Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 02:30 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Why was the tower over half empty in the first place? Did another big company recently move out? I don't much history about it or who built it but I agree it's one of my favorites as well.
Bank of America is relocating it’s employees from Hearst to their new tower at Legacy Union.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium610 View Post
I'm not an architect, but it was pretty obvious to me why they went with this massing: b/c it made perfect sense!

The sarcophagus massing was one of the reasons why I was able to grasp the theme quickly. The inspirations behind the Hearst was Ancient Egypt. I thought the designers did a great job with the interpretation: the crown (inspired by the sphinx), the grand entrance (a nod to Egyptian religious culture), the gold lobby/staircase facing College St. (a reference to the pharaoh's wealth). I love architecture with stories; wish there were more buildings with this type of creativity instead of a glass box with little thought process.

The Hearst is clearly a tower designed for financial institutions. And with one of the largest trading floors in the country, reasonably to see why Truist (terrible name) wants to be in this tower.

I never knew about the sarcophagus similarities, neat!

So I assume you got the gist of the flared top filling in the void from the bofa setbacks like 2 jigsaw pieces.

It’s justifiable but the elegant setbacks that allowed sun to shine down to the streets in New York wouldn’t look as good with adjacent buildings filling in the voids.

I don’t like all is these new SF and NYC towers that aren’t perfectly vertical either.

Some skyline additions look like an earthquake just struck.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,075 times
Ellis is now going vertical.

Photo by Qclife

Old 06-15-2019, 05:57 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium610 View Post
It is fairly full, but BoA plans to move their employees to Legacy Union, Hearst to Ballantyne, that law firm (forgot name) to 300 South Tryon. I read that US Bank was also looking at this space, but since Truist got the deal...the only big chunk of space left would be the current Ally Center (after Ally vacates the building to the new one under construction). So there is a chance of a new building should US Bank wants to go that route.
Ahh ok well that makes sense.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I WOULDN'T EVER SUGGEST height limits or regulations for the crown to remain the tallest.

I was speaking casually as in it's so beautiful and befitting for the Queen city.
I get it. I think Frost Bank Tower in Austin looked great as its tallest but it's not all that tall. Now it's been eclipsed in height by a few residential towers that, to me, don't look as fitting as the tallest.

Quote:
But the zeal y'all have for buildings to keep getting taller says a lot about the value of these debates.

What exacty is being accomplished by going above 60 floors other than more expensive construction costs?

Charlotte's skyline already makes it look far bigger of a city than is in terms of population size.

While living in NYC I watched the LEED platinum Bank of America building be built across from Bryant Park.

It has some cool features like floor plates that with embedded tubes of recirculating warm and chilled water for radiant climate control, but I don't care for the exterior with is very asymmetrical.
Here you go, creating another strawman. I'm not seeing this "zeal for buildings to keep getting taller" in Charlotte as you say, at least not in this thread. There was simply speculation about a possible new tallest with a new bank HQ coming to the city, and since the NCNB days, the tallest tower in the city has been one belonging to the banks. This is the best chance for a possible new tallest to get built since the recession so naturally there would be some talk of this. But what's more important to most folks in Charlotte who follow development trends is an engaging street-level presence and good architecture. Decent height is a given due to economic factors.

I love the BOA Tower in NYC. I think the asymmetrical exterior looks great and why it works.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Developer John Kane and billionaire Steve Malik are making a play for the elusive downtown stadium. More info to come next week.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncfc-s...SOmWhiDxcfrxZY

Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 373,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Developer John Kane and billionaire Steve Malik are making a play for the elusive downtown stadium. More info to come next week.

$1.9 billion dollar project! Southern Gateway project is finally sprouting roots. Now I feel bad about not buying a house in south Raleigh.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

Raleigh and Charlotte fumbled last time. Now both are getting their crap together for an MLS team.

Of course I’m rooting Charlotte gets the team. I’d like to see a “Carolina” team in Charlotte. Maybe get South Carolina involved, locate the HQ in SC and have a stadium in uptown.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Very interested to see the stadium and mixed use development plan surrounding it. Will be great to see this large plot of basically nothing help extend the urban fabric of downtown south to I-40. Pretty exciting stuff.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte fumbled last time. Now both are getting their crap together for an MLS team.

Of course I’m rooting Charlotte gets the team. I’d like to see a “Carolina” team in Charlotte. Maybe get South Carolina involved, locate the HQ in SC and have a stadium in uptown.
The good thing about this is that all the talk is that this stadium and surrounding development is going to get done regardless of Raleigh winning an MLS bid or not. The men and womens professional teams have outgrown the 10k seat arena in Cary so I wouldn't be surprised if the initial plans are for a ~15k seat arena that can be upfitted to 20-22k to please the MLS if they did choose to put a team in Raleigh. Then as the article brings out, the whole area will be built as an entertainment district to keep it activated year round aside from just the soccer teams. I fully expect the plans to outline significant office space and residential/hotels for the land. That's actually the part I'm more interested in seeing the plans for.

So basically it doesn't have to be a Charlotte vs Raleigh thing. Obviously the ideal situation would be to have this plan rewarded by an MLS expansion but it won't necessarily hinge on it. Just has the potential to be a massive game changer for Raleigh even if Charlotte won the bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina