/ballantyne...-redevelopment

Old 06-20-2019, 01:17 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
My favorite thing in this thread is architect77 responding to Heel82 (who lives in Raleigh-Durham and thought teams should be named for cities) and saying "I'll bet no one in Raleigh has ever, ever, wished that Hurricanes be named exclusively for Raleigh."

I like how the opinion of Heel82, who again, lives in Raleigh-Durham and thinks teams should be named for cities, results in architect77 saying, "My God, I'm about to wish for a petition to remove Charlotte from North Carolina. True North Carolineans are loyal to the whole state." So RDU person wants Charlotte Panthers = Charlotte be removed from state?

Good times.
And architect77 lives in Atlanta. Don't forget that tidbit.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM

7,191 posts, read 6,846,740 times
Air filtration company bringing 305 jobs to Wilson | The Wilson Times

https://www.nccommerce.com/news/pres...-wilson-county

Last edited by LM117; 06-20-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,286,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And architect77 lives in Atlanta. Don't forget that tidbit.
No way! I was thinking more like Mars or Saturn.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,949,637 times
Quote:

Good times.
Kansas City is a metropolis, an island unto itself out in the middle of nowhere.

Charlotte is one of hundreds of towns and is surrounded by smaller metros of all sizes.

The Carolinas are blanketed with towns and people.

KC is mostly a Missouri city with Kansas in the name, not all that different from just "Carolina".

Charlotte posters on here have previously wished the city could secede and not be associated with North Carolina. (Charlotte USA)

There's no love or loyalty for everything North Carolina like the rest of the state has and like Texans espouse for their state.

And here is another example of a Charlottean wanting to have an exclusive name for all teams.

That is the buildup to why I said that.

The suggestion that Charlotte is too good for the rest of the state bothers me, though it shouldn't because I've never come across an example as proof other than the affection for tall buildings.

Just be glad you're not in Virginia. Does that state have a major league team at all?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Kansas City is a metropolis, an island unto itself out in the middle of nowhere.

Charlotte is one of hundreds of towns and is surrounded by smaller metros of all sizes.

The Carolinas are blanketed with towns and people.

KC is mostly a Missouri city with Kansas in the name, not all that different from just "Carolina".

Charlotte posters on here have previously wished the city could secede and not be associated with North Carolina. (Charlotte USA)

There's no love or loyalty for everything North Carolina like the rest of the state has and like Texans espouse for their state.

And here is another example of a Charlottean wanting to have an exclusive name for all teams.

That is the buildup to why I said that.

The suggestion that Charlotte is too good for the rest of the state bothers me, though it shouldn't because I've never come across an example as proof other than the affection for tall buildings.

Just be glad you're not in Virginia. Does that state have a major league team at all?

1.) Charlotte USA isn’t a thing.

It was a business group. It was their group name. They’ve since changed it to Charlotte Regional Business Alliance after a merger with other business groups.

“The following is a short summary of the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance services for domestic and foreign-owned (planning to establish U.S. operations at any level) companies considering the 15-county Charlotte region in North and South Carolina as a potential location. Our services are provided at no cost to our clients while maintaining a high level of confidentiality”

Stop clinging on to the Charlotte USA thing. It was a rebrand during the economic crisis to move away from banking and diversify to the energy sector. They were trying to be gimmicky.

2.) Few Charlotteans have wanted to be part of SC. Particularly when McCrory, Berger and Moore were running the show and trying to take the airport, threatening light rail money, capping light rail for future projects, curbing how much cities can tax, threatening Charlotte over everything, redistribution of wealth bill, overturning Charlotte’s LGBT law with the bathroom law, etc etc.

SC was so moderate and rational compared to NC. They were luring businesses to SC over the draconian and regressive laws from NC. They tried to lure business, conventions, etc.

It was anti McCrory/Tim Moore/Berger and the GOP in power Charlotteans were against. Not necessarily the state itself. Were you proud of that trio?

3.) Tall buildings is dismissive of how nice of a place urban Charlotte is. So I’ll just dismiss Raleigh as city wotj no downtown and a giant suburb where everyone works in a very rural like office park that looks like it’s a nature preserve. There. Now we are even with gross mischaracterizations.

4.) VA thinks they are infinitely better than NC, that NC is a backwater State. No área is as educated as NoVa in NC. They’re not impressed by Duke or UNC. Etc etc. They can’t be bothered to be associated with the south. And they definitely don’t like to be compared to NC, particularly, politically. So. Hate to break it to ya. North Virginia is very full of themselves. Way more than Charlotteans. And I personally use Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte to talk about how NC is better than VA, lol.

And ironically. You’re the one who passive aggressively “insults” Charlotte for being Southern. News flash. It’s no more southern than Raleigh, Atlanta or any other southern city. And also. Being southern is a fabulous thing. And FYI. Raleigh is super southern. Sorry ‘bout it.

And charlotte posters are so arrogant and dismissive of NC but lol they like that podunk, hillbilly South Carolina, omg. That state is so embarrassing to be associated with, CLT sux.

I post probably on the cusp obsessively about Charlotte. I love Charlotte. You post obsessively about Charlotte but you hate it. That doesn’t make sense to me. I would never constantly post About cities I hate.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Here is a recent video showing Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Cargo District in Wilmington...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMN1YImJg2M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.