Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

I like the "idea" of the Malik/Kane development...specifically the location of the stadium, but I think the whole thing is beyond scale...this could hurt Fayetteville St, etc...rather than help.

What I would propose is ONLY residential/hotel around the stadium (so smaller scale than what is proposed)...imagine the sightlines of DTR on one side, the stadium on the other...while maybe the stadium itself has some commercial components to them...the offices need to be built closer to DTR to push more foot traffic to commercial.

Locating lots of residents this close to DTR would be beneficial as a whole. The reason its a good spot for the stadium is for parking and interstate access. Make sure there is a nice greenway/bridge pedestrian area to connect to DTR.

The rendering almost reminds of North Hills...too much office and commercial that is too close to DTR in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Raleigh doesn’t need to be built exactly like Charlotte. We haven’t in the past, we won’t in the future.

Well. I don't think Raleigh could even grow like Charlotte even if it wanted to. Whether if it wanted to or not. It can't. Of course, a large urban center wont ever define Raleigh. That's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is..... Raleigh has an area that fulfills a role similar to how SouthEnd fulfills a role to uptown. Believe me. I don't think Raleigh has an equivalent to SouthEnd by any means. Especially after the announcement today.

All I'm saying is, the patches of urbanism near DT Raleigh should integrate into a cohesive destination that is walkable. Not pockets cut off by dead government buildings and railroad tracks and highways. They can grow together. That will take DT to the next level. Being able to walk to the different parts without going through dead government centers.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 AM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
I'm not sure if this is still on the table, but wasn't there a proposal to build something in that triangular shape space bounded by S Saunders, S Dawson, and Western Blvd? Is that still happening? Downtown Raleigh is pushing that direction anyway.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I'm not sure if this is still on the table, but wasn't there a proposal to build something in that triangular shape space bounded by S Saunders, S Dawson, and Western Blvd? Is that still happening? Downtown Raleigh is pushing that direction anyway.
The Five Horizons proposal or the Gateway project? But yeah that was my point earlier. There's already significant plans or ideas out there to push downtowns boundary in a similiar direction anyway. This won't be an island of development in the future.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 AM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
The Five Horizons proposal or the Gateway project? But yeah that was my point earlier. There's already significant plans or ideas out there to push downtowns boundary in a similiar direction anyway. This won't be an island of development in the future.
Both! I couldn't remember the names.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Well. I don't think Raleigh could even grow like Charlotte even if it wanted to. Whether if it wanted to or not. It can't. Of course, a large urban center wont ever define Raleigh. That's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is..... Raleigh has an area that fulfills a role similar to how SouthEnd fulfills a role to uptown. Believe me. I don't think Raleigh has an equivalent to SouthEnd by any means. Especially after the announcement today.

All I'm saying is, the patches of urbanism near DT Raleigh should integrate into a cohesive destination that is walkable. Not pockets cut off by dead government buildings and railroad tracks and highways. They can grow together. That will take DT to the next level. Being able to walk to the different parts without going through dead government centers.
The government area is not really blocking integration though, not as of yet. Glenwood South isn’t trying to integrate with Peace University. It’s heading down Hillsborough to the Warehouse District which is integrating to the east. The government area is off to the side.

But the larger point is true. Downtown needs to integrate. For it to do that, it needs more living density inside the belt line. This is a giant start in that direction.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
A German brewer that’s been in business since the 16th century is planning a massive brewery in Charlotte that will eventually have the capacity to brew up to 500,000 barrels per year. That’s almost 25 times the capacity of Olde Mecklenburg, Charlotte’s biggest brewery.

Gilde, based in Hannover, Germany, has been brewing beer since 1546. The company’s CEO, Karsten Uhlmann, has lived in Cornelius for about a year as he and his team quietly put their plans together to expand into Charlotte, their first U.S. market.

Ultimately, Uhlmann said, Gilde plans to open a brewery in “a dynamic part of Charlotte” that’s roughly 100,000 square feet, or about the size of a department store.

Gilde’s decision to pick Charlotte was both logical and poetic.

Charlotte is a rapidly growing city with a bustling airport, Uhlmann said. It’s relatively close to Charleston, the port city through which it will import its beer, and Charlotte also has a sizable German business community. Gilde wants to take advantage of the growth of Charlotte, which Uhlmann called “a city in the making.”

To cultivate young new talent, Uhlmann, a chemical engineer, said he would like to eventually work with Central Piedmont Community College, which has garnered national and international attention for its manufacturing apprenticeship programs.

Although it’ll be the largest beer-maker in the state, Gilde’s Charlotte brewery will still be dwarfed by the company’s original brewery in Hanover. That produces about 850,000 barrels per year, Uhlmann said.

Once Gilde’s big brewery opens in Charlotte, its Embassy will remain open, Uhlmann added.

“We think we can build something with our heritage here,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-27-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The government area is not really blocking integration though, not as of yet. Glenwood South isn’t trying to integrate with Peace University. It’s heading down Hillsborough to the Warehouse District which is integrating to the east. The government area is off to the side.

But the larger point is true. Downtown needs to integrate. For it to do that, it needs more living density inside the belt line. This is a giant start in that direction.
True and that's what I had said a few posts up. There is a gap between to the Warehouse district that needs to infill. Not necessarily even towers. Renovations, rehabs, infill, etc.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM

23 floor office tower for SouthEnd Tech hub for Lowe’s. 1,600 jobs, 118k average salary.

This will be SouthEnds tallest tower.

This is just another of many recent examples of local companies (Lending Tree, Lowe's, etc.) moving/expanding from the suburbs to Uptown/SouthEnd. Also, companies with traditionally Suburban campuses (IE, Honeywell, Dimensional Partners) are choosing Uptown/SouthEnd when relocating to Charlotte.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-27-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 11:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
In a major nod to Charlotte’s growing technology workforce, Lowe’s announced Thursday it has selected the city for a 2,000-employee global tech hub, which will be housed in a new 23-story tower to go in South End.

The home improvement retailer said it is spending $153 million on the project.

Gov. Roy Cooper, Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and other state and local officials joined Lowe’s leaders for the announcement.

The 375,000-square-foot office is a joint venture between Childress Klein and Ram Realty Advisors. The developers plan to break ground in August, and the goal is to open the facility in late 2021, according to Lowe’s.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina